Sponsored

Blackhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Hood latches like ass. Should be an easy tweek when they come to replace the skid plate.
Sponsored

OP
OP
mini2nut

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I originally dropped off my truck on Friday morning and picked it up on a Wednesday. There were 8 body alignment service tickets that needed to be resolved.

The advisor hands me the FOB on Wednesday afternoon and wishes me a great day. I inspect the workmanship and the drivers door is now worse than when I brought it in.

I hand back the keys and I point out the issue. The advisor agreed that the door is still sloppy and he apologized. The evening shift service tech(s) made it perfect. They had the truck ready for pickup at 8am the following day.

Last edited:

betasigma98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Volvo XC90 Recharge Polestar
Occupation
Hospital
I had mobile service to my house for the driver wind noise and while he was here I pointed out a larger panel gap and he fixed it in my garage

BrayBay

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Edition R1S - Forest Green/Forest Edge
Clubs

Out of curiosity, what did you use to write on the Rivian?

Seems like these are relatively easy fixes for the Service Center to address. Makes me wonder what's happening at Rivian Quality Control. Certainly it should be easier and more efficient to catch these problems ahead of delivery than to fix it afterward at the Service Center.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I feel that the small number of SC's are overwhelmed. My local SC has their technicians working 2 shifts because of the heavy workload.

When picking up my truck from the SC I decided to look over over some of the vehicles that were ready for delivery. I noticed a LOT of glaring panel alignment issues. I feel production is priority #1 at the IL assembly plant.
I agree. They're doing the best they can. Appears a lot of people have the same hood issue. Probably just how they were stamped.

Personally, it was on my list of things to do, but more out of respect for Rivian and their Service Center, I wasn't going to create a service ticket just for body panel issues. They aren't remotely critical. In addition, wasn't worth my own time making a trip to the service center just for body panel gaps.

I figured at some point, there would be a legit reason for it having to go in for service and I would just wait for that time and add the body panel issues to the ticket since it was already going to be there.

Sure enough, the recall came in and I had a sagging suspension issue, so it was time to get it in. They fixed some of the panel gap issues, but not all of them. Again, wasn't critical.

But then the truck bricked and had to go back in immediately. Again added it to a legit reason for service and they fixed it as best as they're going to be able to. I'm sure they'll adjust the robots or stamping tools to avoid these issues on later builds.

You certainly have every right to take it in just for body panel issues. But, I know how busy they are and figured I didn't need to add to it when there are more important issues they have to deal with. And again, wasn't worth wasting a few hours of my time to take it in just for that. And for just that, they'd probably schedule it for months out. Who knows what I'll have going on in two months. Could be a very inconvenient time to get it down there.

Not that they noticed the fact that I didn't pester them over minor issues. But, in my own mind, I know I did the right thing, for both them and myself

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rivianation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Manager
Yes, I am very pleased with the work performed.

Funny, it wasn’t assembled on a Monday or Friday. Door sticker shows it was assembled on a Saturday. No rattles, squeaks or wind noise either.
Just in case you weren't joking, 'Built on a Monday/Friday' doesn't really apply this century since robots don't care what day it is.

There was a time when Tesla was just trying to survive, and they were putting out terrible panel alignment in the majority of the vehicles leaving Fremont. That was a management decision to allow bad panels because much more important things (batteries, propulsion, software, charging network) were vital to its early reputation. They straightened out the panel issue (pun intended) by hiring more QC folks and retooling the factory and robotics.

OP
OP
mini2nut

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I believe all eleven R1T body panels are installed by assembly line workers, not robots;

-(4) doors
-(2) fenders
-(2) Gear Tunnel hatches
-hood
-tailgate
-charging door

Reactions: Guy

Tejkalra

First Name
Tejinder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Nice! My Model Y was a Oct 2020 build (2021MY) and also about as close to perfect build quality as one could ask for.
I have a July 2022 build model y. Worst panel fit. Even service center gave up. They fixed and its the max we can do. It’s within the tolerance was there response. Pathetic.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I have a July 2022 build model y. Worst panel fit. Even service center gave up. They fixed and its the max we can do. It’s within the tolerance was there response. Pathetic.
Unfortunately, that's their go-to answer when they think they've spent enough time on your vehicle 😞

You had the option to decline the purchase before signing for it, or did you point out the issues and they assured you they would "take care of it"... because they have pulled that on on new buyers too.

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

I agree. They're doing the best they can. Appears a lot of people have the same hood issue. Probably just how they were stamped.

Personally, it was on my list of things to do, but more out of respect for Rivian and their Service Center, I wasn't going to create a service ticket just for body panel issues. They aren't remotely critical.

I figured at some point, there would be a legit reason for it having to go in for service and I would just wait for that time and add the body panel issues to the ticket since it was already going to be there.

Not that they noticed the fact that I didn't pester them over minor issues. But, in my own mind, I know I did the right thing.
Counterpoint: I'd recommend creating a ticket for stuff like this so that they can see in their system 1) HOW MANY of their trucks are coming off the line with these problems and 2) that this silly stuff that should be caught at the factory is taking up an inordinate amount of time at the SCs.

Putting the ticket in only snags you a place in line at the SC, well behind any other tickets that include safety issues or other higher priority items.

Information is key and you are part of the info collection system!

Sponsored

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Counterpoint: I'd recommend creating a ticket for stuff like this so that they can see in their system 1) HOW MANY of their trucks are coming off the line with these problems and 2) that this silly stuff that should be caught at the factory is taking up an inordinate amount of time at the SCs.

Putting the ticket in only snags you a place in line at the SC, well behind any other tickets that include safety issues or other higher priority items.

Information is key and you are part of the info collection system!
Don't disagree. Two schools of thought. More so probably for me, wasn't worth the hassle of having to take the truck in just for body panel issues. So saving it to add to a ticket of something more urgent saved me time and hassle of having to make an extra trip. But yes, they need to know about issues to fix them. I remember the early Tesla Model 3's were horrible when they first started production too.

Tejkalra

First Name
Tejinder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Unfortunately, that's their go-to answer when they think they've spent enough time on your vehicle 😞

You had the option to decline the purchase before signing for it, or did you point out the issues and they assured you they would "take care of it"... because they have pulled that on on new buyers too.
I did pointed that issues to them and they made an appointment to get it fixed. I thought they would be able to fix it that’s why I took delivery. But after taking it to service center after them fixing it and making it even worst I was told that that’s the best they can do and its within tolerance.

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

Don't disagree. Two schools of thought. More so probably for me, wasn't worth the hassle of having to take the truck in just for body panel issues. So saving it to add to a ticket of something more urgent saved me time and hassle of having to make an extra trip. But yes, they need to know about issues to fix them. I remember the early Tesla Model 3's were horrible when they first started production too.
I will say I appreciate your communitarian desire to save the SC for those that really need it. We need more people like you!

OP
OP
mini2nut

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I believe all eleven R1T body panels are installed by assembly line workers, not robots;

-(4) doors
-(2) fenders
-(2) Gear Tunnel hatches
-hood
-tailgate
-charging door
It's likely they are installed by line workers using a lift assist hoist like the one in the picture below. I know for a fact that is how it was done at the BMW Mini factory when I toured there. It does require some skill to get things aligned properly in a limited amount of time. It's interesting that all the Rivian production line videos don't show doors being attached, but we know they are attached before painting because the doors are shown being opened by the paint booth robot.

Rivian R1T R1S Misaligned R1T panel alignments resolved by Service Center 1675050517433
Sponsored