First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Skyline R32 GTR, Subaru Forester Turbo SH9
Occupation
IT Professional
Actually, we do know, now, since the Owners Manual is posted on Rivian.com. They 120V outlets are limited to 1500W.

The manual also states that there are two 12V batteries between the frunk and cab. I don’t recall it specifying the chemistry type. I would assume they are at least AGM, but they could be lithium.
1500w is good. But not really great. Every wall plug we have here in Oz is 240v/10amp for a total of 2400w, or 240v/15amp for 3600w. Tradies with powertools might want the 15 amp connector for welders or some other high current application. 10 amp would be a safe figure to aim for so the car can boil an electric kettle. (Apparently in USA nobody uses electric kettles to boil water due to 110v?)

If the car ends up coming to oz, it wouldn't surprise me if the inverter is replaced with a 2400w 240v model that supplies 10 amps but of course, thats dependant on the connection to the battery pack. Trying to put 2400w thru 12v = 200 amps, which requires a few extra design considerations....
Sponsored

Last edited:

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
(Apparently in USA nobody uses electric kettles to boil water due to 110v?)
We do, but they tend to be only 1200-1500W so they take a bit longer than models in countries with 240V kettles.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I know you're being tongue-in-cheek. But I have an unhealthy curiosity to see if it would even try charging from itself.
The Surface 3 had a USB port and charged over Micro-USB. If you plugged into itself, Windows would happily report "Charging" right until it ran out of power ?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Owners manual says it's all one circuit. Only one high powered device at a time.
Which also means if you’ve got the camp kitchen you can only run the stove on full power and nothing else.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Which also means if you’ve got the camp kitchen you can only run the stove on full power and nothing else.
That's a good point. The kitchen has two burners doesn't it? I don't understand how you can run two burners at the same time at 1500 watts.

Sponsored

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
That's a good point. The kitchen has two burners doesn't it? I don't understand how you can run two burners at the same time at 1500 watts.
I saw a photo today (which for the life of me I can't find again! :swear:) which showed the inside of the gear tunnel with the camp kitchen fully extended. This showed the power cables were coming from in the middle of the floor of the gear tunnel instead of the 12V/120V plugs. I wonder if this is a separate circuit with a different limit?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I saw a photo today (which for the life of me I can't find again! :swear:) which showed the inside of the gear tunnel with the camp kitchen fully extended. This showed the power cables were coming from in the middle of the floor of the gear tunnel instead of the 12V/120V plugs. I wonder if this is a separate circuit with a different limit?
I saw that too, in the first Mile thread I think?

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Specifically it looks like the Gear Shuttle plugs into both the 12V DC plug and 120V outlet in the Gear Tunnel. Presumably the induction stove is 12V and the Gear Shuttle outlets share the 120V circuit?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Specifically it looks like the Gear Shuttle plugs into two 12V DC plugs and that's what powers the AC on the shuttle (and presumably what powers the inductive burners as well). I'd guess that's a different circuit than the AC outlets?
The cable going "into the floor" is actually just into the bottom of the gear shuttle. The cable must be protected and captive so it can safely slide in/out with the kitchen and not abrade on anything. You see similar systems in industrial applications and CNC or 3D printers.

If you look closely at the side you'll see the gear shuttle plugs into both the 12V and 120V outlets (one near each gear tunnel door). I would assume the 120V is used by the stove, and then perhaps the LED lighting is run off the 12V.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

We know it has NEMA 5-15R receptacles. We don't know there are 15A behind them. I have a Lexus with a couple of 5-15's in it limited to 300W.

It supplies enough to maintain a 12V lead acid (I'm guessing) battery which is pretty small. Probably about 30 Ah. What I'm getting at is that I would think of any external 12V inverter in terms of what I would connect to a 30 Ah battery. Not a very big one for sure.

Of course I know nothing about the actual Rivian architecture. The 12 V battery may not be lead acid and it may be bigger or smaller than 30 Ah.

Hmm. Wonder if the 110V outlets are powered by an inverter on the 12V bus. That would explain the low power capacity.
The 12V DC-DC in the Bolt can output 125A @ 14.4V. In theory you could hang a 15A 120V inverter off the 12V battery and max it out for quite a while before the APU can't keep up.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
The cooktop will manage how much power it's asking for to stay within the plug-and-cord power limit.

We have a 2-burner induction cooktop in our Sprinter build. Our model won't let you run both burners on high (10/10) at the same time. IIRC, when one burner is set above 4/10, the second maxes out at 9/10. I'm also pretty sure we can't run both at 9/9 simultaneously.

Even my home's induction cooktop is split into two sets of 2 burners, and within each set I can only have one burner at max power at a time.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

This is under the kitchen gear shuttle FYI
Rivian R1T R1S Max output from the 110v plugs in the bed 7EDF627D-9D33-4F3C-B90D-E8DBA88168CC

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Actually, we do know, now, since the Owners Manual is posted on Rivian.com. They 120V outlets are limited to 1500W.

The manual also states that there are two 12V batteries between the frunk and cab. I don’t recall it specifying the chemistry type. I would assume they are at least AGM, but they could be lithium.
Rivian R1T R1S Max output from the 110v plugs in the bed 1632774899439

Rivian R1T R1S Max output from the 110v plugs in the bed 1632775047905

The "y-cable" and "primary battery" to me says that one is a starting battery and the other is an entirely separated secondary system, and that one is what powers all of the onboard accessories. But if they aren't at the same voltage it's not a great idea to use a y-cable on them.

If I actually get invited to one of the events I'm planning on pulling up as many panels as I can to see what's under them. I'm especially interested about how all the power-flow in the vehicle is.
Sponsored