First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
I guess I should ask customer service, but thought somebody might know.
Sponsored

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150
Occupation
IT Software Director
From what we know it's a 15A outlet, so 1.8 kW
Dang this is one area Ford has Rivian beat with the Onboard Power Pro setup - between 2kW, and 7.2kW (with the 240v in use) as options. You get four NEMA 5-15R outlets and 1 L14-30 outlet.

Driveout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
OOh, 15 Amperes, How long do you suppose it would take to self charge? :muscle:

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Yeah, it's a miss. Should have been 120v/20 amp. People abuse 120v plugs powering RVs all the time, most generators are 2,000-2,400 watt.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
OOh, 15 Amperes, How long do you suppose it would take to self charge? :muscle:
I know you're being tongue-in-cheek. But I have an unhealthy curiosity to see if it would even try charging from itself.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I am also curious whether they are separate 15A inverters between the bed and the gear tunnel or all tied to the same 15A inverter. If they are separate then at least you can still run two 1500W loads at the same time.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I am also curious whether they are separate 15A inverters between the bed and the gear tunnel or all tied to the same 15A inverter. If they are separate then at least you can still run two 1500W loads at the same time.
Owners manual says it's all one circuit. Only one high powered device at a time.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Owners manual says it's all one circuit. Only one high powered device at a time.
Thanks. Just saw that. Pretty sad that the GZ Yeti I have in my van has a better inverter than the Rivian.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I
Thanks. Just saw that. Pretty sad that the GZ Yeti I have in my van has a better inverter than the Rivian.
I'm interested to know how much power the 12V converter can supply. It might be strong enough to hang another inverter off for doing emergency backup power. Hopefully the inverter that's in the truck works off HV instead of having to down convert first.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I
I'm interested to know how much power the 12V converter can supply. It might be strong enough to hang another inverter off for doing emergency backup power. Hopefully the inverter that's in the truck works off HV instead of having to down convert first.
Running that off 12 volts sucks. I have a big inverter in my truck, a 2,500 watt one. I lifted the back seat to put it in. I high-idle the truck with a upgraded alternator and it produces the goods.

Running it off the HV is difficult and warranty-voiding. I'm sure they run it off the HV.

It's sad, I don't want a F150, but it gets that job done.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
We know it has NEMA 5-15R receptacles. We don't know there are 15A behind them. I have a Lexus with a couple of 5-15's in it limited to 300W.

I
It supplies enough to maintain a 12V lead acid (I'm guessing) battery which is pretty small. Probably about 30 Ah. What I'm getting at is that I would think of any external 12V inverter in terms of what I would connect to a 30 Ah battery. Not a very big one for sure.

Of course I know nothing about the actual Rivian architecture. The 12 V battery may not be lead acid and it may be bigger or smaller than 30 Ah.

Hmm. Wonder if the 110V outlets are powered by an inverter on the 12V bus. That would explain the low power capacity.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
We know it has NEMA 5-15R receptacles. We don't know there are 15A behind them. I have a Lexus with a couple of 5-15's in it limited to 300W.

It supplies enough to maintain a 12V lead acid (I'm guessing) battery which is pretty small. Probably about 30 Ah. What I'm getting at is that I would think of any external 12V inverter in terms of what I would connect to a 30 Ah battery. Not a very big one for sure.
Actually, we do know, now, since the Owners Manual is posted on Rivian.com. They 120V outlets are limited to 1500W.

The manual also states that there are two 12V batteries between the frunk and cab. I don’t recall it specifying the chemistry type. I would assume they are at least AGM, but they could be lithium.