Sponsored

More charging joy (via VW software)- Rivian, please get this right!

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer

This is inexcusable! Why is it so hard for these manufactures to get this right? It's one of the most basic UI experiences that new owner will scream if not done correctly.

I sure hope Rivian gets this right!!
Sponsored

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

This is inexcusable! Why is it so hard for these manufactures to get this right? It's one of the most basic UI experiences that new owner will scream if not done correctly.

Oh my goodness! I couldn't finish the video - it was too painful!

I'm 95% confident that Rivian will get the charging to operate seamlessly and it's route planner will find the fastest charging and speed route available on a trip.

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Daddy Doug DeMuro just did a review of the ID.4; he was unimpressed - said it was designed to be the buyerā€™s first EV, hence no regen mode; etc. He also complained about the laggy main screen and lack of acceleration. He would have lost his Wheaties if heā€™d tried to charge it.

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer
Tesla isnā€™t as great as the video describes. Finding a broken supercharger is common. There is 20-30 seconds of uncertainty when you wonder if the car will charge or not.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Solid overall take on the car, & very objective.

I do hope Rivian is much better with charge & nav, but figured VW would be as well...seems table stakes & surprising that it wasn't addressed before release.

I guess the good news is that OTA updates on most current EVs can address issues without much customer intervention.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition

Did you see the part where he says VW will take SIX MONTHS to fix this? Are you kidding me??

It really is unfortunate to see supposedly future-defining vehicles being released with sub-par experiences. I doubt Rivian will drop the ball like this because they have a much stronger focus on software (like Tesla) vs. legacy automakers. ANd for any issues that do inadvertently crop up with the software I'm betting it'll get fixed in six days instead of six months.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
EA is funded by VW, but it is not part of VW and is a separte company. His claim that VW created the network is simpy BS.
I can see how that would be misleading for folks who don't know the details, but I think his point is still valid. It was a company that was created directly as a result of VW's fine, and that link will never go away when either VW or EA is talked about. VW should have done better to partner with EA and deliver a streamlined charging experience, especially knowing that the competition managed to do so.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
It remains a mystery as to whether Rivian will support Plug and Charge.

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Even if they don't support plug and charge, I would damn well expect that their trip planner won't take me to a 7kW charging station at a City Hall and kill 9 hours during a road trip ...

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Even the GM App on my Bolt allows me to filter on CCS only chargers, as do the third parties like Plugshare. It is also interesting that Audi E-Tron owners also experienced the locking CCS port issues and supposedly fixed it. You would think VW could figure this out since that is part of the same company. The CCS connector is supposed to unlock automatically when power from the charger is off.

OP
OP
RivianXpress

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
And VW says before you can get your first OTA update youā€™ll need to visit the dealership! ?

ā€˜VW follows Tesla into over-the-air software updates, but customers need to go to dealership for 1st oneā€™

https://apple.news/A7jL5TGXaSk2LihaL7csJDw

Last edited:

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
EA is funded by VW, but it is not part of VW and is a separte company. His claim that VW created the network is simpy BS.
In addition, IIRC reading some time ago VW only made the initial funding (whatever the penalty amount was) into EA and that EA would have to stand on it's own legs financially moving forward as an independent company.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE