Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

The probability of one or more employees needed to host events/test drives having COVID or getting COVID is higher right now with Omicron than at any point in the last two years, that's what the case data tells us pretty clearly. That's my point. For further proof, look all around you and you'll see that this strain is far more prevalent than any prior and disrupting everything due to people having to quarantine. I've never seen more business disruption due to staffing shortages since the forced lockdowns. They also were not even running events during the Delta peak in July and August.

It's also possible that they just didn't plan to have any events right now, who knows and who cares. Far more deliveries are happening than just "one person in CO". If you're going to use this forum as the definitive official count (which is clearly wrong), there are at least two in CO anyway....

This conversation wasn't even about production or deliveries, so not sure why you blew a gasket to chime in. It's also absolutely possible/likely that some people in Jan/Feb will be delayed, because of the reason above and because that's life and sh!t happens. They are absolutely opening more service centers, you apparently aren't paying attention. Phoenix just opened, Austin is underway as well as Dallas, Houston and I'm sure many others that I'm not tracking.
Of course I am not using this forum as the official counter of deliveries - no need for the sarcasm. But those in this forum with Jan/Feb dates should have heard from Rivian by now since you would expect at least 30 days notice to lock in your build configuration.

There are some service centers, sounds like about six through amateur sleuthing on this forum and elsewhere. Of course not listed in the Rivian site unlike Lucid.

I linked these all together because it does seem like planning and execution (and communication) are lacking in several areas related to manufacture, service and facilities.

As for COVID it doesn’t stop them scheduling events in February onwards and adapting as needed. Omicron is already burning out in some countries tires like the UK that got it before the US and the same will happen here soon, so planning on events would be prudent. They can also be moved later. But again requires planning.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ajbrutman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, GTI
Clubs

I am March April but becoming doubtful

hed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Raptor, Rivian Reservation 13##
Honestly with the trucks delivered so far still under NDAs a product schedule calendar that is still in someone’s head a unfilled COO position and the R1S still missing in action I’m not optimistic about delivers in the first quarter of 22
We received our email stating a March-April time frame. My wife asked me when I thought the vehicle would actually be delivered. I said *maybe by end of Summer 2022, but would not be surprised if we didn't get it until sometime in 2023. I've been beating this drum for a long time. The onerous is on Rivian to either deliver when they say they will or communicate in a more timely manner when it's pretty obvious they aren't going to meet the self imposed delivery dates. It would probably benefit them to start giving out more conservative estimated delivery dates as well.

MrBritton

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover LR4
Occupation
Engineer
I'm in this delivery group, with an LE R1T, in Colorado. I believe they're outfitting a service center in Denver, maybe a 45 minute drive away.
I'm juggling an F150 Lightning reservation with the R1T - I need a farm truck for our evolving goat farm. I'm not so convinced the R1T is an appropriate farm truck, but I certainly approve of the features it has.
In an ideal world, Ford will send me an e-mail next week allowing me to order (I'm #23 at the local dealer), and a bare-bones Lightning will be built for me in late Spring. Ha ha! And the new barn will house the Lightning for charging and to serve as a backup generator.
Then, continuing the ideal world scenario, when Rivian actually contacts me, I'll change the R1T to an R1S with extended range, and that vehicle will replace my aging Land Rover, which I'll gift to my son. However, that purchase, to pass muster with the finance committee, will require a "liquidity event" at the company I work for and own stock in.
I'm sure it will all come to pass as I envision it.

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
I'm in this delivery group, with an LE R1T, in Colorado. I believe they're outfitting a service center in Denver, maybe a 45 minute drive away.
I'm juggling an F150 Lightning reservation with the R1T - I need a farm truck for our evolving goat farm. I'm not so convinced the R1T is an appropriate farm truck, but I certainly approve of the features it has.
In an ideal world, Ford will send me an e-mail next week allowing me to order (I'm #23 at the local dealer), and a bare-bones Lightning will be built for me in late Spring. Ha ha! And the new barn will house the Lightning for charging and to serve as a backup generator.
Then, continuing the ideal world scenario, when Rivian actually contacts me, I'll change the R1T to an R1S with extended range, and that vehicle will replace my aging Land Rover, which I'll gift to my son. However, that purchase, to pass muster with the finance committee, will require a "liquidity event" at the company I work for and own stock in.
I’m not sure the bare bones F-150 has the capability to do the home backup thing. Going to take $75k F-150 to get there

Sponsored

MrBritton

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover LR4
Occupation
Engineer
I’m not sure the bare bones F-150 has the capability to do the home backup thing. Going to take $75k F-150 to get there
That's probably the case, though there's a little uncertainty on that. My backup backup plan (ha ha) would be to just use the 7.2Kw outlet and manually switch a few circuits to be powered from that.
The things that push me toward Lightning are: (much) more power out, more convenient frunk, and CarPlay. If it were to be both a farm truck and road-trip vehicle, I'd go with the extended range Lariat @$80K, which is hard to swallow compared to the R1T, with its 4 motors and air suspension.

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
I’m on the fence with the ford. I have an order invite setting in my in mailbox. If I could configure the pro with a single cab 8 ft bed for the farm truck I would do it yesterday but that’s not an option currently. If I’m going to spend $75K to get 300 mile range it will probably be a Rivian

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
Jan '19 R1T LE LA Silver, Black Mountain. AT 20s and off-road package. Received my March-April notice but nothing since.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Stoked for all of you who have been waiting so long to finally get your trucks soon! I hope it ends up being exactly what you expected and more.

Rivian could definitely do a better job setting up ways for reservation holders to get test drives in before a truck shows up at their door, or if that’s not possible at least explain why that is a challenge for them. Even if they can’t do them all over the country they could pick 3 hubs or service centers across the country where only reservation holders could set up drives. I know I would be willing to fly somewhere to get that opportunity.

I can also cut them some slack because the last 2 years under this pandemic has been a royal pain in the @$$ for all businesses. We somehow managed to get a new building built for our business but if I wouldn’t recommend trying that to my worst enemy. And Omicron is a different beast than the previous variants. We somehow kept it out of our business for the last 2 years with over 30 employees (all in their 20s), but that changed with Omicron. We have had 4 positives in the last month. So if you have any sort of gathering at all right now, Omicron will be joining you there and likely WILL infect someone. So I understand their reluctance to hold events now as well…

OP
OP
rydb

rydb

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE
Clubs

Yeah.. we are almost down to a month until the beginning of the window and I have never even seen a Rivian in real life. I’ve thought about flying to LAX to see the Venice Hub, but that’s a long trip from Tallahassee just to see a car. I have a couple ski trips next month to Denver, so worst case I’ll go by the service center there and hope to see one and be able to look in the window. Maybe I’ll get lucky and someone will be there and let me take a look.

Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Stoked for all of you who have been waiting so long to finally get your trucks soon! I hope it ends up being exactly what you expected and more.

Rivian could definitely do a better job setting up ways for reservation holders to get test drives in before a truck shows up at their door, or if that’s not possible at least explain why that is a challenge for them. Even if they can’t do them all over the country they could pick 3 hubs or service centers across the country where only reservation holders could set up drives. I know I would be willing to fly somewhere to get that opportunity.

I can also cut them some slack because the last 2 years under this pandemic has been a royal pain in the @$$ for all businesses. We somehow managed to get a new building built for our business but if I wouldn’t recommend trying that to my worst enemy. And Omicron is a different beast than the previous variants. We somehow kept it out of our business for the last 2 years with over 30 employees (all in their 20s), but that changed with Omicron. We have had 4 positives in the last month. So if you have any sort of gathering at all right now, Omicron will be joining you there and likely WILL infect someone. So I understand their reluctance to hold events now as well…
Yes there is omicron but the projections are by the end of February it will have largely burnt out. They could plan for March, April onwards to have a series of displays, test drives etc. That would require planning and communication which have not been strong points for them.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
Oh this is me!

Ordered December 13, 2018. March-April Delivery Window.

LE R1T, Blue/Black, 22” Bright

Very much hoping I get lucky with a March date, and my Guide seems confident that these delivery windows are set in stone, but at this point who knows ?‍♂

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
My 2020 Ram that I had will be one of the primary basis of comparisons for me. My wife loved my Ram and is still mad at me for selling it when I did (thinking i would be getting my Rivian before I had to give my daughter her car at the time). It’s good to hear that it is at least as good ride wise.
It drives like a large sedan or something, not like a truck at all in “all purpose” mode anyway. I was surprised.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Not sure what your dealer has communicated, but mine is getting 3 Lightning's allocated for 2022. Ford isn't going to be able to pump out a massive number of Lightning's this year.

I haven't seen anything suggesting it's not on Ford's website. The ER comes with the 80 amp EVSE, which is required for their intelligent backup system, but that can be purchased after the fact for the standard range truck. I think the biggest issue will be people having 320 amp service if that's actually required as stated here:
https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f150-lightning/2022/features/intelligent-backup-power/

I don't think you would need to, because the power is delivered to the EVSE through the CCS plus and I'm assuming SunRun is installing an inverter, but there *may* be a requirement to add the 9.6kW pro-power option. Ford's not clear about that though.

MrBritton

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover LR4
Occupation
Engineer
Not sure what your dealer has communicated, but mine is getting 3 Lightning's allocated for 2022. Ford isn't going to be able to pump out a massive number of Lightning's this year.
Yep, I pinged my Ford dealer, and they have just learned they get 5 Lightnings for 2022. So it looks like it's a Rivian for me!
I've also learned that Rivian has indicated they might very well support vehicle-to-house backup power at a later date, and I see that some charger companies are working on generic vehicle-to-house/grid solutions.
That, plus the TFL YouTube video showing an R1T being used for "ranch chores" has me more comfortable with the Rivian route.
Sponsored

Last edited: