Sponsored

Medical fridge recommendation for front lower console or gear tunnel?

F123456

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I've read several threats about various fridge options, but none of them seen to be very recent. My use case is a bit different to many, and a cooler will not work for my needs; I need to be able to maintain 35-39° for medications.

Does anyone have a recommendation for something that would fit in the gear tunnel and be relatively easily accessible from the back seat, OR something that would sit in front of the camp speaker?

The icego go20 might be one option. I'd likely use a battery like an ecoflow or similar, since it would need the be there all the time.
Sponsored

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
I have the Iceco GO20 and love it. It does fit in the gear tunnel and I've read others can access it from the opening in the rear seat, but I've done that. I like easy access, so I've just put it on the back seat.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I have & like the ICECO Go20. No issues with the fridge so far. However, pairing with an EcoFlow River Mini has been frustrating - the River turns off automatically after not noticing much draw, which often results in cutting off power to the fridge if it isn't sipping much juice (e.g. if it's cold outside). I haven't found a way to configure this.

The ICECo won't fit in front of the speaker, but will fit just fine in the gear tunnel or frunk.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Still happy with my Icego as well. You can use Camp Mode in the Rivian to keep the 12V always on. As far as a battery option I have had good luck with Goal Zero Yeti power stations, currently have the 1500X but I have previously owned the 6000X and a 3000 both would be overkill for a 12V fridge.

OP
OP

F123456

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Thank you both! I’ve ordered the icego 20. It looks like there’s an icego battery pack option that is magnetic and sticks to the side of the fridge. Maybe that makes the most sense for battery backup?

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Thank you both! I’ve ordered the icego 20. It looks like there’s an icego battery pack option that is magnetic and sticks to the side of the fridge. Maybe that makes the most sense for battery backup?
That's cool, hadn't seen that before! Might be a good option to work well with the fridge, though I can't vouch for it. I wouldn't be on the magnets, though - but you can just stick it in the frunk net or similar.

Horseytime

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LA Silver 20" AT- Launch Edition
I have mine hooked up to my portable battery (can't recall brand) and then the 12v in frunk charging the battery. Therefore, when the truck power is off, the battery is powering the icego 20 and once at temp, it can last a long time, so, once I'm driving again, and the 12v is on, the battery is charging back up. It's worked well for me so far, yet, my needs are minimal, and not consistent. Hope that is somehow helpful to you.

OP
OP

F123456

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I have mine hooked up to my portable battery (can't recall brand) and then the 12v in frunk charging the battery. Therefore, when the truck power is off, the battery is powering the icego 20 and once at temp, it can last a long time, so, once I'm driving again, and the 12v is on, the battery is charging back up. It's worked well for me so far, yet, my needs are minimal, and not consistent. Hope that is somehow helpful to you.
Thank you! Yes, very helpful. My first ecoflow river kept turning off, but I may try another. Or the Anker version. Or the icego one :)

OP
OP

F123456

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
That's cool, hadn't seen that before! Might be a good option to work well with the fridge, though I can't vouch for it. I wouldn't be on the magnets, though - but you can just stick it in the frunk net or similar.
I think I'll likely want it in the gear tunnel, based on what I'm hearing about heat dissipation concerns in the frunk -- but thank you!

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I briefly had one of their batteries too, I used it once (in the frunk) and the battery drained quicker than I would have liked so I returned it, you might have better luck in the gear tunnel.

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

The Iceco battery is only 250 Wh. If the fridge stays running continuously it would drain the battery in around 4.5 hours, hypothetically. It did okay for me this summer, but I took the fridge out of the car at night and plugged it into AC in the hotel. That said, I had the fridge plugged into the battery pack with 12V and then the 12V of the car charged the battery while it was running and seemed to work well.

OP
OP

F123456

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
The Iceco battery is only 250 Wh. If the fridge stays running continuously it would drain the battery in around 4.5 hours, hypothetically. It did okay for me this summer, but I took the fridge out of the car at night and plugged it into AC in the hotel. That said, I had the fridge plugged into the battery pack with 12V and then the 12V of the car charged the battery while it was running and seemed to work well.
Thanks -- I'm unlikely to take the fridge out on a regular basis, so maybe I'll find a larger battery, then.
Sponsored