Sponsored

Master Thread: Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV)

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Since we are getting closer to these being shipped out to pre order holders, I thought I would create a thread for all of us to post our installation experiences, product reviews and other comments.

Hopefully, by next week, some of the first product will be in the hands of pre order customers!

@EV Sportline
Sponsored

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Update and a thought or two.....

Hello all! It appears we are close to seeing running boards ship for the first 30 early running board pre orders, as we are now entering February. I've been thinking about those pesky plastic panels, and what might be a better way - one that I plan to "test out" once my set arrives...

I plan to micro-slot the plastic covers as Brian @EV Sportline originally proposed (before people complained about having to remove the boards to get the covers off (e.g., tire shop visit w/o pucks)). I also find my panels, particularly the center ones, loose and they rattle. Go touch one and see for yourself! Could explain all the "front end noise" complaints?

The jebinc Plastic Panel Plan (P3):

1. Remove and micro-slot as originally instructed by @EV Sportline

2. Install brackets and boards as instructed... but given the recent EV Sportline install video, you would have to install the entire running board, and tighten down all the bolts down to ensure proper alignment with your particular truck. No problem, if doing the new " to the edge" slotting proposed by EV Sportline. My personal preference is not to lose the rigidity of the cheap thin plastic panels by slotting all the way to the panel's edge. So, for me, I will need to remove just the boards from the brackets, after alignment, just so I can reinstall the micro-slotted plastic covers. No bother (for me).

3. Now the jebinc "P3" deviation from the EV Sportline ... I will remove the problematic metal "V" clips from all the panels (leaving just the panel's plastic clip tabs for alignment purposes). I will then install proper all weather velcro (to panels and frame) along the clip edge to hold these flimsy panels in place (silently); either taped or epoxy adhesion method (still need to decide). This will quiet the Rivian panel design and will make future panel removal anxiety a thing of the past!

Will report how it goes, once I get my set...

Last edited:
OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Update #2

I see another @EV Sportline plastic panel mod video was just released in the main product thread. Not a fan of "Option 1," eight 4" gaping holes. Re "Option 2," I might have to revise my "P3" above a bit, as it appears from the video (see attached screenshots taken from the two videos), that slotting the panels as shown may not allow access to the upper bolts on the running board brackets so you can bolt the boards back on to the brackets - after reinstalling the modded plastic panels. Bolts and nut interference with plastic panel (aft/rear side of each bracket, where bolt shaft and nut will reside), it seems to show.

Can’t tell for sure until after I receive the product…

Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) 31516710-1E98-4793-A9FA-70C2FB030F5A

Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 3.18.40 PM

Last edited:
OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Update #3

Absent a product in hand to work with, I'm still trying to figure out a viable alternative to the two @EV sport line proposed plastic panel mods - as having eight gaping 4" holes is not ideal ("Option 1") - visually, aero, wind noise, and most importantly (to me) water/dirt/mud/Fir needle/gravel accumulation (between the plastic panels and steel frame). This is not an issue with the stock panels as there are no openings large enough that would allow debris/mud to build up between the panel and steel frame, only enough for water to drain. This issue also exists when leaving the panels off all together - dirt and debris will collect between the aft most remaining plastic and frame, in front of the rear wheels, as there will be nearly a 1/2"-1" gap there. "Option 2" appears to have bracket bolt/nut interference issues, rendering it possibly not viable (see above post).

So, as I continue to noodle about how to make "Option 2" more viable, while continuing to "stick" with my "P3" approach (see above), I've given some more thought to improving "Option 1".... For those that go with the 1EV's "Option 1," a possible improvement (to mitigate the concerns I've listed above) is to slot and install 4" rubber plugs in these eight 4" gaping holes. A set of five can be had on Amazon for less than eight dollars (link below). I may also experiment with 3" holes and plugs as well. More to come (eventually) when I receive my set...

https://www.amazon.com/Flush-Mount-Black-Plastic-Sheet/dp/B011HCOUZ0/ref=sr_1_9?crid=JCFUS9B8REDD&keywords=4"+rubber+plug&qid=1674921249&sprefix=4+rubber+plug,aps,160&sr=8-9

Note: I would have posted this info in the EV Sportline/1EV/RMaxx product thread, but for some unknown to me reason I do not have "sufficient privileges" to post in that one any more as I receive the following error message in only that thread, "You have insufficient privileges to reply here"...

Edit: Added plug picture

Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) Screenshot 2023-01-28 at 9.40.47 AM

Last edited:

BHWhite

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Audi Q7
Occupation
Small Business Owner
Update #3

Absent a product in hand to work with, I'm still trying to figure out a viable alternative to the two @EV sport line proposed plastic panel mods - as having eight gaping 4" holes is not ideal ("Option 1") - visually, aero, wind noise, and most importantly (to me) water/dirt/mud/Fir needle/gravel accumulation (between the plastic panels and steel frame). This is not an issue with the stock panels as there are no openings large enough that would allow debris/mud to build up between the panel and steel frame, only enough for water to drain. This issue also exists when leaving the panels off all together - dirt and debris will collect between the aft most remaining plastic and frame, in front of the rear wheels, as there will be nearly a 1/2"-1" gap there. "Option 2" appears to have bracket bolt/nut interference issues, rendering it possibly not viable (see above post).

So, as I continue to noodle about how to make "Option 2" more viable, while continuing to "stick" with my "P3" approach (see above), I've given some more thought to improving "Option 1".... For those that go with the 1EV's "Option 1," a possible improvement (to mitigate the concerns I've listed above) is to slot and install 4" rubber plugs in these eight 4" gaping holes. A set of five can be had on Amazon for less than eight dollars (link below). I may also experiment with 3" holes and plugs as well. More to come (eventually) when I receive my set...

https://www.amazon.com/Flush-Mount-Black-Plastic-Sheet/dp/B011HCOUZ0/ref=sr_1_9?crid=JCFUS9B8REDD&keywords=4"+rubber+plug&qid=1674921249&sprefix=4+rubber+plug,aps,160&sr=8-9

Note: I would have posted this info in the EV Sportline/1EV/RMaxx product thread, but for some unknown to me reason I do not have "sufficient privileges" to post in that one any more as I receive the following error message in only that thread, "You have insufficient privileges to reply here"...

Edit: Added plug picture

Screenshot 2023-01-28 at 9.40.47 AM.png
Very curious to hear if those 4" plugs work!

Sponsored

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Very curious to hear if those 4" plugs work!
I'm confident they will work, but who knows when I will have boards to mount and confirm. Shipping continues to slide (mid December to now perhaps February), unless you're getting an install at the ATL shop...

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Happy Saturday, all! Still looking for the first review of these. Has anyone received them, or had them installed at location?

Ginny

First Name
Ginny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 escalade ext, 2019 corvette
Occupation
retired
Happy Saturday, all! Still looking for the first review of these. Has anyone received them, or had them installed at location?
Install 2/15 in van Nuys. Can't wait!

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Has anyone received word that their running boards have shipped to their home, or are we in a perpetual “next week” loop? Reminds me of Elon Musk updates.

Sponsored

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Has anyone received word that their running boards have shipped to their home, or are we in a perpetual “next week” loop? Reminds me of Elon Musk updates.
I ordered a day or two after they announced them and mine haven't shipped yet.

Rexbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

So has a single customer yet received a set of running boards or sliders from 1EV?

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
So has a single customer yet received a set of running boards or sliders from 1EV?
Zero reports from members receiving any product or shipping email. All we have is the vender posting that they have been shipping for nearly 1-2 weeks...

Last edited:

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I got a shipping email from them and got excited, but turns out it was the center console organizer I ordered from them a few weeks ago. The wait continues.

doit82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T
I ordered a day or two after they announced them and mine haven't shipped yet.
Same here. Was told i would be in the first batch to ship......still waiting....
Sponsored