Sponsored

Mid-Size or Super Mid Size?

Rockstar2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T pre-order, Ford Expedition, Dodge Hellcat
So the reported dimensions show it to be very slightly larger than a mid size Chevy Colorado but yet there is a photo of Shaq sitting in the truck comfortably! And the bed specs right now are 4.5 feet X 4.5 feet. That's a very small bed, I think even smaller than a Colorado. So based on dimensions would you call this a midsize?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
When I was at the Overland West Expo, the R1T did not look small to me. Possibly because the Tent was up and the cook stove drew my eyes to them. I was focused on workmanship and touching the interior seats, steering wheel, carpet, floorboard, and dashboard. Also checking out the fit and finish of the exterior which looked good.

aern

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suzuki Swift, HZJ 75
Hey there, are there any pictures around where a r1t suts next to some other pickup on the market? Would be great for comparing sizes so I could imagine what it actually looks like? I've already seen the picture with the tacoma, rivian and f150 overlay. Thanks

Sponsored

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Mid-size or large mid-size both work for me. However, I prefer calling them 3/4 size because seeing them up close it’s obvious they are smaller than full-size SUV’s in length and width and that is what I currently drive (Toyota Land Cruiser and previously a Sequoia). Better size for town, highway, and off-road. All performance and adventure.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Has anyone seen an overlay of the R1S against other common SUVs?

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD, Ford F150 EB 4X4 Platinum 6.5ft bed
Dimensionally, R1T is similarly sized as a new Ford Ranger BUT with a much smaller truck bed. In Rivian's defense, R1T has a huge frunk

Happy new year everyone!!

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
I have one that I found quite a while ago, I think back in May but I don't recall where. It's a Model X overlaid on a R1S.
I don't know what the suspension height settings were on these two vehicles, but the shapes of the rooflines clearly indicate a much more inviting cabin for Rivian passengers. Tesla doesn't make a vehicle without severely compromised headroom for rear passengers, creating a very claustrophobic feel even if your head doesn't actually touch the glass or headliner. Of course, Rivian owners will pay a price in range for the blockier aerodynamics -- hence the much larger battery packs. (The long-range Model X gets 328 miles of rated range from its 100 kWh battery pack. Rivian is indicating 310 miles from its 135 kWh pack.)

Sponsored

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
I don't know what the suspension height settings were on these two vehicles, but the shapes of the rooflines clearly indicate a much more inviting cabin for Rivian passengers. Tesla doesn't make a vehicle without severely compromised headroom for rear passengers, creating a very claustrophobic feel even if your head doesn't actually touch the glass or headliner. Of course, Rivian owners will pay a price in range for the blockier aerodynamics -- hence the much larger battery packs. (The long-range Model X gets 328 miles of rated range from its 100 kWh battery pack. Rivian is indicating 310 miles from its 135 kWh pack.)
I have not sat in the back of a Model X. I assume it is better than the S, as the S’s back seat is not built for adults, your knees are well above your hips.. very uncomfortable.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
I have a Model S with the now-discontinued executive rear seats. I'm 5'8", and when I'm in the rear seat my head almost touches the liner and my knees are jacked up under my chin. Very uncomfortable, as you say. I've test driven a Model X twice to see if it would be more commodious for adult rear passengers. It is an improvement over the Model S, but nowhere near where a vehicle of that size and weight should be in terms or rear-passenger accommodation. In the middle-row seats the top of my head was above the roof struts and into the glass-covered recess -- a rather hot area in south Florida sunshine.

Kickaha

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model X
I have a Model X 6 seat model (2016). The rear seats are fine but the 3rd row is for children only. Adults can sit in the 3rd row for short distances only. I pre-ordered an R1T since we have the X paid off and its "enough" of an SUV.

Maybe my wife will fall in love with my R1T and trade the X in on an R1S - not holding my breath tho.
Sponsored