First Name
HANS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Volvo XC90 T6, Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Retired CEO
I am a former aviator who has pretty much quit flying. I recently made a coast to coast trip to see my family in NC. (I live on the coast in WA.) I was able to make that trip in 3 days with 85 mph speeds in 3 states on cruise control. I want to be able to make these trips with my max pack R1T. I realize I will have to stop a little longer than the previous gas stops.
Wait, you have a RT1 with Max pack? I thought these are not yet available? Congrats
Sponsored

Feetdry

First Name
terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ridgeline, Hydro 84
Occupation
medical sales
Ha, that was over 2 years ago when my original order showed a max pack. Alas, not to be, my compass yellow R1T should arrive in about a week with the "standard large pack".

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
you're so right - its' infuriating that Rivian does not publish weight details of RT1 with Large vs Max pack. How simple would that be. Typical arrogance / ignorance of startups...
Each 15kw module is approx. 200lbs, it is doubtful that the max will be 180kw due to lack of space (particularly on the R1S), cost, additional weight & loss of payload especially when towing with the added hitch weight.
On the current R1T with a payload of 1760lbs adding 3 modules would reduce that to 1160lbs & with a hypothetical hitch weight of 560lbs you would have a measly 600lbs remaining for passengers & gear which would be pretty counterintuitive, even more so with the R1S.
They will easily exceed the 400mile range with a 165kw pack with the dual motor & 21" wheels. The dual motor large pack with 21" wheels currently has a range of 349 miles so an additional 22% gets it close to 425 miles
They need to reduce costs so it does not make sense to add the the third module.
Even adding equivalent of only 1 module will get them very close to the promised 390 miles on the R1S.

hansgieskes

First Name
HANS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Volvo XC90 T6, Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Retired CEO
Each 15kw module is approx. 200lbs, it is doubtful that the max will be 180kw due to lack of space (particularly on the R1S), cost, additional weight & loss of payload especially when towing with the added hitch weight.
On the current R1T with a payload of 1760lbs adding 3 modules would reduce that to 1160lbs & with a hypothetical hitch weight of 560lbs you would have a measly 600lbs remaining for passengers & gear which would be pretty counterintuitive, even more so with the R1S.
They will easily exceed the 400mile range with a 165kw pack with the dual motor & 21" wheels. The dual motor large pack with 21" wheels currently has a range of 349 miles so an additional 22% gets it close to 425 miles
They need to reduce costs so it does not make sense to add the the third module.
Even adding equivalent of only 1 module will get them very close to the promised 390 miles on the R1S.
Wow. Thank you for your useful insights. Really, Rivian should have provided such in-depth information directly or via their empty website. Compared to regular car manufacturers they have virtually no real spec data on their website. What's up with that.

This makes me consider downgrading to large pack.

Thanks again

Feetdry

First Name
terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ridgeline, Hydro 84
Occupation
medical sales
3 years ago, I planned to charge my R1T at home about 95 percent of the time. I don't live off grid but my home is serviced by a solar array that provides about 95 per cent of all our electricity.

Because this R1T doesn't have the "long legs" of the max pack that I ordered, I may have to succumb to charging away from my home occasionally. (I will probably be driving it in conserve mode to get me a little farther).

cowsr4eating

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1992 Chevy C1500
I pulled the trigger today and changed from a dual/max to a quad/large config. The factors that made me change were the minimal mileage increase with AT tires vs. cost increase, gimmicky pricing for the dual motor performance mode, reduced warranty over quad, I'm tired of waiting (almost 3 years) and reduced charger anxiety with the announced support of the NACS/Tesla chargers. From the time I changed the config to the time I received an email with a VIN was less than 3 hours. I was assigned a guide shortly after. I'm a little concerned I'm getting someone else's reject with a Mar/Apr VIN, but I'm asking my guide to confirm. I wish all Max packers the best of luck, but I've tapped out.
Sponsored