Sponsored

Master Thread: Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV)

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Worse comes to worse I'll just order off of Amazon. Still not sure if I want to do the 3" hole or the 4" hole.
Same source, same wait. No US suppliers and no alternatives either. I searched high and low.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Worse comes to worse I'll just order off of Amazon. Still not sure if I want to do the 3" hole or the 4" hole.
I’m torn between 70mm and 80mm. Will decide once everything arrives.

doit82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T
My rubber grommets made it to chicago!

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
Hey @jebinc, Related to this question:
With the smaller hole location shown, how are you addressing the "bracket hump"? I thought the horizontal area left of the 1" diameter hole (as pictured) is supposed to be clearance for this. Thanks in advance!
I still don't understand how you are going to make this work with the 80mm hole in the position you are showing. Based on the photos showing both 4" and L-shaped holes and the outline of both the round and L holes on the template, I show the bracket located as shown below.

Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) IMG-0201

1678144380959.png

doit82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T

I still don't understand how you are going to make this work with the 80mm hole in the position you are showing. Based on the photos showing both 4" and L-shaped holes and the outline of both the round and L holes on the template, I show the bracket located as shown below.

IMG-0201.jpg

1678144380959.png
This is always what i have not understood about trying to go less than 4" and the reason i ditched that plan. No matter what, you have to get into the curve of the panel to give room for the bracket to not be hitting and putting pressure on the panel after install. Seems to be some wiggle room on the outside edge of the panel, but not the inside curved edge.

Sponsored

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
This is always what i have not understood about trying to go less than 4" and the reason i ditched that plan. No matter what, you have to get into the curve of the panel to give room for the bracket to not be hitting and putting pressure on the panel after install. Seems to be some wiggle room on the outside edge of the panel, but not the inside curved edge.
Exactly. I think a 4" hole could be moved slightly down and to the left (with respect to template as shown above) to give clearance for the "bump" against the inside, inner "rim" of the hole plug, but as it stands, the heavier rubber plugs might have too much inside, inner rim and interfere with the "bump".

rkalbiar

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T , Tesla Model 3
Yeah, @EV Sportline scan you please speak to this? Template seems like it could be better optimized.

doit82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T
It could be there is some variability to where the hole lines up and we are only looking at one example where it seems it could be shifted a bit towards the horizontal bracket, but this might not be the case for every templated hole and truck.

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Will let you all know when I get the hardware and plugs... This Chinese plug sourcing (either via Amazon, eBay or direct) is a PiTA with Customs. Mine were to arrive on Friday, but just received yet another delayed ECD on all orders to next week.

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired

IMG-0201.jpg

1678144380959.png
Until I get hardware and plugs, I can't say for sure, as I have mentioned in prior posts. Keep in mind that my 80mm hole WILL NOT use the same center at the 4" hole on the template. I also will not be getting into the bend in the plastic panel, if I can avoid it. Again, until we have something to work with, we are all just guessing. Even with a 4" hole and plug, I don't see that dealing with the bend in the plastic panel well.

Edit: @madgrey Also, your sketch shows the bracket going all the way up to the edge of the 4" hole, when it does not. There is quite a bit of space between the upper edge of the bracket and the 4" hole cut out - A LOT, in fact. The hump may be a problem, however. Take a look at the install video and you can see just how oversized the 4" hole is.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Yeah, @EV Sportline scan you please speak to this? Template seems like it could be better optimized.
@EV Sportline has someone looking into the plugs, but they first need to be acquired - which isn't easy or quick as they come through China and all Chinese packages are heavily scrutinized these days (long Customs delays). So, no one can offer facts on the efficacy of said plugs until hardware and plugs are in hand. My plugs arrived in the US a week ago (to LA) and they are still down in SoCal as of this writing.

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
My rubber grommets made it to chicago!
Great! Let us know how long they are stuck in Customs in Chicago, and when they actually leave Chicago.

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Edit: @madgrey Also, your sketch shows the bracket going all the way up to the edge of the 4" hole, when it does not. There is quite a bit of space between the upper edge of the bracket and the 4" hole cut out - A LOT, in fact. The hump may be a problem, however. Take a look at the install video and you can see just how oversized the 4" hole is.
No. My bracket sketch is a literal tracing of the actual bracket location, from my computer screen set to scale correctly with the EV Sportline template. Therefore, it's as close as it needs to be given tolerances. If the photo is not representative of the actual bracket position, then of course my sketch can't be correct. However, if not, then someone show me one that is. More data will help all of us out here.

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
No. My bracket sketch is a literal tracing of the actual bracket location, from my computer screen set to scale correctly with the EV Sportline template. Therefore, it's as close as it needs to be given tolerances. If the photo is not representative of the actual bracket position, then of course my sketch can't be correct. However, if not, then someone show me one that is. More data will help all of us out here.
You may very well be right, but we (none of us) don't really know without the brackets and various hole sizes to try - Plugs may not even work with the 4" hole, for all I know. I drilled a variety of sizes (3", 70mm, 80mm and 100mm) into some old generic mud flaps I had laying around from my old Tesla (see attached).

NOTE: 100mm is smaller than 4", so if you don't drill a 100mm hole, but rather a 4" hole, there will be some "play between the grommet and the plastic panel - about 2.25mm worth).

Also, keep in mind that the bracket doesn't install on the same plane as the plastic panel is mounted, but is about 15-20 degrees pitched so our "straight on" sketches are not accurate. How much they are off remains a mystery.

Also, that plane difference seems to increase in pitch as you move towards the rear, so what hole size works up front may not work in the rear, etc.

Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) IMG_6540

Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) IMG_6541

Last edited:

doit82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T
Great! Let us know how long they are stuck in Customs in Chicago, and when they actually leave Chicago.
According to USPS it has left New Jersey, so I should see them soon i think. Too bad i leave town for a week starting tomorrow.
Sponsored