Max charging speed

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Porsche Taycan CT4s, '23 Rivian R1T
Mine does, and with a 30% smaller battery (eTron) and it's 2-3 years old. Not every time (charger issues), but it's certainly capable of it when the charger is up to it.
I used to own a '19 e-Tron and put 10,000 miles on it in 6 moths. I even drove across Utah multiple times in it before the Green River EA charger was installed - meant having to detour up to Spanish Fork or stopping in Moab depending on which direction you are going. I know the car well - it drives as comfortablely as a car can drive.

From my experience with the e-Tron I rarely saw speeds above 125kW over 65% or 70% battery level. And, I bet many e-Tron drivers see the same since Electrify America chargers are not always pushing reliable, consistent speeds.

Can the car do it? Sure. Will it? Totally different story since it is dependent on the charger.

Until we have definitive proof on the Rivian's charging curve, people should not be disappointed if it does not hold charging speeds of 150kW until 80% charge. I certainly hope it does, but there is a wide gulf between design and real world.

Cheers
Sponsored

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
I used to own a '19 e-Tron and put 10,000 miles on it in 6 moths. I even drove across Utah multiple times in it before the Green River EA charger was installed - meant having to detour up to Spanish Fork or stopping in Moab depending on which direction you are going. I know the car well - it drives as comfortablely as a car can drive.

From my experience with the e-Tron I rarely saw speeds above 125kW over 65% or 70% battery level. And, I bet many e-Tron drivers see the same since Electrify America chargers are not always pushing reliable, consistent speeds.

Can the car do it? Sure. Will it? Totally different story since it is dependent on the charger.

Until we have definitive proof on the Rivian's charging curve, people should not be disappointed if it does not hold charging speeds of 150kW until 80% charge. I certainly hope it does, but there is a wide gulf between design and real world.

Cheers
Agreed, that's why random reports of charging sessions are noteworthy to file away, but rarely the whole story. I've experienced 150kw up to 80% and I've seen less than 100kw for the entire charge.

Charging is similar to people, every day is a different mood and you should never extrapolate a single encounter....

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Porsche Taycan CT4s, '23 Rivian R1T
Charging is similar to people, every day is a different mood and you should never extrapolate a single encounter....
[/QUOTE]

Amen. Most rational comment on the board today.

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Can anyone glean anything useful from this screen grab I pulled off TikTok?

Rivian R1T R1S Max charging speed IMG_4470

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Can anyone glean anything useful from this screen grab I pulled off TikTok?

IMG_4470.jpeg
Not enough pixels.

Gideon the rivian pulled 187 kW yesterday btw.
Sponsored