Sponsored

Marketing Research: Why did YOU choose Rivian?

EVAdventureSeeker

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Occupation
Software Product Director
Hello all. I've been lurking in this forum for a few months. Just reading about all the exciting news as Rivian is getting ever-so-close to starting customer deliveries. I am taking a graduate marketing class and want to feature Rivian as my selected "up and coming brand" (i.e. a brand that as of today most people have not heard of, but in the near future will explode in popularity).

Ideally, I would interview actual owners but I don't know any owners so I'll have to hold off on that until deliveries start.

But I wanted to ask some initial questions here for any prospective owners (or, perhaps testers?). Would love your honest opinions. If there are any standout quotes, I may quote you in a future paper (I'd attribute them to your name, initials, or just your forum username - whatever I have). This paper would not be published and would only be seen by my professor.

Feel free to answer any or all questions - mix and match as you prefer. Skip ones that don't appeal to you. I'm trying to get some broad information for now. In the future, I'll be more specific. Thanks in advance!

Q1) Remembering back, how did you FIRST become aware of Rivian and when?

Q2) If you pre-ordered a Rivian vehicle, please describe

Q2A) Which vehicle you ordered and what was/were the specific reason(s) you decided to pre-order it?

Q2B) What features or attributes most excite you about the Rivian?

Q3) Do you enjoy any particular outdoor activities or off-road adventures that you plan to enjoy with your Rivian? Please describe how a Rivian can enhance your adventures.

Q4) What do you think of the price? For someone who has not yet heard of Rivian, what would you say to them regarding the price of the Rivian versus other rugged, off-road capable vehicles (Jeep Cherokee, Toyota FJ Cruiser, Toyota Tacoma TRD, Ford Bronco, etc.) ?

Q5) From this list which do you feel will be the top 3 ways that Rivian will promote its vehicles once customer deliveries begin - and why? -

- 'Adventure' event/show appearances
- Passive online (i.e. the Rivian website)
- "Pop-up" stores
- Retail (i.e. Rivian stores)
- Social media posts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.)
- Social media ads (FB, Twitter, YouTube, etc.)
- Traditional ads (TV, Magazines, Radio)
- Word-of-mouth/referrals
- Other (explain)

Q6) Imagine for a moment that you already own your Rivian - and it is everything you believe it will be! Write a one-paragraph mock testimonial that could serve as a voiceover for a (mock) future TV or online advertisement
Sponsored

Notaevfan

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suburban, Silverado 2500, E39 M5, e34 M5, E36 M3,
Occupation
Home Builder
Long question. R1S looks cool, sits up higher than crossovers, is fast. New burb, expedition, jeep thing all look bloated and dated already. Hopefully it's nice for the price. Wife doesn't do much offroading.

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

When I read about Amazon ordering 100,000 electric vans.

Q2A) Which vehicle you ordered and what was/were the specific reason(s) you decided to pre-order it?
R1T LE. I read that if you preordered you could choose a launch edition that would be delivered sooner.

It is electric. It is a truck. It is fast; 0 to 60 in 3 seconds.

Q3) Do you enjoy any particular outdoor activities or off-road adventures that you plan to enjoy with your Rivian? Please describe how a Rivian can enhance your adventures.
Currently don't adventure outdoors. I don't have an adventure vehicle yet.

Q4) What do you think of the price? For someone who has not yet heard of Rivian, what would you say to them regarding the price of the Rivian versus other rugged, off-road capable vehicles (Jeep Cherokee, Toyota FJ Cruiser, Toyota Tacoma TRD, Ford Bronco, etc.) ?
It is expensive, but it's what I want. It's comparable with a high end gas truck, price wise, but the feature set is a set up. The only reasonably close will be the F-150 lightening in a higher end trim. I don't have the patience to wait for that. I would likely cost more for the same level of features but won't be as fast.

Q5)

Last edited:

BrayBay

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Edition R1S - Forest Green/Forest Edge
Clubs

I first heard about Rivian in the middle of 2019. There was a discussion about electric vehicles and a co-worker mentioned he was going to pre-order a R1T since it was an electric pickup truck.

I pre-ordered a Launch Edition R1S, El Cap Granite, with 20" All-Terrain Wheels, and the Ocean Coast interior. The main reason for ordering it was Rivian was one of the very few three row electric SUVs being offered. Tesla Model X was being considered also, but those Falcon Wing doors turned me away. I was also considering a three row Tesla Model Y, but outside of small children I would not want to put anyone back there. The only other close option was a NIO ES8, but is the China market only.

There are a lot of attributes about Rivian that excite me, both the vehicle and the company. From the vehicle perspective, the performance specifications (range, speed, power, etc...) is definitely in a league of its own. The thoughtfulness of the design such as the gear tunnel or even small things like the LED flashlight.

The most appealing attribute about Rivian is the company. Listening to high profile Rivian employees talk, especially RJ Scaringe, about what they want to do and how they want to do it was massively appealing to me. Getting all the pieces lined up, slowly building up, attracting talent from some prestigious automotive and technology companies, and getting huge financial backing all signaled to me this was a company that was not just all talk.

Finally, I would say this Fully Charged video was most influential on me jumping on Rivian:

I actually consider myself a city dweller. I am not a huge outdoor fans, but with this vehicle I could see myself expanding my adventuring. Though not unique to Rivian, having all the storage capacity and enough room for seven people will definitely make adventures less of a hassle. The huge battery pack, with outlets to go with it, will certainly make adventuring more convenient. Even though there is no camp kitchen with the R1S, I could still see myself plugging in some portable induction cooktops or even a toaster oven.

In absolute terms, I think the price is a bit steep for many people. This is definitely not a Point A to Point B vehicle. However, when compared to other vehicles in the market, I think either Rivian vehicles have a lot of value. Some ICE vehicles fully loaded are right in the price range of Rivian, but doesn't seem as capable based on the response from the first drive events. Overall, I would say to someone who has not have heard of Rivian before, if they can afford it and want an electric vehicle, heavily consider a Rivian.

Q5) From this list which do you feel will be the top 3 ways that Rivian will promote its vehicles once customer deliveries begin - and why? -

- Passive online (i.e. the Rivian website)
- "Pop-up" stores
- Traditional ads (TV, Magazines, Radio)
- Other (explain)
I have made in bold my top three approaches. Seeing is believing for a lot of people, and the more people that can get in front of one and experience it first hand would probably result in better promotions. Social media posts, especially videos like the round table event and first customer experiences, will also help those who cannot make it to those events. Finally, word of mouth of referrals will build confidence in the product and company. The other options don't seem viable for a start-up company.

Q6) Imagine for a moment that you already own your Rivian - and it is everything you believe it will be! Write a one-paragraph mock testimonial that could serve as a voiceover for a (mock) future TV or online advertisement
This will be very tough, having not driven one myself. I would probably regurgitate all the claims so far about the vehicle being uncompromised on-road, off-road, and being part of the sustainability efforts.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
Hi EVAdventureSeeker,

I'll bite. I used to be a b-school professor and I'd encourage my students to do what you're doing.
Q1. I like following new car introductions at auto shows, professionally (interested in the auto industry) and personally. When Rivian launched at the L.A. Auto Show in November 2018, I was blown away. I ordered on 11/30/18.

Q2A. I've gone back and forth on the R1S and R1T at least a dozens times, but for the last half-year, I've stuck with the R1T. It's available sooner and it does more than the SUV in terms of utility and versatility. I have a small farm and can make use of that versatile utility. If I lived in a more urban or suburban setting though, I might opt for the R1S.

Q2B. The skateboard, drivetrain, 4 motor system, air suspension & kinetic, adaptive hydraulics, all of which are software controlled and managed are out of this world. Nothing else comes close.

Q3. I expect to be able to do light work on my farm, using Rivian as a power source for electric tools, and I expect to take Rivian on various adventures. Mountain biking is big where I live, and I'm looking forward to taking photo and archeological tours of the Southwest on the backroads of Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado and Nevada.

Q4. As for pricing, anything comparable from BMW, Mercedes, GM and Lexus will be similarly priced, but they won't have the out-of-this-world capabilities that Rivians do; see Q2B above. For the money, nothing matches Rivian's on-road and off-road chops.

Q5. In marketing, effectively reaching the broadest audience possible is key. I'd do traditional ads and social media ads first, and work closely with print and online auto reviewers. Word-of-mouth and referrals will follow if the Rivians are as good as we think they'll be.

Q6. If I get my Rivian before the semester ends, I'll write a testimonial.

Sponsored

Dohmar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Skyline R32 GTR, Subaru Forester Turbo SH9
Occupation
IT Professional
Since all markets are different, I'll speak to myself and my geographic location (Adelaide, South Australia)

Reveal around 3 years ago when the first stock photos came out, I liked the look of it and was intrigued.

R1T Adventure Package, Max Pack, Forest Green, 20" AT Dark's, Off Road Upgrade, Black Mountain Interior, Kitchen, Tent, charger, all the sets.

Have not - once they are out in Australia I will put a deposit down and then wait a year or two before buying.

All four motors and off road ability, the fact that I could use it as a daily driver and trickle charge it for free off home solar + battery overnight, adjustable height, handling and speed. The gear tunnel sealed it tho.

I camp and fish all the time in my home state. Having all the electricity avail will make that even more comfortable.

Its extremely expensive (or will be by the time our govt applies taxes) but it does what no other car will do and has more range than the competition with the max pack. In Australia, that is a very big deal especially if towing.

Social media ads/posts is a grey line, so lets consider them the same thing.
Adventure shows are the way people here in the cities get to see all the good stuff presented in one place.
Social media gives you the visibility while you're sitting at home
Word of mouth and referrals gives you credentials.

Nope.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
I had people in my orbit who knew RJ and his EV car that they tabled. Then I saw the reveal at the auto show in November ‘18 but didn’t place my deposit until Jan ‘19 when Dan Neil at WSJ wrote a fawning article.

I was an early test drive in Teslas but I’ve been waiting for an EV off roader. I thought the R1S styling was evocative of utes in my past, like the 69 Jeep wagon I posted a picture of here in another post.

I think Rivian will compete mostly in the same space as other premium trucks/suvs- a la land rover, raptor, mercedes gwagon- grocery getters and daily drivers mixed in with some serious off roaders reaching upmarket that might look at the other premium off road pickups and jeep wranglers

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Q1: During the 2018 auto show. At the time, it was out of our price range and we only had one child so it wasn’t really an option. Now with 3 kids and higher incomes, the R1S is our first choice for a new car.

Q2: R1S explore, large pack, 22” wheels. Explore seems like the best value.
Q2B: Space, acceleration, driver +, have a Tesla Model 3 and love EVs but want something bigger with 3 kids.

Q3: Not at this time. Will likely take to 1/4 mile track a few times.

Q4: I’m not comparing it to those vehicles for my use. It’s going up against luxury crossovers (Lincoln Aviator and Navigator, Tesla Model X, BMW X7, Range Rover, Tahoe, Escalade, Etc). I think the value and performance trumps all of those competitors and I doubt I’ll buy a non EV again. The prices are reasonable.

Q5:
1. In person events
2. Word of mouth
3. Leverage Amazon partnership

Q6: Maybe when I get my vehicle.

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
February 2019, searching the internet for a non-Tesla 3 row fully electric SUV.

R1S: I have kids, want a real third row, and refuse to buy a gas car for environmental reasons. I've always liked Range Rovers, but they're bloated and burn gas (though I would consider a 3-row plug in Defender if sold in the US). I'm basically the ideal target for the "What if Patagonia made a Range Rover" market Rivian seems to be aiming for.

Bringing gear to our cabin on the Russian River north of SF. Hardly off-roading, but nice to have the space and capability.

I'd say it's half the price of a Model X and a better car. Comprable to the XC90 plugin but all electric. The others aren't in the same class.

- Other (MY ANSWER: GETTING GREAT REVIEWS AND WORKING THE PRESS/HYPE CYCLE)
There's a reason I'm not in advertising.

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

I chose Rivian because of the truck design, their solid methodical approach and their commitment to the environment.

I cannot help but think that if ICE car exhaust where colored(black, red, green ect. )or had a foul oder we would have eliminated ICE a long time ago. Unfortunately the exhaust is colorless and mostly odorless so we don’t give it a second thought.

Rant over.
Sponsored