First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I liked the fact that he evaluated the truck more "on road" than "off road" (and really liked it), as this is how I plan to drive my LE R1S also.

One concern though is the charging speed. Hopefully they'll sort the bugs out before release.
Hard to say what was going on with the charging speed. With my Tesla slow speed has always been the charger and moving to another spot resolves it. Seeing that slowness from one charger is not necessarily a Rivian issue.
Sponsored

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Steroid question; is the portable speaker in all vehicles or LE or adventure trims only?

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Steroid question; is the portable speaker in all vehicles or LE or adventure trims only?
I believe all. It's not listed when you compare trims, so I'd assume it's standard. Neither trims come with steroids though.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I believe all. It's not listed when you compare trims, so I'd assume it's standard. Neither trims come with steroids though.
LE/Adventure only.

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

First time we've heard the lock tweet. Love it.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Hard to say what was going on with the charging speed. With my Tesla slow speed has always been the charger and moving to another spot resolves it. Seeing that slowness from one charger is not necessarily a Rivian issue.
Yeah, that's just the EA charger needing some love. Usually communican issues fro. The vehicle seek to just not work at all. And anecdotally EAs network seeks to suck more on the East Coast.

This is also more important to me (for R1S though). Marques owns Model S Plaid and still impressed with the driving tells me something about enjoying this drive daily as well :)
Based on out of specs (Kyle's) drive of the plaid in the canyons, comparing the plaid is pretty bleh for anything that's not strictly straight. A limits the power with pretty much any turn.

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD, Ford F150 EB 4X4 Platinum 6.5ft bed
One huge disappointment coming out of Rivian is they have decided not to produce the electric drop down tailgate which was one of the main features that sold this truck to me. Being a long time truck owner, one of my biggest gripe was the long reach once the tailgate is lowered. Rivian solved that by designing a tailgate that drops 180 degree and I was sold. GMC, Ram 1500 and Honda Ridgeline has similarly clever work around too. Very upset with Rivian's decision but at the end of the day, it's not yet a deal breaker...But when Ram and GMC's all EV full size truck comes out with their respective "multi mode" tailgates...who knows...

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
This is the first time I have seen the front light on the rivian not showing charging progress. I really thought that was a great idea and wonder why they chose not to utilize this? I understand phones can do everything now and tell you where your charge is but I pictured being at a restaurant or gas station and being able to peer out at my sexy R1S and see where I am at in the charging process.

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
This is the first time I have seen the front light on the rivian not showing charging progress. I really thought that was a great idea and wonder why they chose not to utilize this? I understand phones can do everything now and tell you where your charge is but I pictured being at a restaurant or gas station and being able to peer out at my sexy R1S and see where I am at in the charging process.
My guess based on the reviews is as usual the software is way behind. So features are being push down the road or worse eliminated altogether. As I see the lag in the infotainment I worry that they have unpowered the processing. i hope that is Not the case and it’s just all the logging and debugging that is currently running.

I still like the R1 but the price increases are starting to add up. Before someone says the price has not gone up look at all the features that have been eliminated. This would include the power tailgate, dimming roof, frunk changes including missing hooks, and others.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I honestly can't remember the last time I could see my car from inside a restaurant.

Sponsored

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
1:07 mark -> "...one motor on each 21-inch all terrain wheel..."

I hate myself for instantly knowing that he's off by an inch. It's such a minor miss but clearly I spend too much time obsessing about this vehicle.
Saw that to. 20’’ was on that truck.

runwithscissors

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, MDX, R1S
It must be a personal threshold, then. When I saw Marcus interacting with the map it definitely looked like a LOT of lag, to me.
I did the test drive the other day and it definitely was laggy in the map. Hopefully the hardware is powerful enough and they can refine with Unreal Engine updates etc... Wish it had a 120Hz refresh rate but my guess it's not.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Was a good review, I like how different the focus of all of these reviews are, really gives a broad scope of the trucks features from various perspectives.

[Start Rant ]
Pet peeve for me.... I really don't understand how people can use promise in place of the actual word that should be planned. He uses it for the RAN and many forum users use it for various things that have been on the Rivian web pages and in announcements.

The words promise and plan are not interchangeable, I do not ever recall seeing anything from Rivian that said they promise to do something. They are planning on doing some things and even provide disclaimers that things can change. Just think of it in terms of "I have a 5 year plan", it is certainly something you are striving for and would like to happen but clearly things can change and adjustments can and most likely will happen in that 5 year period.

promise
NOUN
1) a declaration or assurance that one will do a particular thing or that a particular thing will happen.
synonyms: assurance · pledge · vow · guarantee · agreement · commitment · contract · covenant · compact
VERB
1) assure someone that one will definitely do, give, or arrange something; undertake or declare that something will happen.
synonyms: pledge · vow · guarantee · assure

plan [plan]
NOUN
1) a detailed proposal for doing or achieving something.
synonyms: proposal
2) an intention or decision about what one is going to do.
synonyms: intention · aim · idea · intent · goal · target · hope · aspiration

[/ End Rant]

Apologies for those I may have offended, just something I had to get off my chest.
Gets some coffee my friend. It will be ok.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Let’s hope they improve that.
it can be very frustrating wanting to get home from a trip, and having to sit there just waiting for a top off charge.
Sponsored