Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
They did mention they're using a camera to look at the driver for the no hands cruise control. However those don't look like cameras to me, I'm betting they're ambient light sensors and the camera(s) for driver attention and possibly security footage will be mounted higher above the windshield.
There is a camera above the rear view mirror. It’s in that angled pod thingy on the headliner.
Sponsored

hkb26

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S5
Clubs

I’m in the same place. I have an R1S reservation to potentially replace my model 3 performance and that pic looks as bad as my Model 3. I’ll have to see it in person.
The pictures I've seen of the R1S look like the back has more leg room than the T. Without the need to accommodate a truck bed, I think they can move the seat back a little further.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
They did mention they're using a camera to look at the driver for the no hands cruise control. However those don't look like cameras to me, I'm betting they're ambient light sensors and the camera(s) for driver attention and possibly security footage will be mounted higher above the windshield.
Yes, the Driver+ camera is up by the mirror. What would be the point of 2 ambient light sensors?
Rivian R1T R1S Motor Trend Review: The 2022 Rivian R1T Is the Most Remarkable Pickup We’ve Ever Driven driver_plus_cam

Rivianmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d, Toyota 4Runner
Can one of the resident experts explain how they can efficiently go 2wd? Would they completely disengage the rear motors? Otherwise your rotating a permanent magnet motor which will be inefficient due to less than 1:1 regen…seems like a great feature for highway, but confused with how it would work

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
On the other Frunk angle u can see the hooks on the right front bumper side
Yeah, looks like 2 are occupied by the cargo net, but taken out that would be 4 “hooks”

Sponsored

hkb26

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S5
Clubs

Yes, the Driver+ camera is up by the mirror. What would be the point of 2 ambient light sensors?
driver_plus_cam.png
The sun streaming in from the passenger or driver side only could make one side of the screen hard to read if it only had a single light sensor on one part and didn't adjust the screen brightness accordingly. I wold think a screen this size needs to have better awareness of the lighting conditions than a normal 6-8" screen in most cars today.

Lucanjo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis G80, Honda Ridgeline, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

The pictures I've seen of the R1S look like the back has more leg room than the T. Without the need to accommodate a truck bed, I think they can move the seat back a little further.
I asked CS about this a few weeks ago and was told the back seats are identical in terms of legroom. If they do in fact slide in the S I can’t see how that could be a true statement.

Last edited:

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Can one of the resident experts explain how they can efficiently go 2wd? Would they completely disengage the rear motors? Otherwise your rotating a permanent magnet motor which will be inefficient due to less than 1:1 regen…seems like a great feature for highway, but confused with how it would work
To add to your point, if they can disengage the back wheels, couldn't they do it for all of them so the truck can be towed behind an RV?

dyb51

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
08 M3 Coupe
2wd mode is front wheel drive? Why on earth would they do that? For a vehicle that is supposed to tow things, this makes no sense whatsoever. And no donuts. SMH
Perhaps a down-the-line OTA update will allow the driver to choose which wheels to engage in 2WD mode...front or rear. Both have pros and cons depending on the task at hand.

I'm with you on engaging rears for donuts...but I think once we experience the tank turn...donuts will be so passe.

Sponsored

EricT

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma 1999
Yeah, although they called it out as a negative, the details really didn't sound bad. Room for four adults, comfortable leg room, not enough lower back support for taller rear passengers. A complete non-issue for me.

Just like their other major negative - the lack of cupholders. I've never used more than one at a time. If my wife uses the other, two seems like enough.

But I know some people regularly travel long distances with huge rear passengers and gallons of fluid.
It's also a truck; Get a helmet with cupholders.

twinprice

First Name
Winston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon XL Denali, Tesla Model Y, and LE RS1 - Hopefully!
Clubs

@DuckTruck, can you comment on the back seats since you have actually experienced the truck?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
To add to your point, if they can disengage the back wheels, couldn't they do it for all of them so the truck can be towed behind an RV?
Does this news suggest that it could be towed with a tow dolly? More hassle than flat towing but not as bad as a full trailer? Dunno, i don't know anything about towing.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
This was the initial plan as I was told be some engineers in NYC. My understanding is that this feature was cut to safe cost and complexity. Perhaps they figured it out, or reduced the capability to two wheels in order to balance the cost with a highly desired feature?
Sponsored