Sponsored

Master Thread: Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV)

doit82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T
Good deal! I'm feeling that 80mm rubber plugs are ideal, for most, and those more particular, can spend a little extra time and make 70mm plugs work. I've ordered both sizes of plugs and hole saws for my adventure. 100mm seems over-kill, but to each....
For me, I think the 100 mm will make it easier to ensure the rubber plug does not interfere with the running board bracket or the cantilever bracket on the other side.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
My rubber plugs (70mm and 80mm) have left China, with a delivery date of 3/10. I also just received a shipping email from EV Sportline, that my running boards will ship today! Does anyone know what level of service is being used to ship the running boards? Freight, UPS Ground, other? If yours also shipped, what company and service was used? Just trying to time the arrival of the RB and plugs.

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
My rubber plugs (70mm and 80mm) have left China, with a delivery date of 3/10. I also just received a shipping email from EV Sportline, that my running boards will ship today! Does anyone know what level of service is being used to ship the running boards? Freight, UPS Ground, other? If yours also shipped, what company and service was used? Just trying to time the arrival of the RB and plugs.
My review and process will be delayed as my RBs didn’t actually ship yet. Check back in “two weeks”!

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
Mine should arrive today but I probably won't install until next weekend. I'm still contemplating install options but I don't think I'm going to be removing the panel clips.

With the smaller hole location shown, how are you addressing the "bracket hump"? I thought the horizontal area left of the 1" diameter hole (as pictured) is supposed to be clearance for this. Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Mine should arrive today but I probably won't install until next weekend. I'm still contemplating install options but I don't think I'm going to be removing the panel clips.

With the smaller hole location shown, how are you addressing the "bracket hump"? I thought the horizontal area left of the 1" diameter hole (as pictured) is supposed to be clearance for this. Thanks in advance!
My 80mm rubber plugs will accommodate both the “slit,” not slot, and will flex to accommodate hump bulge.

Sponsored

Iatros786

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, 997 Turbo, Q7
Clubs

Thank you for all the energy and effort you guys are putting into this... just ordered my boards today, looking forward to a best-practice video and write up!

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Thank you for all the energy and effort you guys are putting into this... just ordered my boards today, looking forward to a best-practice video and write up!
Happy to contribute. If I only had my boards, I could produce a decent procedure. Check back in two weeks; perhaps by then shipping status will have moved from “label printed” to actually shipped and delivered!

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
While I continue my wait, I thought I would upload a quick sketch of my plan, using an 80mm hole-size (3-5/32nds inches) as an example. the 80mm hole grommet has an inner clearing diameter of 70mm to work with.

Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) Screenshot 2023-03-07 at 7.27.56 AM

Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) IMG_6506

Since it's a ring channel fitment, the OD of the grommet is >80mm. Again, this is for an 80mm hole cut out, which is more than enough and avoids cutting into the lower bend in the panels that help with panel rigitity. A 4" hole cuts into this bend, FWIW.

I will only make one Capital I slit for the protruding bracket - this will ensure proper sealing of the grommet to the bracket.

Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) 1678144542098

Attached is a quick, and I mean quick, sketch of the plan...

@kizamybute' provided me with this view of his 4" cutout - same orientation as my sketch.

Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) 1678144380959

Last edited:
OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Update for those following this journey -

My boards and plugs are due Friday, however, the plugs seem "stuck in LA" since 3/2. I ordered (on 2/25/23) several sizes from different Chinese suppliers and they are all the same status - in LA since 3/2, even though they are reported to have cleared US customs (maybe they found a banned substance stashed within, who knows???). I should be able to start and complete the "step-by-step" procedure by Sunday. I also plan to run all of that by @EV Sportline engineering before posting, just in case I missed something important.

Last edited:

doit82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T
My RBs arrive thursday and rubber grommets still making their way across the ocean. I will be doing the 4". Out of town next week, so hoping to install the following week when all the parts will be here.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
For those that have these Chinese plugs on order - Please post your order date and current status/location. And when they arrive, please report the delivery date, along with the other information - by replying to your own earlier post. Happy Plugging!

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Update for those following this journey -

My boards and plugs are due Friday, however, the plugs seem "stuck in LA" since 3/2. I ordered several sizes from different Chinese suppliers (on 2/25/23) and they are all the same status - in LA since 3/2, even though they are reported to have cleared US customs (maybe they found a banned substance stashed within, who knows???). I should be able to start and complete the "step-by-step" procedure by Sunday. I also plan to run all of that by @EV Sportline engineering before posting, just in case I missed something important.
Good news! My 80 mm plugs (ordered on 2/25/23) are now on the move within the US!

1. Mar 6, 2023
    9:33pm
    Arrived at Regional Distribution Center
    FONTANA, CA 92337

Last edited:

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
For those that have these Chinese plugs on order - Please post your order date and current status/location. And when they arrive, please report the delivery date, along with the other information - by replying to your own earlier post. Happy Plugging!
I'm holding off on ordering them before I see the final installation pics. My boards haven't shipped yet so I have time to wait.

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I'm holding off on ordering them before I see the final installation pics. My boards haven't shipped yet so I have time to wait.
Yes, and wait you shall... Keep in mind the Chinese plugs take about three weeks to get.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Yes, and wait you shall... Keep in mind the Chinese plugs take about three weeks to get.
Worse comes to worse I'll just order off of Amazon. Still not sure if I want to do the 3" hole or the 4" hole.
Sponsored