Sponsored

MIT Leaders for Global Operations announces new industry partnership with Rivian

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

https://mitsloan.mit.edu/press/mit-...ons-announces-new-industry-partnership-rivian

Cambridge, Mass., February 22, 2021—The MIT Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) program announced today that Rivian—an independent, American electric vehicle maker and automotive technology company that develops vehicles, products and services related to sustainable transportation—has become the newest member of its industry partnerships. This addition brings the partner company total to 26—18 of which are in the Fortune 500 or Global Fortune 500.

MIT LGO collaborates with the MIT Sloan School of Management and the MIT School of Engineering to deliver an interdisciplinary Engineering-MBA dual degree program. The two-year curriculum features internships at elite partner companies. MIT LGO students develop leadership skills for the pharmaceutical, manufacturing, geosciences, energy, high-tech, and global supply chain industries, among others.
Sponsored

Last edited:

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I would have loved a program like this. The engineering/business combo is awesome.

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I would have loved a program like this. The engineering/business combo is awesome.

I started off in Highschool with something similar, senior year Land Rover was based out of the Washington DC area. I did a Mechanical Engineering Internship for three months and they hired me after I graduated high school. 3 months in they merged with Aston Martin and Jaguar and moved operations to Mawah, NJ and Irvine. Learned so much and decided to just stick with Computer Science as my major for a more secure career. I loved every minute of the environment.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I started off in Highschool with something similar, senior year Land Rover was based out of the Washington DC area. I did a Mechanical Engineering Internship for three months and they hired me after I graduated high school. 3 months in they merged with Aston Martin and Jaguar and moved operations to Mawah, NJ and Irvine. Learned so much and decided to just stick with Computer Science as my major for a more secure career. I loved every minute of the environment.
I'm an engineer by nature, but technology & business by education & trade. I worked my way through college working full time in tech, but have often looked back wishing I would have studied engineering.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I'm an engineer by nature, but technology & business by education & trade. I worked my way through college working full time in tech, but have often looked back wishing I would have studied engineering.

That is pretty awesome, I decided to do CS to get into computer security and I am glad I did that route as its non stressful at all and job security is always there. I am low key mad at my parents for not doing the typical asian thing and pushing me into the Med field lol.

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

https://www.pantagraph.com/news/loc...cle_4b1fb7da-15b2-5242-bf80-7be3825f2a01.html

Rivian R1T R1S MIT Leaders for Global Operations announces new industry partnership with Rivian _nc_ohc=mkRN_J0M680AX_pMCIy&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1

NORMAL — Gov. J.B. Pritzker on Wednesday announced plans to create a $7.5 million electric vehicle workforce development program at Heartland Community College. The move comes as electric vehicle maker Rivian ramps up production in Normal.
"I'm just thrilled about the opportunity to partner with Heartland," Pritzker said during a press conference.

A dozen students are expected to take part in the first wave in the fall, said Heartland President Keith Cornille. The facility is expected to be fully operational by 2023.
The project will "transform Central Illinois into a hub of innovation," Cornille said, with long-term plans to develop advanced manufacturing training in the future.

State Rep. Dan Brady, R-Bloomington, thanked the state for the investment into "education, into training, into jobs for the future."
Rivian is expected to have 1,800 workers at its Normal plant by June, when production is scheduled to start.

Rivian bought the former Mitsubishi Motors North America plant in Normal four years ago for $16 million and has been ramping up for production to start in June. The company last week finalized the purchase of 380 acres of farmland west of the factory.

Rivian was founded in 2009 by RJ Scaringe, a Massachusetts Institute of Technology graduate. The company also is developing showrooms in Chicago, New York and suburban Los Angeles and is under agreement with Amazon to develop electric delivery vehicles.
Illinois has 27,282 registered electric vehicles, state data shows.
Pritzker on Wednesday also announced a new workforce training program at Southwestern Illinois College in the Metro East.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Same!

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Given the sad nature of Mitsubishi's departure after so much promise and a darn good run in Normal, I have to believe that Rivian is being viewed as a bit of a savior for the city. Now, with the metro area becoming a bit of a hub for the burgeoning EV industry, Bloomington/Normal will likely benefit and thrive even more for decades to come.

I applaud RJ and Rivian for being such great citizens and community partners by embracing and giving back to the communities they live and work in, and with. Watching what they do in Normal and the way they're working with Salida, Rivian is becoming a role-model for corporate/municipal relationships.

I hope other companies are watching and learning from this wonderful evolution.

Sponsored

ajbrutman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, GTI
Clubs

I currently have a mentor that I am working with that is participating in the program. When he told me about It I got a bit jealous.

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs