First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
funny...my wife is getting her Mini SE in two weeks (changing over from Countryman PHEV) and I'm waiting for my R1S LE...Go all EV households!!!
That’s awesome!

When did you order the Mini?

I am hoping the dealers we talked to aren’t yanking our chain by saying that our October build will get to me by the end of the year. I need the tax rebate.

I will get the best of both worlds. I get the Mini until my R1T comes in, then my wife will sell her Subaru and take the Mini.

In some ways, I am not in as much of a hurry for the Rivian. I can sit back a little and see how deliveries go and if any problems show up.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Sully151

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
Thanks everyone!

My wife and I drive about 35,000 miles a year between the two of us, so it looks like we will still have an electric bill even after we add solar, but it will still be cheaper than gas.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
Thanks everyone!

My wife and I drive about 35,000 miles a year between the two of us, so it looks like we will still have an electric bill even after we add solar, but it will still be cheaper than gas.
"Pay for solar to completely eliminate all electric and car propulsion costs" is one way of looking at it.

Another way of looking at it is "EVs are cheaper to power than ICE cars, even if you don't have solar on your roof."

Solar is just gravy.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
"Pay for solar to completely eliminate all electric and car propulsion costs" is one way of looking at it.

Another way of looking at it is "EVs are cheaper to power than ICE cars, even if you don't have solar on your roof."

Solar is just gravy.
I think the advantage of purchasing solar is after the savings pays for the solar it is free money. With tax breaks and current electrical prices I get payback in 5.5 years. If rates go up it accelerates my ROI.

I have a 25 year warrenty and panels guaranteed to still produce 92% of rating at 25 years. With all of that should be able to reap the benefits for at least 20 years after payback and probably many years past that.

I would recommend getting solar if anyone would ask my opinion.

Grabs10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo T8 and f350
Hi!

I suck at math and most things associated with math. That's why I perform and teach Improvisational Theater, Sketch Comedy, and puppetry for a living. This is also great because I don't have to add a lot of large numbers from paychecks.

My wife and I are going to make a major change and go all EV and add solar to our house. R1T for me and the MINI Cooper SE for her ( I get to play with the MINI too).

We have been shopping Solar with the hopes of charging our cars and running our house.
So many questions…

Assuming grid tied system what is your utility use for customer generation??? Net metering or Net Billing?

net metering is a 1 for 1 exchange with utility on excess generation during the day.

If net billing what is the rate of exchange on excess electricity produced with the utility?

do you have time of use rates/demand rates?

what time of day will you be charging you vehicles?

how much electricity in kwh annually do you use?

Last edited:

Sponsored

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

As a happy solar customer I say, if you can do it do it now. The savings associated is fantastic regardless of EV. Add in the EV and you are saving more because of not needing gas and maintenance reductions.

You can never expect to have zero electric bills. Some months I have negative, some a few dollars and in the heat of the summer a few hundred. But I am still saving year over year.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I think the advantage of purchasing solar is after the savings pays for the solar it is free money. With tax breaks and current electrical prices I get payback in 5.5 years. If rates go up it accelerates my ROI.

I have a 25 year warrenty and panels guaranteed to still produce 92% of rating at 25 years. With all of that should be able to reap the benefits for at least 20 years after payback and probably many years past that.

Last I looked I’d get payback at around year 17 in Seattle. Jealous of that SoCal sun.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Last I looked I’d get payback at around year 17 in Seattle. Jealous of that SoCal sun.
May have just as much to do with high electric rates…;)

Clouds do make a difference, was cloudy today and only generated 12 kw instead of 33kw that I did most days last week

I calculated my payback after reducing the 26% tax credit as well.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large

If anything in my comment was taken to suggest I *don't* think people should get solar, I'm not sure what.

I'm all-in on solar for absolutely anybody who can get it.

Modern panels will all pay for themselves over their lifetime, whether you get just a few or enough to entirely offset your usage.

Hence, back to OPs situation: Your EV is cheaper to keep powered over ICE no matter what, and any amount of panels to offset your home usage *and* charging is worth it, no matter what. ?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
If anything in my comment was taken to suggest I *don't* think people should get solar, I'm not sure what.

I'm all-in on solar for absolutely anybody who can get it.

Modern panels will all pay for themselves over their lifetime, whether you get just a few or enough to entirely offset your usage.

Hence, back to OPs situation: Your EV is cheaper to keep powered over ICE no matter what, and any amount of panels to offset your home usage *and* charging is worth it, no matter what. ?
I did not take your comment negatively, just thought I would share some real numbers Based on my experience.
Sponsored