First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
My take on that is as he was using the map talking about it lagging and I thought it looked fine in the video.
Speaking as a Tesla owner, the lag he's referring too is the time to update when you zoom in/out on that map. Today, the Tesla interface is super smooth and zooming in and out with pinch gestures is amazingly fluid. That was the 'lag' I was seeing.

It's not the 'hit a button and wait for menu' lag but more the responsiveness of the map.

It's been so long since I used an original tesla map, but they grew leaps and bounds with updates over the years with updates. While not ideal, I do expect some future updates will solve some of those. It's an interesting math problem, especially since they're using the unity engine for development, it's a matter of polygon sizes, sub polygons, neat stuff for programmers to solve.
Sponsored

Driveout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
This video seems to be from a non truck guy. That gives us a point of view that most here will not align with as we are the drooling early adopters that after exposure to the design and projected features (even though some were dropped to hit a price point) led us to place a $1,000 deposit on what was a cool idea and some pretty display models. One major focus of the Rivian engineers was/is the adventure capability not well represented in this video with the 6 inch rut and barely nosing up a dirt mound for a photo op. Give me 24 hours... No offence intended to the reviewer it's just not in his normal wheelhouse. Overall a glowing, feature rich, report. Can someone explain how turning radius is related to torque vectoring?

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Can someone explain how turning radius is related to torque vectoring?
Sending more power to the outer wheels during a turn? That’s my (a someone’s) guess.

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
On flat terrain, exactly what is the measured distance for the turning radius?

runwithscissors

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, MDX, R1S
On flat terrain, exactly what is the measured distance for the turning radius?
No idea but it's tight, did my test drive the other day and was impressed with the quick u-turn performed several times. The guide made it sound like the 4 motors contribute to that but I have no idea, I'm an EV newbie.

Sponsored

Cactus

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2014 Tesla Model S, June 2023 R1S
Occupation
Professor
Clubs

No reviewers seem to mention that Rivian’s have knee airbags. That maybe why there’s no room for a glove box?
Lack of a large glove box on passenger side is a head-scratcher for me too. It can't be that expensive and other vehicle manufacturers manage to stuff an airbag into the center of the steering wheel, so space shouldn't be an issue...
Anyone have a guess as to why no decent size glove box?

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Lack of a large glove box on passenger side is a head-scratcher for me too. It can't be that expensive and other vehicle manufacturers manage to stuff an airbag into the center of the steering wheel, so space shouldn't be an issue...
No physical manual anymore, there are cubbies beneath each seat. Probably the combination of those two things (what else would you put in there?). On the other hand, I wonder how much cost they actually save by not having it, or what is gained by not having or lost by having it.

Riventures

First Name
Ft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eTron GT
Occupation
Management Consultant
. Can someone explain how turning radius is related to torque vectoring?
During a tight turn with four independent motors, you can send positive torque to outer wheels and negative torque to inner wheels. During a U-turn, all wheels get positive torque, but outter wheels get multiples of inner wheels, front wheels get higher torque than rears. During a Tank-turn, inner wheels actually get negative torque.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Probably a combination of the relatively small/minimalist dash, no tunnel connecting center console to dash, and the large drunk means they need to put some of the HVAC components somewhere.

Sponsored

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
Probably a combination of the relatively small/minimalist dash, no tunnel connecting center console to dash, and the large drunk means they need to put some of the HVAC components somewhere.
Yeah, I suspect they smooshed HVAC and other bits in there.

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
I was thinking of all the things I have in my current glove box. Turns out not having a glovebox is excusable.

-flashlight: now in the door
-tire pressure gauge: now shown in the UI and/or compressor area
-registration/insurance: now on my phone
-manual: now in the UI
-pen: will move to tiny seat cubby
-sams club card: now on my phone

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
"The most fun I've ever had driving a truck and if you put a gun to my head right now and said Cybertruck or Rivian I would honestly pick the Rivian. It is sick. It is so fun.... I've never gotten more looks and questions about anything I've driven ever.... Jesus Christ this truck is fast. It is wild. It is hilarious that a truck can be that fast and I don't want to describe what I did on the highway in too much detail but it shouldn't be able to do what it does on the highway. It is awesome."
Annoyed that he didn’t know the RAN network is along major highways/routes and is reserved for Rivian vehicles only (initially) and the waypoint network is for National/State Parks/Shopping centers etc and open to everyone. ?‍♂

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
If you look at the skateboard configuration with the parts on there, I could see there not being a ton of room and wanting to maintain leg room for something that they decided doesn't provide much value. I'm guessing it was more of a design decision rather than a cost cutting one.
Sponsored