First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Annoyed that he didn’t know the RAN network is along major highways/routes and is reserved for Rivian vehicles only (initially) and the waypoint network is for National/State Parks/Shopping centers etc and open to everyone. ?‍♂
He a generalist tech reviewer that has a Tesla. I had a few "Marques, that's not right" moments, but I don't really blame him. It would be nice if Rivian could clarify those things for people beforehand. For sample, Sam that reviewed the Yellow R1T in New York seemed to think CCS was a connector that Rivian is developing for themselves. I cringed pretty hard at that.
Sponsored

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
He a generalist tech reviewer that has a Tesla. I had a few "Marques, that's not right" moments, but I don't really blame him. It would be nice if Rivian could clarify those things for people beforehand. For sample, Sam that reviewed the Yellow R1T in New York seemed to think CCS was a connector that Rivian is developing for themselves. I cringed pretty hard at that.
Nah, it's on the podcasters to take a few minutes before they do a show and look this stuff up rather than winging it.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Nah, it's on the podcasters to take a few minutes before they do a show and look this stuff up rather than winging it.
I don't disagree. I'd say it appears MKBHD tried to do that, but it wasn't clear to him with RAN. And given the tone here, I've seen the same type of errors from traditional car journalists with BEVs.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Yeah, I’ve followed Marques for years…which is why if someone says “Hey, we’re letting you test this vehicle for 24 hours” I’d be doing my due diligence so people know I know my stuff and remain a trusted reviewer. But I’m OCD so. ?

bmac

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Navigator, 2014 Audi S4, 2018 GT350 Mustang
If you look at the skateboard configuration with the parts on there, I could see there not being a ton of room and wanting to maintain leg room for something that they decided doesn't provide much value. I'm guessing it was more of a design decision rather than a cost cutting one.
I saw in the owners guide that the vehicle is equipped with knee airbags. My assumption is that Rivian couldn't figure out a way to include this additional airbag and keep the glove box. I think it's a good trade off for additional safety. The only thing I have in the glove box of my current vehicle is the registration and owners manual. With the Rivian, the owner's manual will be digital, so I don't feel like I am giving up any space and the registration will fit easily in the compartment under the seat.

Sponsored

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
I saw in the owners guide that the vehicle is equipped with knee airbags. My assumption is that Rivian couldn't figure out a way to include this additional airbag and keep the glove box. I think it's a good trade off for additional safety. The only thing I have in the glove box of my current vehicle is the registration and owners manual. With the Rivian, the owner's manual will be digital, so I don't feel like I am giving up any space and the registration will fit easily in the compartment under the seat.
It's not likely specifically the knee airbags. Lots of vehicles have those, and probably every single one has a glove box.

I do wish there was a glove box. I like to keep extra napkins in there. And gloves. But I'll get over it.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
It's not likely specifically the knee airbags. Lots of vehicles have those, and probably every single one has a glove box.

I do wish there was a glove box. I like to keep extra napkins in there. And gloves. But I'll get over it.
There are controls in the UI (same page as the vents) for a robotic arm holding a tissue to articulate down from the ceiling to wipe your nose. Below is the schematic for your reference:

Rivian R1T R1S MKBHD Review: The R1T is an Incredibly Fun Full Electric Pickup 1635258376775

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.

Last edited:

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
It must be a personal threshold, then. When I saw Marcus interacting with the map it definitely looked like a LOT of lag, to me.
I noticed a touch of lag when switching from nav to other screens but it seemed fine otherwise. But when you're looking at video of UI on any screen, you're looking at like 24 FPS of something that's maybe like 25 FPS. A lot of frames that make the motion look smoother in RL will be absent from the video.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

MKBHD has an in studio vlog that discusses some of the other details on his videos. Yesterday's video was Rivian heavy.

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.
Sponsored

Last edited: