Sponsored

Max vs. Large battery Physical Location?

OrthoBlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, X5 PHEV
Do we know where the extra battery cells are physically located in the Max pack (180 kWh version)? If so, does this location provide additional storage, or some other utility option(s), on the Large pack (135 kWh version) by the virtue of it being free of batteries?

I figure the extra 40+ kWh in battery cells should take up a reasonable amount of space...
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
The R1T “skateboard” is longer than the R1S. That’s where the extra modules go. No impact on storage.

here’s a picture of the R1T, presumably the “large” pack. The empty space is taken up by the additional battery modules With the max pack.
Rivian R1T R1S Max vs. Large battery Physical Location? 1630939903611

here’s the R1s with the same pack:
Rivian R1T R1S Max vs. Large battery Physical Location? 1630940003902

Last edited:
OP
OP
OrthoBlock

OrthoBlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, X5 PHEV
The R1T “skateboard” is longer than the R1S. That’s where the extra modules go. No impact on storage.
Sorry for not being more clear. I was referring to the R1T in both cases. i.e., R1T with Large vs. R1T with Max pack. Where do the extra cells go in the truck (e.g., under back seat, underneath the truck somewhere, etc...)

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

Do we know where the extra battery cells are physically located in the Max pack (180 kWh version)? If so, does this location provide additional storage, or some other utility option(s), on the Large pack (135 kWh version) by the virtue of it being free of batteries?

I figure the extra 40+ kWh in battery cells should take up a reasonable amount of space...
I've got one of each (R1T with a 135 and a 180 pack) on order and the difference in reported "Storage" space is one cubic foot.

I don't know where they plan on putting the addition cells.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sorry for not being more clear. I was referring to the R1T in both cases. i.e., R1T with Large vs. R1T with Max pack. Where do the extra cells go in the truck (e.g., under back seat, underneath the truck somewhere, etc...)
I edited my post with a picture to show where the extra battery modules go.

Sponsored

OP
OP
OrthoBlock

OrthoBlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, X5 PHEV
I edited my post with a picture to show where the extra battery modules go.
Thanks. That's a great picture. Very helpful.

I've got one of each (R1T with a 135 and a 180 pack) on order and the difference in reported "Storage" space is one cubic foot.
Curious about the 1 extra cubic foot of quoted space... wonder if real or a "typo".

...at least not "easily"/out-of-the-box. If the space for the batteries is in fact a an open space without any other utility cables, bracing, etc., running through it. It might make for some interesting after market options fabrication (e.g., extra water carrying capacity, place to smuggle bubble gum, etc...)

But yes, in practice, I was hoping that it would be readily available for practical use :)

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
here’s the R1s with the same pack:
1630940003902.jpeg
So, where do the extra battery cells go on the Maxpack R1S? Or has that not yet been shared?

Hilbe

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MS P100D, Tesla MX 90D Unicorn, Rivian R1S
Didn’t they extend the R1S recently? I had assumed that was you accommodate the max pack.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
So, where do the extra battery cells go on the Maxpack R1S? Or has that not yet been shared?
There is no "Max Pack" R1S.

They are working on a "longer range" version of the R1S, but it is very unlikely to be 400+

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

nukem384

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3/Rivian R1S
From what I've read, not sure if this is final though as it was with pre production models, was that you lose the 7 seater configuration if you want a max pack R1S. And I believe just like Tesla's, in the trunk, there's a big space in the flooring to put things. I believe this space is lost on the max pack to compensate for the extra batteries.

I have also read that they were working on a configuration that would keep the 7 seats and have close to 400 miles? I don't think anyone knows for sure sure. We'll have to see once the actual variant comes out on the configurator what the final results are.

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Has anyone gotten an indication that the max pack is a different voltage? Or maybe does their patented 450V/900V parallel/series trick when charging?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Has anyone gotten an indication that the max pack is a different voltage? Or maybe does their patented 450V/900V parallel/series trick when charging?
Why would they make it a different voltage?that would mean changing much of the electrical system. It’s just bigger.

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Why would they make it a different voltage?that would mean changing much of the electrical system. It’s just bigger.
There was some chatter and a patent where two batteries operated at 450V in parallel when driving and then in series at 900V to charge. I'm hoping that's a difference between large and max packs. I would love to get near that 350kW charge rates that Porsche has.
Sponsored