Sponsored

Master Thread: Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV)

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Anyone try this or other sealing mods yet? I’m sure installs have been happening! 🧐
Sponsored

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Aside from the sealing approaches discussed in this thread, are they any new ideas out there? How about new installation reports?

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
Finished the install today. Nothing difficult about it. Here's my install timeline:
  • Friday - marked holes - 25 minutes.
    • Cross checked hole position against step bracket position - 20 minutes, tweaked a couple locations
  • Friday evening - unboxed everything, broke down packaging, rewashed the mount areas, swept floor of install area - 30 minutes
  • Saturday morning - Full install - cut holes, mounted plates to steps, mounted brackets, mounted steps, torqued everything - 2-1/2 hours
  • Extra credit - cut and installed Gorilla Waterproof Patch & Seal Tape (3 semi-circles per hole) - 1-1/2 hours
  • Cleanup, put away tools, took some pictures - 30 minutes
  • Lunch, mini-DQ Blizzards, scenic drive - 3 hours

Install tips

Use a high quality hole saw. Make sure the pilot is drilled out well first, keep the speed low-medium before moving in for the hole cut. The Starrett 4" I used was purchased specifically for this project. I left my ACE hardware special in the tool box. The cuts were very clean without any cleanup other than running a finger along the edge to get the shavings to come loose.

I used a compass cutter to cut the tape semi-circles. I used a modified @jebinc method. I tried to keep tape off the mounting hardware and I added a 3rd semi-circle perpendicular to the first two.

Pics below.

Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) rmaxx install tools
Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) rmaxx install compass
Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) rmaxx install hole
Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) rmaxx install cover
Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) rmaxx install done

Sponsored

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Finished the install today. Nothing difficult about it. Here's my install timeline:
    • Cross checked hole position against step bracket position - 20 minutes, tweaked a couple locations
  • Friday evening - unboxed everything, broke down packaging, rewashed the mount areas, swept floor of install area - 30 minutes
  • Saturday morning - Full install - cut holes, mounted plates to steps, mounted brackets, mounted steps, torqued everything - 2-1/2 hours
  • Extra credit - cut and installed Gorilla Waterproof Patch & Seal Tape (3 semi-circles per hole) - 1-1/2 hours

Install tips

Use a high quality hole saw. Make sure the pilot is drilled out well first, keep the speed low-medium before moving in for the hole cut. The Starrett 4" I used was purchased specifically for this project. I left my ACE hardware special in the tool box. The cuts were very clean without any cleanup other than running a finger along the edge to get the shavings to come loose.

I used a compass cutter to cut the tape semi-circles. I used a modified @jebinc method. I tried to keep tape off the mounting hardware and I added a 3rd semi-circle perpendicular to the first two.

Pics below.

rmaxx install tools.jpg
rmaxx install compass.jpg
rmaxx install hole.jpg
rmaxx install cover.jpg
rmaxx install done.jpg
Nice work; particularly love the last step! I’m a recovering blizzard junkie!

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired

Install tips

Pics below.

rmaxx install tools.jpg
rmaxx install hole.jpg
rmaxx install cover.jpg
rmaxx install done.jpg
Tell us more how you feel about the Gorilla seals and method?! Did you try plugs?

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired

Install tips

Pics below.

rmaxx install tools.jpg
rmaxx install hole.jpg
rmaxx install cover.jpg
rmaxx install done.jpg
@madgrey So, what value did you torque the TP55 bolts to? I saw everything from 55 to 100 lb-ft recommended!

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
Tell us more how you feel about the Gorilla seals and method?! Did you try plugs?
I have 4" plastic plugs and there's no way these would ever work. Maybe with 5" holes but getting the slot right, and doing it 8 times doesn't seem fun, even with my creeper with it's pillow. Even with more beer.

The Gorilla "tape" method is probably going to work fine and it's reasonably clean and sealed up, but not perfect. I'd redo them all if I could, but that stuff is very tenacious and probably not coming off easily.

The EV Sportline instructions say 100 ft-lbs for the TP55 and that's what I did, using the long torque wrench.

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I have 4" plastic plugs and there's no way these would ever work. Maybe with 5" holes but getting the slot right, and doing it 8 times doesn't seem fun, even with my creeper with it's pillow. Even with more beer.

The Gorilla "tape" method is probably going to work fine and it's reasonably clean and sealed up, but not perfect. I'd redo them all if I could, but that stuff is very tenacious and probably not coming off easily.

The EV Sportline instructions say 100 ft-lbs for the TP55 and that's what I did, using the long torque wrench.
Same conclusion on the plugs. I would need medication trying to get 4” plugs to work, even 5” ones. F that noise!

I went with the DCE supposed Rivian torque value of 55 ft-lbs - as no instructions were in my RB box or hardware bag.

Yeah, that Gorilla seal isn’t going anywhere. See my ruined shirt post! 😂

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired

Install tips

Pics below.

rmaxx install tools.jpg
rmaxx install hole.jpg
rmaxx install cover.jpg
rmaxx install done.jpg
And thumbs up on going with the Rivian-like triple slots! I had a person today ask me whenRivian released the running boards! The CY welt and ovals in the tread triggered the comment and false assumption! 😂

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
Same conclusion on the plugs. I would need medication trying to get 4” plugs to work, even 5” ones. F that noise!

I went with the DCE supposed Rivian torque value of 55 ft-lbs - as no instructions were in my RB box or hardware bag.

Yeah, that Gorilla seal isn’t going anywhere. See my ruined shirt post! 😂
I thought DCE said the TP55 bolts torque value was 95 ft-lb. The other hex-head bolts were torqued to 55 ft-lb but they have nothing to do with the Rmaxx RBs.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
And thumbs up on going with the Rivian-like triple slots! I had a person today ask me whenRivian released the running boards! The CY welt and ovals in the tread triggered the comment and false assumption! 😂
Do you like the yellow welt? Enough to permanently keep? I also ordered triple slots.

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Do you like the yellow welt? Enough to permanently keep? I also ordered triple slots.
I think I do! Since it’s easy to swap out, if I ever want a change, back to black or silver to match the truck, it’s an easy task to accomplish! The wifey is all over the CY OEM look as well!

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Any other new installs? Seems like EVS is shipping them out now, enmasse.
Sponsored