Sponsored

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

I think the difference with the aero inserts is likely attributed to the 5.5% lower average speed instead overall, however you gained 7% efficiency in the high speed section...
Sponsored

caiudalmau

First Name
Carles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S 2023
Put me down as another happy Michelin Defender LTX owner. I took the Pirelli Scorpion All-Terrains off of my 20" wheels a couple of days ago, and instantly prefer the Defenders: smoother, quieter, quicker, better ride, better handling. Though to be fair, none of those a HUGE differences.

But I'm also hoping for (too early to tell) better efficiency, longer life, and lower cost.

I stuck to the OEM size of 275/65/20. I would have liked to size down, as I suspect (not positive) that would be cheaper, lighter, more efficient, and handle better. But the OEM size won't cause objections from tire shops, should cause fewer objections from Rivian, doesn't require reprogramming (or living with speedo/odo differences) and likely has a better ride and less chance of damage from potholes and such. If nothing else, a Defender in the OEM size is going to be better than the OEM Pirellis on the things I care about.

It's true that the Defenders don't look as good, and they certainly don't off-road as well - but I don't drive off-road.

With the new tires:
Defenders 2.jpg
Have you been able to find what the diffence is between the original and the defenders as efficientcy gains?

Redmond Chad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (LG, FE, 20"), Tesla Model X
Clubs

I can't say the difference because I didn't have the original ATs long and didn't run any tests with them.

But in post 105 I gave some efficiency results with the Defenders. 2.12mi/kWh at 75mph - that's a range of about 271 miles? (I did 7% better than that with some aero inserts in the wheels, though that's not the comparison you're asking about.)

On a much-longer run, but with average speeds of only 54mph, I got 2.34mi/kWh which is roughly 300 miles. (And again, 7% better with the aero inserts).

jimmyb2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Express AWD, Lexus RX450h, Rivian R1S
I too am planning on having a set of All Season tires. I just have not been able to decide exactly which tire I want. I intend to have an off-road set (OEM ATs now) and an on-road set.

In the meantime here is some range info on my R1S:

20” Thuren Fabrication semi-gloss blk wheels, +50 offset, 8” width
OEM Pirelli Scorpion AT tires
Tire pressure 51 psi cold
Wheel plus tire wt. 98.2 lbs.

1) Mostly highway trip in Conserve, auto height, soft suspension, high regen, cruise control set to 65 mph, only stayed behind slower traffic if unable to pass.

Rivian R1T R1S Michelin Defender tires installed on 20" wheels 1691944766684

That’s the last 15 min of the trip which was on residential streets at 40 mph or less. I think this had significant impact (improvement) on effresults.

Rivian R1T R1S Michelin Defender tires installed on 20" wheels 1691945032187

This efficiency level surprised me. Expected lower.

2) This trip is basically the reverse direction of the above (except did not include the in town driving) plus some additional miles to get to RAN charger. I wanted to compare different speeds; so I set cruise control at 55 mph. Other settings same as in #1) above.

Rivian R1T R1S Michelin Defender tires installed on 20" wheels 1691945557299

Last 15 min approaching RAN charger. This is on hilly, winding country roads with 50 mph speed limit.

Rivian R1T R1S Michelin Defender tires installed on 20" wheels 1691945725683

Even though I cruised at 55 mph instead of the 65 mph as in #1 this shows higher average speed because no residential streets … nearly all highway.

Both trips were same weather conditions. Drove to other city, and drove back 4 hours later after my meeting.

By basically driving at 55 mph instead of 65 mph efficiency increased by 0.35 miles/kwh. Over an often quoted (accurate???) 125 usable kwh from a fully charged battery I would gain 43.75 miles of range by driving 55 mph vs 65 mph in Conserve mode.

I am very anxious to see how “street” tires will change that, but I’m having a difficult time deciding on which street tire to get.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
LOL 2.79 on AT’s. Beats my 2.1 on AS’s!

Sponsored

Unamasola

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RT1
Clubs

I can't say the difference because I didn't have the original ATs long and didn't run any tests with them.

But in post 105 I gave some efficiency results with the Defenders. 2.12mi/kWh at 75mph - that's a range of about 271 miles? (I did 7% better than that with some aero inserts in the wheels, though that's not the comparison you're asking about.)

On a much-longer run, but with average speeds of only 54mph, I got 2.34mi/kWh which is roughly 300 miles. (And again, 7% better with the aero inserts).
Is the tire pressure for for the Defenders 80psi? If so do they ride harder (harsher)?

Redmond Chad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

The Defenders do have a max PSI of 80, but Rivian recommends 48psi on the 20's, and that's what the tire shop set them at.

The ride is a little softer than on the stock Pirelli A/T. Not a whole lot softer, but enough to notice right away after they switched tires.

Zwain

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Mortgage Broker
Clubs

@jimmyb2

Interesting findings! Be careful with conserve mode burning your front tires though

jimmyb2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Express AWD, Lexus RX450h, Rivian R1S
@jimmyb2

Interesting findings! Be careful with conserve mode burning your front tires though
Thanks. I don’t often use conserve. That was my first significant trip with an EV; so I used conserve just to begin learning about my R1S and it’s capabilities. That trip showed me range anxiety is a non-issue for me.

Have been trying other things learning what the vehicle can do, but still much more to test out. So far I’m finding this to be the best vehicle I have ever owned out of 20+ different vehicles (2 diesels, 10 4WD, 2 pickups, 1 hybrid, rest sedans & vans) over the years.

caiudalmau

First Name
Carles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S 2023

What aero inserts are you talking about? Do you have a link?

Sponsored

Redmond Chad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

What aero inserts are you talking about? Do you have a link?
They are discussed HERE. I have seen good results with them (detailed HERE), but not everyone has.

I don't have stock tires, and I'm in an R1S rather than an R1T...who knows why the results vary so much.

Last edited:

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

caiudalmau

First Name
Carles
Threads
Reaction score