Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Thought I would start for the earnings call today. Any predictions? I'm thinking:

• Rivian announces a big beat on productions numbers as I feel they have been pumping them out which puts them easily on the path to the production target for the year
  • The stock drops 5% because it's the stock market and if you said on an earnings call that you found a gold mine with giant nuggets pouring out of it the investors would say they are the wrong size/shape/weight and don't shimmer as much as other gold mines.
Sponsored

tosehee

First Name
Se Hee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Look at a long term... Short term volatility is really nothing here..

The real question is whether you believe Rivian will succeed in a long run or not, and make an investment decision accordingly.

I feel like the stocks wil go down little further due to market pressure, but I am adding more wheneer those events happen.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
My prediction.. stock will be down at the close going by history.

Good news or bad, doesn't matter which..... Rivian stock always falls after any mention.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Q1 production/delivery numbers have already been announced, so no surprises there.

Things to look out for: Does Rivian signal more cost controls than market anticipates? Will they raise full year guidance? I don't think they'll lower it, since RJ already affirmed it in the latest shareholder letter released last week.

OP
OP
jeeden

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Look at a long term... Short term volatility is really nothing here..

The real question is whether you believe Rivian will succeed in a long run or not, and make an investment decision accordingly.

I feel like the stocks wil go down little further due to market pressure, but I am adding more wheneer those events happen.
I agree. I had funded my IPO stock with a small sale at the peak so I have been gobbling up cheap shares here and there the last year.

I'm very interest on any R2 news they might have, but I think they are going to save that for the fall.

Sponsored

junkanoo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Suburu Outback, R1S
Occupation
Supply Chain Planning
Don't expect anything from an Earning Call.

Analysts throw softball questions so that they stay off the naughty list. Because, if they ask the tough questions, Rivian won't take their questions, nor will GM, Ford etc. And then the Analyst is seeking work because they get replaced by someone that knows better.

No investor should care about R2 plans until Rivian can make a good profit selling higher-margin vehicles. Until that happens, the very idea of R2 is a complete non-starter.

Reactions: Rad

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Thought I would start for the earnings call today. Any predictions? I'm thinking:

• Rivian announces a big beat on productions numbers as I feel they have been pumping them out which puts them easily on the path to the production target for the year
  • The stock drops 5% because it's the stock market and if you said on an earnings call that you found a gold mine with giant nuggets pouring out of it the investors would say they are the wrong size/shape/weight and don't shimmer as much as other gold mines.
They have already announced the Q1 production and delivery numbers already so there is no beat on this. The issue is Capex, EPS and gross margins for backward looking stuff.

For the forward guidance, its the cash burn rate, expected production for the rest of the year and how macroeconomic conditions are impacting the company.

The only way the stock price doesn't drop is if Rivian guide up on production, significant accomplishments on GA factory build, or have non-exclusive Amazon deal negotiated for the EDV or all of the above...

Nacho Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5
Clubs

Rivian is traded at just its asset value (cash + factories). Upbeat on increased production will make investors excited this quarter. Too early to focus on profit at this time. Once Rivian can clear all pre-orders by this fall, their balance sheet will look better by Q4 2023. They should not scare future customers by providing excellent customer service. They should also focus on improving initial quality before delivery if possible.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Rivian is traded at just its asset value (cash + factories). Upbeat on increased production will make investors excited this quarter. Too early to focus on profit at this time. Once Rivian can clear all pre-orders by this fall, their balance sheet will look better by Q4 2023. They should not scare future customers by providing excellent customer service. They should also focus on improving initial quality before delivery if possible.
They will clear R1T pre-orders this year but the R1S pre order holders stretch well into 2024.

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
I would like to hear some better guidance on max pack, dual motor configs, and the Enduro program as a whole. These are the "short term" factors that are going to help sustain and/or propel Rivian in the near-term (through this year at least).

Is everything on still on track? Ramp going well? etc.

Sponsored

Sharpobjects4321

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot
Occupation
Attorney
9,395 produced Q1 of 2023
7,946 delivered in Q1 of 2023

around 700 million in revenue- the only "surprises" would be better than expected revenue because more post 3/1 vehicles, and/or they have cut cost and/or they revised the 50,000 yearly production number up or down. if the revenue hits and cost stays the same as predicted by wallstreet without any new information the stock will go lower. who knows we might get EDV news on the contract with Amazon that might be helpful, with new partnerships but I doubt it.

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
No investor should care about R2 plans until Rivian can make a good profit selling higher-margin vehicles. Until that happens, the very idea of R2 is a complete non-starter.
But wasn't the model 3 one of the reasons Tesla became profitable? Not saying analysts would care but seems like there is some precedent for the volume model to be considered a factor.

junkanoo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Supply Chain Planning
First ... welcome to the forum Nacho!

"Too early to focus on profit at this time" ?? That's why Rivian is trading at what it's trading ... nothing else matters (or you get assigned book value, if that). There are too many others in the space for any grace period, in my view. Unfortunately, that ship sailed. With inflation, I'm not remotely sure that Rivian will make a profit on new orders. If so, where does that leave them?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
But wasn't the model 3 one of the reasons Tesla became profitable? Not saying analysts would care but seems like there is some precedent for the volume model to be considered a factor.
Yes, and they did not have a profitable year until 3 years after the Model 3 was released. Model 3 launched in 2017, first full year Tesla had a profit was 2020.

Most of the earlier quarters with a profit were based on selling emission credits to other manufacturers.

junkanoo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Supply Chain Planning
That reminds me of the old joke about the Smorgasbord Restaurant that loses money on every customer but makes it up in volume.

I'm just not sure how the cost of key components is going to go anywhere but up, putting Rivian in a tough spot when customers are going to be concerned about Rivan surviving.
Sponsored

Reactions: Rad