John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1965 Suburban, 1968 Chevelle, Cayenne S, R1T
Occupation
Physician
Also a concern.

Once upon a time, Rivian was going to use an electrochromic roof, so that would have provided the best of both scenarios -- light for night use, and dark for day use. Unfortunately, that feature was scrapped (I believe "cost" was the reason given). Since the headliner/roof was never intended to have a shade screen, Rivian had to make a choice. Redesign a bunch of parts, have a normal piece of glass that will basically cook people half the year, or tint the glass so dark that it can handle the sun, but risk making it essentially-opaque at night.

I would have loved to see the electrochromic remain -- even as a paid option. Alternatively, I wish they had put a little more design work to integrate a motorized shade. But actually, I wish they used a more traditional panoramic roof that opens, like almost every other manufacturer.
Living in South Florida I'd prefer a sunroof delete option. I'd actually pay to lose it completely. We almost never open the sunroof shade and it's just another potential spot to leak. Plus that, a lower CofG with no glass up there
Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
From the interior dimensions, it looks like the front/rear seat dimensions are the same between the R1S and R1T. At least the dimensions I was sent from customer service show them to be the same.
I imagine the R1S seats will at least be able to slide and tilt back and forth, which isn't possible on the R1t - so that might mitigate the issue (or in other words, pass the problem on to the third row).

daeHelkcunK

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician
Yah, that legroom is gonna be a problem if it isn't improved before production...

...and on the edit, suspect some editorial control was relinquished in exchange for first access...
....which makes this "review" essentially meaningless. And that really bums me out.

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
s00n = August 31st, 2021

Sponsored

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Lightning Standard
Maybe this is just irking me more than it should but what’s the point of an adventure vehicle for the whole family if that really just means two average adults in the front and children in the back?

I’d have no issue if the Interior story just showed two adults sitting comfortably as driver and rear passenger behind the driver but it doesn’t. At the event there was a general impression the room was fine but was it? I’m on the taller side so I’m probably just a bit salty and I’m not expecting the room of a 1/2 ton but I’ve spent enough time with vehicles where I couldn’t have a passenger behind me. Does no one else hop in the back after they’ve adjusted the driver seat to a preferred position? I know if I can do that it’s considered great room. If I just have a bit of trouble I know it’ll work for most other people but maybe not for others taller than average.
No I totally agree, this is irking me too as I've thought this could be a comfortable family road tripping Truck with a lot of fancy tech. But, then the 36.6" of rear legroom was released and many said that sizing isn't comparable... But, looking at all photographic evidence, the rear legroom is poor for tall people and out of the question as a purchase for me... It's basically as much space as my e-golf.

I wasn't expecting F150 SuperCrew space, which is 43", but I was hoping for something closer to 39" which in my book is just serviceable for a road tripping car.

Based on the overall size of the Truck and the tiny bed, I was fully expecting more cab space. The Ford Maverick has the same sized bed, same legroom but is 17 inches shorter. Size-wise an EV ford Maverick would be a lot better in my mind than the Rivian... An overall Shorter truck would make the poor legroom more aggregable.

Looks like I'll be getting the Pro F150 for $40K as a "beater" Truck for my home projects and hauling stuff and for shorter road trips. And, my CX5 will remain my long road tripper, unless a reasonably priced EV comes along soon for a trade-in (looking at you Ioniq 5).

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
I love the 2 wheel drive option, especially if it saves the battery. We all thought Rivian would have this detailed look for us. Smart of them to ask a 3rd party to do it. Only negative I read was the back seats, but Rivian said they were revising it for the production trucks. Can't wait!!!! It's happening.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I think like everything people have different opinions. I Have a '16 Models S and I've never had an issue with how the wipers work, they seem to be as good as any vehicle I have had with auto wipers. I can't speak of the other Tesla Models I have not been in them in the rain.

Maybe because I live in SoCal and rain is kind of like a perfect game in baseball, we know it is a thing but not something you see all that often, but the few times when I have needed them they have worked fine.

Pathfinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Defender X-Dynamic
While the Motor Trend photos don't appear to show it from a visible angle, previous photos have shown a switch on the front side of the turn signal stalk that is used to control the wipers.

Edit: Added photo from "The Inside Story"

Controls.png
Thanks, hopefully that's still the case. On a positive note there doesn't seem to be any icons for wipers in the images of the screens.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Living in South Florida I'd prefer a sunroof delete option. I'd actually pay to lose it completely. We almost never open the sunroof shade and it's just another potential spot to leak. Plus that, a lower CofG with no glass up there
I always hear people speak of the "sunroof leak" boogeyman, but I've never experienced it... Despite owning a LOT of vehicles with sunroofs. I don't know anyone IRL who has actually experienced the problem first-hand, either. It's an old wives tale or myth, as far as I'm concerned.

These are HEAVY vehicles. The weight difference between a pane of glass and metal is not going to noticeably affect handling.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
So do we think it's safe to assume the press embargo is officially lifted and we'll start getting a plethora of reviews coming in? Or do we reason that MotorTrend got some sort of exclusivity period and we're still a ways off from other reviews?
I think we will see them, there was another online site (sorry can't remember what one off hand) that said they were close to getting an appointment to drive as well.

Pathfinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Defender X-Dynamic
I think like everything people have different opinions. I Have a '16 Models S and I've never had an issue with how the wipers work, they seem to be as good as any vehicle I have had with auto wipers. I can't speak of the other Tesla Models I have not been in them in the rain.

Maybe because I live in SoCal and rain is kind of like a perfect game in baseball, we know it is a thing but not something you see all that often, but the few times when I have needed them they have worked fine.
Doesn't the S still have the wiper controls on a stalk to the left of the steering column? While I do think the auto sensing feature on my Model3 was worse than most cars I've owned (IIRC Tesla decided to use the cameras to regulate wiping frequency instead of a true sensor), the biggest annoyance was you had to pull up a menu on the screen anytime you wanted to adjust the wiping speed manually. Like others I often used the push button at the end of the turn signal to wipe as needed but that seemed like two steps forward, three steps back.

daeHelkcunK

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician
I always hear people speak of the "sunroof leak" boogeyman, but I've never experienced it... Despite owning a LOT of vehicles with sunroofs. I don't know anyone IRL who has actually experienced the problem first-hand, either. It's an old wives tale or myth, as far as I'm concerned.

These are HEAVY vehicles. The weight difference between a pane of glass and metal is not going to noticeably affect handling.
You need to interact with more people.
Sponsored