First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Doesn't the S still have the wiper controls on a stalk to the left of the steering column? While I do think the auto sensing feature on my Model3 was worse than most cars I've owned (IIRC Tesla decided to use the cameras to regulate wiping frequency instead of a true sensor), the biggest annoyance was you had to pull up a menu on the screen anytime you wanted to adjust the wiping speed manually. Like others I often used the push button at the end of the turn signal to wipe as needed but that seemed like two steps forward, three steps back.
Yes, it does still have the stalk for the wipers. I also am not a fan of the direction Tesla is going, there are certain functions that should have easy access to. I am not a fan of the Model 3/Y and was disappointed that Tesla appears to be doubling down with that direction on the redesigned Model S/X.

It looks like Rivian has more of this functionality on the stalks, am waiting for access to the owners manual so I can see specifically what functions will be available through those.

Novo-caine

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi SQ5 and allroad

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
Again, not terribly worried about the rear seats. We've seen enough videos, including the most recent videos from Normal with passengers in the back.

We know the R1T isn't an F-150, but we've seen it can fit people in back. The front seats (and hopefully the rear seats too) have adjustments for a reason.

I live 45min from the Normal plant and will take plenty of pictures for everyone to see in September! ?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
I always hear people speak of the "sunroof leak" boogeyman, but I've never experienced it... Despite owning a LOT of vehicles with sunroofs. I don't know anyone IRL who has actually experienced the problem first-hand, either. It's an old wives tale or myth, as far as I'm concerned.

These are HEAVY vehicles. The weight difference between a pane of glass and metal is not going to noticeably affect handling.
Never owned an Audi then I’m assuming. My wife’s Q5 leaked horribly out of no where. Unfortunately it was a very common issue. That was the only vehicle we had any sunroof issues with, but we had a ton of issues with that thing.

Notaevfan

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suburban, Silverado 2500, E39 M5, e34 M5, E36 M3,
Occupation
Home Builder
2wd mode is front wheel drive? Why on earth would they do that? For a vehicle that is supposed to tow things, this makes no sense whatsoever. And no donuts. SMH

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
...and on the edit, suspect some editorial control was relinquished in exchange for first access...
Highly doubt this. I do a lot of embargoed PR and it’s fairly common to include a chance for the manufacturer to review and respond, but not to actually dictate revisions. I know auto journos can be seedy but even still, I’d be shocked and disappointed if there was actual Rivian editorial oversight here.

Far more likely is that MT noticed the disparity between their two articles/videos was causing confusion, and so they tweaked it towards a happy medium. Lest we forget, we were complaining about it in this thread before they changed it.

I’m hoping the rear is not too cramped but I’m not expecting miracles. If it’s on on par with my Y I’ll be happy. At some point physics are physics and I’ll take drunk space, bed length, and gear tunnel over a luxurious rear seat any day of the week. While I’m very tall, I plan to spend my time in the front ?

If you plan to Uber basketball players around, the R1S may be a better choice.

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

Wonder if Rivian told them not to discuss range because they only mention it briefly. Having the vehicle for 4 days I am sure they got a feeling of range or what the computers stated.

Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I watched all the videos with my dogs and they indicated that the back seats look fine to them. I think we're going to keep our deposit in place for now.
hahaha. That's exactly what I was thinking. As my kids are in high school and can drive soon, I was thinking they won't be in the back for much longer but my dogs will be there for years.

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Seems like a bit left out of the review...The review appears to have happened 5 weeks ago, and the trucks were likely some amount older, so software-wise (as they actually mention) things were not complete...to answer my own question in this thread on the omission of Alexa, Rivian sounds like it will have a deep integration, but not at all mentioned in the article or video(s). Major point not to cover...

----
What can Alexa voice commands do in Rivian vehicles?
Alexa is integrated from the ground up in your vehicle so you can control nearly anything managed by the driver display and touchscreen with your voice — even some physical controls. Simply say 'Alexa, set temperature to 72 degrees', 'open the front trunk' or anything else that comes to mind.

Learn more about the connected car experience in the R1T and the R1S .

Wonder if Rivian told them not to discuss range because they only mention it briefly. Having the vehicle for 4 days I am sure they got a feeling of range or what the computers stated.

Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
2wd mode is front wheel drive? Why on earth would they do that? For a vehicle that is supposed to tow things, this makes no sense whatsoever. And no donuts. SMH
Front motors likely use less power. steady state on a freeway or whatever you won’t be able to tell.

hkb26

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S5
Clubs

Are there 2 in-display cameras on the center screen, one at each top corner? If so, what would they be for?

riv_in_screen_cam.png
They did mention they're using a camera to look at the driver for the no hands cruise control. However those don't look like cameras to me, I'm betting they're ambient light sensors and the camera(s) for driver attention and possibly security footage will be mounted higher above the windshield.
Sponsored