Sponsored

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Rivian R1T R1S Motor Trend Review: The 2022 Rivian R1T Is the Most Remarkable Pickup We’ve Ever Driven 1630442199055

Did anyone ask if there will be an option for 'kill switch delete'?...

...Seriously with the chilewich and the rear seating changes planned it will be interesting to see how close this interior is to production.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Also a concern.

Once upon a time, Rivian was going to use an electrochromic roof, so that would have provided the best of both scenarios -- light for night use, and dark for day use. Unfortunately, that feature was scrapped (I believe "cost" was the reason given). Since the headliner/roof was never intended to have a shade screen, Rivian had to make a choice. Redesign a bunch of parts, have a normal piece of glass that will basically cook people half the year, or tint the glass so dark that it can handle the sun, but risk making it essentially-opaque at night.

I would have loved to see the electrochromic remain -- even as a paid option. Alternatively, I wish they had put a little more design work to integrate a motorized shade. But actually, I wish they used a more traditional panoramic roof that opens, like almost every other manufacturer.
I rode in a plane plane that had the electrochromic windows the other day and was just thinking man this would have been so cool to have as a sun roof.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I’m in the same place. I have an R1S reservation to potentially replace my model 3 performance and that pic looks as bad as my Model 3. I’ll have to see it in person.
I bet it will be a lot more than my old tacoma had and seeing the videos that we just saw about early test drives they had grown men sitting in the back with large cameras. I doubt it will be a RAM mega cab but that's not what I want.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
They seem to have removed the commentary on the rear seats being "cramped" from the main article.

Hmm...Seems exclusives might also come with some restrictions.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
So do we think it's safe to assume the press embargo is officially lifted and we'll start getting a plethora of reviews coming in? Or do we reason that MotorTrend got some sort of exclusivity period and we're still a ways off from other reviews?
Both I think. Motor Trend got an advance look and no one else probably had access to the vehicle until their review was released. I think other reviewers will start to get their hands on the vehicle soon. On the Insideevs podcast, it sounded like Tom Moloughney might have been it talks with Rivian to get a review vehicle, but he didn't want to talk about it.

Sponsored

electrictaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
So do we think it's safe to assume the press embargo is officially lifted and we'll start getting a plethora of reviews coming in? Or do we reason that MotorTrend got some sort of exclusivity period and we're still a ways off from other reviews?
I'm hoping this is the start of the flood gates opening.

The MT review did say they had a pre-production unit and that the seats were getting tweaked for production... Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that leads me to believe they may have gotten their unit a little while ago (they also mentioned they had it for about a week).

It's possible select journalists have been given access but there is an embargo on releasing their articles/videos. This is common in the tech industry, at least.

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Lightning Standard
They seem to have removed the commentary on the rear seats being "cramped" from the main article.

Hmm...Seems exclusives might also come with some restrictions.
Yup, they totally did:

Old:

Rivian R1T R1S Motor Trend Review: The 2022 Rivian R1T Is the Most Remarkable Pickup We’ve Ever Driven 1630443439101

New:

Rivian R1T R1S Motor Trend Review: The 2022 Rivian R1T Is the Most Remarkable Pickup We’ve Ever Driven 1630443476453

While wearing my tinfoil hat, I swear Rivian is actively trying to suppress how poor their rear legroom is.

Between the two images below, you cannot say rear legroom isn't an issue. Look how F'N close RJ is sitting in that front seat to avoid the back seat not having any room. His knees are literally on the dash, and I've got an 2 inches on RJ.

Rivian R1T R1S Motor Trend Review: The 2022 Rivian R1T Is the Most Remarkable Pickup We’ve Ever Driven 1630443576336

Rivian R1T R1S Motor Trend Review: The 2022 Rivian R1T Is the Most Remarkable Pickup We’ve Ever Driven 1630443595693

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I think you're dead on and that still caught my eye during the video too. I would so happily trade the gear tunnel away for more rear legroom. No way to please everyone.
Maybe this is just irking me more than it should but what’s the point of an adventure vehicle for the whole family if that really just means two average adults in the front and children in the back?

I’d have no issue if the Interior story just showed two adults sitting comfortably as driver and rear passenger behind the driver but it doesn’t. At the event there was a general impression the room was fine but was it? I’m on the taller side so I’m probably just a bit salty and I’m not expecting the room of a 1/2 ton but I’ve spent enough time with vehicles where I couldn’t have a passenger behind me. Does no one else hop in the back after they’ve adjusted the driver seat to a preferred position? I know if I can do that it’s considered great room. If I just have a bit of trouble I know it’ll work for most other people but maybe not for others taller than average.

Sponsored

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Yup, they totally did:

Old:

1630443439101.png

New:

1630443476453.png

While wearing my tinfoil hat, I swear Rivian is actively trying to suppress how poor their rear legroom is.

Between the two images below, you cannot say rear legroom isn't an issue. Look how F'N close RJ is sitting in that front seat to avoid the back seat not having any room. His knees are literally on the dash, and I've got an 2 inches on RJ.

1630443576336.png

1630443595693.png

Yah, that legroom is gonna be a problem if it isn't improved before production...

...and on the edit, suspect some editorial control was relinquished in exchange for first access...

ruawahoo2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Palisade and CX-5
I think you're dead on and that still caught my eye during the video too. I would so happily trade the gear tunnel away for more rear legroom. No way to please everyone.
So I’ve been in the market for a truck for two years now. And the second row has been an important factor for me as I have tall kids who are about to be very tall teenagers. Here is my understanding: the “leg room” metric for cars is almost useless.

That distance is the measurement is approximately from the butt of the passenger to foot/heel/ankle of the passenger. There are also several nuances about it that complicate the measurement, so much so that it is not really practical to compare the measurements as if they are apples-to-apples. Apparently, this is true even between different models from the same manufacturer.

The easiest example that demonstrates this is that if the rear seat sits low and the passenger’s legs are extended underneath the seat in front of the rear passenger, then the “leg room” metric will be long, even though the front seat is actually quite close to the rear seat. But if the rear seat sits higher and the passenger’s knee is close to 90• angle, then the distance between the butt and the knee may be shorter, despite the fact that the front seat may actually be pretty far away from the rear passenger.

This is why it is probably best to listen to the “subjective” assessment of riders and reviewers who say the space is ample in the R1T, like the MT review.

Since the R1T is larger than a mid-size (with a rear seat that is too small for my brood) and smaller than an F-150 (with a rear seat that with me in the back is so spacious that it seems to be a little wasteful), I think that it will be just right for my needs, especially after listening to the interviews over on rivianstories.com from some of “The Chosen 10.” I remember one who is tall said that he had no problem in the back seat.

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
From the interior dimensions, it looks like the front/rear seat dimensions are the same between the R1S and R1T. At least the dimensions I was sent from customer service show them to be the same.

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
I rode in a plane plane that had the electrochromic windows the other day and was just thinking man this would have been so cool to have as a sun roof.
Toyota do it in the new Venza. They have been able to reduce the cost and make it reliable enough. Hopefully Rivian can do it at a later date as well.

Venza

electrictaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I'm hoping this is the start of the flood gates opening.

The MT review did say they had a pre-production unit and that the seats were getting tweaked for production... Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that leads me to believe they may have gotten their unit a little while ago (they also mentioned they had it for about a week).

It's possible select journalists have been given access but there is an embargo on releasing their articles/videos. This is common in the tech industry, at least.
The test drive occurred over a month ago, so there was either an embargo or a planned release date for this material.

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/real-rivian-photos-videos.885/page-140#post-44609
Sponsored