Montana LLC Registration

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
As an owner of some relatively higher priced vehicles (and an upcoming Rivian R1S and Telsa Model S), and a member of many automotive enthusiast forums, I can understand why people are interested in this. I don't do it myself but I understand why someone would be.

That being said, posting about it on here and asking questions is not a good idea. It just leaves you open for angry comments about paying your dues and documented evidence on how you are trying to skirt the regulations.
Sponsored

GZR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
It’s a loophole , and its a crime . You setting up a llc solely to register a 90k truck for PERSONAL use… let us know the llc name so we can report it :rock: now here’s a better idea, the tax money u r saving from the state goes to schools, fire departments, roads. Wouldn’t it be easier if u just go to ur local schools and ask the under paid teachers to pay ur taxes ?

Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Do people that do this also bring their exotic cars to Jiffy Lube for oil changes?
No they mail them to Montana, to save on sales tax

Montucky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, Sprinter
I live in Montana and last time I purchased a vehicle out of state the person at the DMV was explaining that MT is aware of the LLC tax avoidance play and are taking steps to prevent it. Specifically she was talking about RV's but I would assume that it would also catch other vehicles as well. Tread carefully.

Glstr

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Audi Q7 TDI
I realize this is an old thread, but I just found it and thought I’d give some more food for thought.

First of all, if you want to use a new LLC to purchase a vehicle, good luck getting it financed. Be prepared to pay cash. Second, I’m not entirely sure of this, but it might also impact your ability to get the $7500 tax credit. Since the LLC is the purchaser of the car and the LLC doesn’t pay at least $7500 in federal taxes, it might disqualify you from that benefit.

As an aside, It is not illegal to register your vehicle in an LLC in MT or any other state and drive it in another state. The intent is for any vehicle to be registered in the state in which it will be driven the majority of the time. In AZ, you have the fact that many people come in from out of state to make AZ their home for part of the year. This would make the vehicle less conspicuous in the winter, but much more conspicuous in the summer…as AZ DOT is on the lookout for those that are not registering their cars in AZ when they should be. I think the chances of it actually being a problem for you are slim to none. However, I think that the tax credit thing, if it does DQ you from the $7500, makes this scheme irrelevant…or at least not worth the squeeze.
Sponsored