First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
2wd mode is front wheel drive? Why on earth would they do that? For a vehicle that is supposed to tow things, this makes no sense whatsoever. And no donuts. SMH
Perhaps a down-the-line OTA update will allow the driver to choose which wheels to engage in 2WD mode...front or rear. Both have pros and cons depending on the task at hand.

I'm with you on engaging rears for donuts...but I think once we experience the tank turn...donuts will be so passe.
Maybe I missed it, where did they say it was FWD for 2H?

That said, the system should be able to decide what two wheels have power depending on the situation and traction, rear 2 slipping, shift to using the front 2. If that doesn't work, flip to AWD.

...not like you are engaging a diff or anything.

As for the leg room, having driven more then a few European cars of the zippy form... the placement of RJ's knees is kinda how I drive all the time these days (people love riding behind me). Getting in my RAM feels like stepping into a bowling alley or sitting down in my front room (is there such a thing as too much leg room?).

At any rate, most of use are in the 5'6" ( the wife AND the 13 year old) to 6 foot range (y0) and my in laws are all like... Smurf size with the exceptions of my brothers in law... but they can ride in the truck bed.

So long as there is room for the kid and the dog back there, I'm good.
Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Does this news suggest that it could be towed with a tow dolly? More hassle than flat towing but not as bad as a full trailer? Dunno, i don't know anything about towing.
Something like this maybe? I don't have an RV, but maybe is a good tradeoff of complexity vs cost for the people who were planing on towing the truck.

Rivian R1T R1S Motor Trend Review: The 2022 Rivian R1T Is the Most Remarkable Pickup We’ve Ever Driven SmartSelect_20210831-210309_Google

hkb26

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S5
Clubs

I asked CS about this a few weeks ago and was told the back seats are identical in terms of legroom. If they do in fact slide in the S I can’t see how that could be a true statement.
Leg room is generally measured from the back of your butt to your ankle. So it doesn't really cover the empty space between the seats. So both statements could be true.

Dohmar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Skyline R32 GTR, Subaru Forester Turbo SH9
Occupation
IT Professional
Honestly, the main reasons I am completely disinterested in a refreshed Model S or X is the move to remove the stalks, door module controls for mirrors, and that damn steering wheel.

Over simplification made it a great deal harder to do common and basic tasks (like adjusting music volume, turning on wipers/misting, adjusting mirrors, adjusting vents).

Some stuff is fine (even better) to have in a touch screen UI that can be updated and modified to add new features or update existing ones, but there is a fine line between helpful and "OMG, WTF?"
Absolutely agree with this. Even something basic like volume control is better with a knob instead of a touchscreen. You want to be able to do a few things without taking your eyes off the road and having to focus on a screen.

I would want to see a volume knob or at minimum tactile up/down buttons (that are dedicated to the task), a button to answer/hangup phone calls, headlights etc. Some of the stuff on the centre screen is appropriate but just because you can control something on a touchscreen, doesn't mean you should. I found it very annoying driving my GTR with a touchscreen but no volume knob. Wasn't easy to change stations either since the steering wheel didn't have any buttons on it... ;\

Dohmar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Skyline R32 GTR, Subaru Forester Turbo SH9
Occupation
IT Professional
Living in South Florida I'd prefer a sunroof delete option. I'd actually pay to lose it completely. We almost never open the sunroof shade and it's just another potential spot to leak. Plus that, a lower CofG with no glass up there
I too would prefer a solid roof. Electrochromatic as an option.

Sponsored

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
After reading 11 pages of comments, I now know why Rivian decided to keep the vehicle away from reviewers up until now. The loud minority tends to overwhelm the happy majority. My goodness. It was a pretty glowing review on what they said was an “early” preproduction vehicle

Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T!
Clubs

After reading 11 pages of comments, I now know why Rivian decided to keep the vehicle away from reviewers up until now. The loud minority tends to overwhelm the happy majority. My goodness. It was a pretty glowing review on what they said was an “early” preproduction vehicle
No kidding. Like 6+ pages on the wiper stalk :oops:

Many of us that have touted this to friends and family have something from a third party to share. It's a fantastic review and reflects what the few others who aren't professional automobile reviewers have said as well. I've been ready... can't wait for the day I can actually take it home.

Most Remarkable Pickup We’ve Ever Driven

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
No kidding. I wrote Rivian earlier congratulating them about the great review, but after reading the forum, I was starting to doubt if it indeed was a great review...

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Both I think. Motor Trend got an advance look and no one else probably had access to the vehicle until their review was released. I think other reviewers will start to get their hands on the vehicle soon. On the Insideevs podcast, it sounded like Tom Moloughney might have been it talks with Rivian to get a review vehicle, but he didn't want to talk about it.

Notaevfan

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suburban, Silverado 2500, E39 M5, e34 M5, E36 M3,
Occupation
Home Builder
There are plenty of praise posts here. Nothing wrong with pointing out some issues. Cupholders......Plus, Rivian pays attention to this forum, so some of our complaints may be addressed. RWDmode......Most people have been waiting a very long time for these trucks and most of have not seen one in person, let alone sat in the back of one. Wiper controls, rear seat room, music options, this stuff matters to people. It's awesome to finally see a review, although duck's was more entertaining. I am highly anticipating reviews from this months drives, as many more of our questions will be answered (it's as if Motortrend didn't even consult this forum before their review) and hopefully we will get the pluses and the minuses. With everything that has come out over the past month, Rivian seems ready to make some deliveries, of a very high quality product, that breaks new ground in so many ways. Take my money please, but R1S in Montgomery TX, so I can probably hold on to for a while longer.

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Maybe I missed it, where did they say it was FWD for 2H?
the R1T can be switched to two-wheel drive—only the front wheels are powered, making it front-wheel drive—to conserve power in a drive mode aptly dubbed "Conserve."

It's interesting that this mode exists, considering that they said the vehicle should not be flat towed.

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
Honestly my two biggest wants are more buttons (or at least hepatic touch spots) for dedicated steering wheel controls (cruise control, volume, lane keep etc.) and a single thin row of toggle like switches at the bottom of the main UI screen (or AC vents) again for dedicated (maybe even configurable) controls like seat heating and cooling windshield heater, rear window heater, etc.

They could do something subtle like in the Navigators drive selector switches which would really be a functional help.

I mean the whole abandoning of buttons is okay, but come on now... I mean Rivian still has window switches so they can't be purists on the "no buttons or switches" ethos.

I love my Range Rover window controls, and would hope Rivian would do something like that.

Rivian R1T R1S Motor Trend Review: The 2022 Rivian R1T Is the Most Remarkable Pickup We’ve Ever Driven rivian-r1t-r1s-details-12

Rivian R1T R1S Motor Trend Review: The 2022 Rivian R1T Is the Most Remarkable Pickup We’ve Ever Driven Screenshot_20210831-212442

Rivian R1T R1S Motor Trend Review: The 2022 Rivian R1T Is the Most Remarkable Pickup We’ve Ever Driven range-rover-window-switches

Last edited:

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
There are plenty of praise posts here. Nothing wrong with pointing out some issues. Cupholders......Plus, Rivian pays attention to this forum, so some of our complaints may be addressed. RWDmode......Most people have been waiting a very long time for these trucks and most of have not seen one in person, let alone sat in the back of one. Wiper controls, rear seat room, music options, this stuff matters to people. It's awesome to finally see a review, although duck's was more entertaining. I am highly anticipating reviews from this months drives, as many more of our questions will be answered (it's as if Motortrend didn't even consult this forum before their review) and hopefully we will get the pluses and the minuses. With everything that has come out over the past month, Rivian seems ready to make some deliveries, of a very high quality product, that breaks new ground in so many ways. Take my money please, but R1S in Montgomery TX, so I can probably hold on to for a while longer.
True, but these are about to roll out to people this month. There may be some UI changes, but I highly doubt they will add legroom and new physical buttons at this stage. The preorder people who got to go to the factory have been very detailed in their interviews. I trust their take more than some numbers on cabin size. There is only so much space you can have in a midsize pickup. I just think some expectations are a little off

Last edited: