Sponsored

Master Thread: Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV)

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Awesome!!
Yes, it will have been a long time coming! I will be using the 4” thermoplastic plugs for now, as I don’t yet have rubber plugs… and won’t for at least two weeks. I will test those, and revise my review afterwards.
Sponsored

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Set 1 of 4 of the Chinese rubber plug sets have arrived - These are the 80mm hole size ones. Enjoy in good health! 90 or 100 MM are probably the right ones, if not the thermoplastic plugs posted earlier.

Edit: Not a fan of how thin the material thickness is at the "pre-cut" "Plus" lines, however. I may just stick with the thermoplastic plugs, we'll see....

IMG_6587.jpeg

IMG_6588.jpeg

IMG_6589.jpeg

IMG_6591.jpeg

IMG_6593.jpeg

IMG_6592.jpeg

@EV Sportline FYI
Are those 80mm holes or 100mm?

doit82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T
RBs just delivered! Grommets currently in Mass. So close!

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Are those 80mm holes or 100mm?
See my post you quoted. :giggle:

The pictured plugs are 80mm, as stated. I do think 4" thermoplastic caps, or the proper 100mm rubber plugs are the best path as going that route will allow a "Retrofit path" for those already with 4" holes - assuming those 4" holes were properly positioned when drilled to avoid bracket interference at the plug margins....

Sponsored

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
My RB's are out for delivery. Heading out to the garage now to continue my "pre-work"!!!
Can't wait for your installed pictures with the 4" thermoplastic plugs on first pass.

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Can't wait for your installed pictures with the 4" thermoplastic plugs on first pass.
I played with that and a couple of the brackets today, and got it to work, but it was a PITA; took too much time and not really for your average DIYer - so not commercially viable. After completing one side, I decided to abandon thermoplastic plugs, but I will have to wait "two weeks" to try the rubber 100mm grommets in 4" holes! If those can't be easily installed, securely, and require dropping the panels again, I will rule those out as not commercially viable as well.

While waiting the "two weeks" for my rubber grommets, I may explore other options, like thin rubber sheets, neoprene, or plastic, say 1/32"- 1/16" thick, that I will cut 4.5-5" circles out of. Slit them and either use removable glue, silicone caulk or other to affix the sheet to the outside of the panel, around the outside of the hole. I vetoed an inside attachment as that would require dropping the panels and, over time, would likely detach in whole or part, as water, snow and muck would get up in the hole cut-outs - so, not commercially viable, IMHO. Will think about other possible solutions as well.

After playing around today, I have a lot to say/share, about the panels, plugs, hole drilling and more... Given this, it will likely take me a few days to write it all up, gather all of the pictures and thoughts...

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
March 11th Update:

Since it will be a couple of weeks before I get the 100mm grommets, and more likely than not that another member will report in their efficacy long before I can, I'm going to try another alternative.... I have a 4" roll of Gorilla Waterproof Patch & Seal, which is arriving this morning.

I plan to cut two 5 1/2” radius pieces (out of the 4" wide product).

The first half will go on the back side of the bracket with a flap being affixed to the rear-facing side of the bracket (for sealing purposes), and the balance sealing around the outside perimeter of the 4" hole.

Next, I will repeat this for the front side of the bracket and overlap the top and bottom of the backside piece already installed.

Results will be posted in my overall Sunday, March 12 RMaxx Running Board product review (which may not be ready and posted until Monday, March 13th)!

Note: Yes, I know equivalent seal can be found in wider than 4" sizes, but I wanted to test this approach ASAP; and my plan was always to "split and overlap," so I went with this. Again, I'm searching for a "commercially viable," easy to install seal for those with existing 4" holes, and for those that plan to do 4" holes themselves, but want an easy, quick and secure seal solution (for whatever their reasons).

Product I purchased:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HSKRYQW?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Last edited:
OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
March 11th Update:

Since it will be a couple of weeks before I get the 100mm grommets, and more likely than not that another member will report in their efficacy long before I can, I'm going to try another alternative.... I have a 4" roll of Gorilla Waterproof Patch & Seal, which is arriving this morning.

I plan to cut two 5 1/2” radius pieces (out of the 4" wide product).

The first half will go on the back side of the bracket with a flap being affixed to the rear-facing side of the bracket (for sealing purposes), and the balance sealing around the outside perimeter of the 4" hole.

Next, I will repeat this for the front side of the bracket and overlap the top and bottom of the backside piece already installed.

Results will be posted in my overall Sunday, March 12 RMaxx Running Board product review (which may not be ready and posted until Monday, March 13th)!

Note: Yes, I know equivalent seal can be found in wider than 4" sizes, but I wanted to test this approach ASAP; and my plan was always to "split and overlap," so I went with this. Again, I'm searching for a "commercially viable," easy to install seal for those with existing 4" holes, and for those that plan to do 4" holes themselves, but want an easy, quick and secure seal solution (for whatever their reasons).

Product I purchased:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HSKRYQW?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
Teaser - The above is a winner; just completed all eight holes! 👍🏻

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Anyone else have a review (and pictures) to put up? Suggestions? Lessons learned? The more the merrier!

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I'm curious if anyone (other than me) has tried using plastic or rubber plugs - and drew a similar (or different) conclusion (PITA/Doesn't work 100% on all eight holes, etc.). Anyone?

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Any new arrives, installs or sealing results?
Sponsored