Sponsored

Master Thread: Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV)

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
The only contact I have gotten was to confirm the tread cutouts. You can check your order status on their website, but it's pretty pointless. The response is "your order is awaiting fulfillment". Which will show up first the running boards or the manual tonneau cover? My order number is in the 2000's. But how many are they making a week to ship, 100, 500, 1000? No one knows?
Based on member reports (those getting installed at the vendors two locations), it seems like the production yield is still quite low. I’d guess less than 10 sets per week at this time.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
PSA - Torque spec is reported for TP55 is 95 ft-lbs

jpal

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Got my shipping label this morning (to Texas). I was a day 1 preorder.

Sponsored

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, R2 res, Tesla S, 3, X, Y, Cybertruck
Occupation
Upgrading Electric Vehicles
Clubs

Gang, we have shipped as many as we have installed. Not a ton yet, and not everyone is on the forum or inclined to post on the forum.

We wanted to install the first ten before we shipped any, just be be sure we've checked, double-checked, triple-checked....ha ha...important! It's a big part, expensive part, expensive to ship - so we want things right, before rushed. We've taken a few punches from people for the shipping sliding, but I'll take that over 'bigger issues'. Trust me, not all Rivians are the same (not just 'variations, but other structural differences we found) - thankfully we discovered this early on, and made design changes to accommodate - but it cost some time. "IF" we would haver rushed a bunch to market, it would have been a mess for everyone. So, good things will come to those who wait. Keep in mind, my focus has been on our 'main thread' - here:

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...iders-for-rivian-r1t-r1s-from-team-1ev.10034/

At least two 'shipped' customers have posted over there, maybe more...not really counting. Production qty and speed is a hockey stick 'up'. Similar to how Rivian was at start. We are doing this right, for everyone's benefit! Thanks again Rivian Nation.

We have a call with JEBINC today to share some insights on the 'panel trimming' so he has details on how to refine the cuts for those who are interested.

jpal

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Gang, we have shipped as many as we have installed. Not a ton yet, and not everyone is on the forum or inclined to post on the forum.

We wanted to install the first ten before we shipped any, just be be sure we've checked, double-checked, triple-checked....ha ha...important! It's a big part, expensive part, expensive to ship - so we want things right, before rushed. We've taken a few punches from people for the shipping sliding, but I'll take that over 'bigger issues'. Trust me, not all Rivians are the same (not just 'variations, but other structural differences we found) - thankfully we discovered this early on, and made design changes to accommodate - but it cost some time. "IF" we would haver rushed a bunch to market, it would have been a mess for everyone. So, good things will come to those who wait. Keep in mind, my focus has been on our 'main thread' - here:

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...iders-for-rivian-r1t-r1s-from-team-1ev.10034/

At least two 'shipped' customers have posted over there, maybe more...not really counting. Production qty and speed is a hockey stick 'up'. Similar to how Rivian was at start. We are doing this right, for everyone's benefit! Thanks again Rivian Nation.

We have a call with JEBINC today to share some insights on the 'panel trimming' so he has details on how to refine the cuts for those who are interested.
Yes, I'm very excited! Definitely not criticizing - I think this is 100% the right priority, so props to y'all for not rushing it out. I just know some have been interested to hear about others on this forum receiving shipping labels, so just wanted to back y'all up and say that it IS happening!

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired

Thanks for all that you do, @EV Sportline! Appreciate the advanced insight on panel trimming (while I wait for my number to come up), so I can determine the viability, and method, of flush mount "plug" use and slotting - a possible option for that minority subset of anal customers, such as myself!

In addition to developing a “plug” process, I also plan to develop a precise RP55 bolt locator process ("template free") - so going with a 3” plug is “easy-peasy” (if possible). Right now my thought on that is to "drop" the non clipped sided of the panels only, apply some plumbers puddy on the underside of the panel and press up so the RP55 head leaves an impression in the puddy.

I’m also thinking about a cleaner method to transfer the bolt location to the panels, such as sharpening the socket side of the RP55 bit to a point. Inserting the bit into the bolt and pressing up so the point on the opposite side of the bit leaves an impression in the panel (or something similar, like double-sided tape or dots, ink or paint, to transfer a location onto the backside of the panel).

I plan to "back-feed" the brackets thru the 3” hole in the panel as the cantilever wing would likely be too wide to go in through the front; and then I would reinstall the panel and tighten the RP55 thru the 3” hole. Slotted 3” plugs would be installed after all final adjustments are made.

Last edited:

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
Thanks for all that you do, @EV Sportline! Appreciate the advanced insight on panel trimming (while I wait for my number to come up), so I can determine the viability, and method, of flush mount "plug" use and slotting - a possible option for that minority subset of anal customers, such as myself!

In addition to developing a “plug” process, I also plan to develop a precise RP55 bolt locator process ("template free") - so going with a 3” plug is “easy-peasy” (if possible). Right now my thought on that is to "drop" the non clipped sided of the panels only, apply some plumbers puddy on the underside of the panel and press up so the RP55 head leaves an impression in the puddy.

I’m also thinking about a cleaner method to transfer the bolt location to the panels, such as sharpening the socket side of the RP55 bit to a point. Inserting the bit into the bolt and pressing up so the point on the opposite side of the bit leaves an impression in the panel (or something similar, like double-sided tape or dots, ink or paint, to transfer a location onto the backside of the panel).

I plan to "back-feed" the brackets thru the 3” hole in the panel as the cantilever wing would likely be too wide to go in through the front; and then I would reinstall the panel and tighten the RP55 thru the 3” hole. Slotted 3” plugs would be installed after all final adjustments are made.
The slot is going to compromise the integrity of the plug. My main concern with the 3" (or smaller than 4") plug is that the effect is greater and therefore the plug has issues staying in place, or there simply isn't enough room, given tolerances, to get the slot cut with material left over on each side.

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
The slot is going to compromise the integrity of the plug. My main concern with the 3" (or smaller than 4") plug is that the effect is greater and therefore the plug has issues staying in place, or there simply isn't enough room, given tolerances, to get the slot cut with material left over on each side.
Placement of hole and plug is key. I will not be using the 4” center point provided by the template to locate the 3” hole. I’ll let you know how it goes…

Sponsored

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Update #2

I see another @EV Sportline plastic panel mod video was just released in the main product thread. Not a fan of "Option 1," eight 4" gaping holes. Re "Option 2," I might have to revise my "P3" above a bit, as it appears from the video (see attached screenshots taken from the two videos), that slotting the panels as shown may not allow access to the upper bolts on the running board brackets so you can bolt the boards back on to the brackets - after reinstalling the modded plastic panels. Bolts and nut interference with plastic panel (aft/rear side of each bracket, where bolt shaft and nut will reside), it seems to show.

Can’t tell for sure until after I receive the product…

31516710-1E98-4793-A9FA-70C2FB030F5A.png

Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 3.18.40 PM.png

Seems like this old post was on to something, based in this member’s PSA. Still going with 3” plug solution!

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...ivian-r1t-r1s-from-team-1ev.10034/post-290446

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Good point raised by this member. While dirty water may seep in where the plastic panels meet each other and the truck, debris certainly will not - until you cut 4" holes or over-sized slots. Then, needles, gravel and muck will certainly get between the panels and frame.

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...t-r1s-from-team-1ev.10034/page-63#post-290520

Looking forward to chatting with @EV Sportline Engineering to discuss their "lessons learned" so far, and possibly prototyping a solution for all of those interested. Short of a bracket redesign, I still think some sort of a plug (with a Capital "I" slit , vs. a 1/2" L "Slot," is best to seal the plug to the bracket), and a head gun, may be a way to go.

As noted on page one of this thread back in January (Post #2 and #3),

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...ards-sliders-from-team-1ev.11589/#post-273760

I also see a potential for the upper mounting bolts (towards the rear of the truck) interfering with the plastic panel, as well as the bend in the bracket just past the mounting point. A domed cap may be needed? Again, can't really determine until I have some hardware to work with. More to come (eventually)....

Last edited:
Reactions: MCA
OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
A crude Capital "I" "SLIT" sealing example.....

Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) IMG_6394

Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) IMG_6395

The "Slit" locations and easily be cut into the plug with an exacto knife or single edge razor blade, custom, after the brackets are installed - as the cap plastic is soft and flexible.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
A 3” or 4” rubber, not plastic, plug would be ideal - but they don’t seem to exist. Can anyone locate a source?

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE