Acura MDX

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
Nov. 2018 order, March-April '22 promised delivery, LE, LG, BM, 20" ATs, off-road, spare tire. I'm about 60 miles from the S.F. service center.

I've a zoom meet scheduled with a Span Drive rep in a few days for a charger installation with bi-directional capabilities. I'll let folks know what I learn. At the CES in Las Vegas, Span announced a bi-directional charger at the same pricing as Rivian's charger.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Valid. Couldn't they let people know if that's the case? "Hey Diddy, we've got a bunch of events lined up ready to rock your world, including near your location. Unfortunately we don't feel it's safe with the current variant going around. As soon as Omicron chills its ass out, we'll get these launched immediately. Thanks for your understanding, and rest assured you're on our invite list and you'll receive an email as soon as things ease up. Sincerely and always yours - RJ

PS - Our first Limestone R1T just rolled off the line. Might as well change your configuration to it right now, because it f-ing sweet. Get ready to have your mind blown. Hugs - RJ"
Ha, yeah I guess they "could", but I'm thinking your socks would be blown off into the next county if you got that kind of proactive communication about delays to an event you didn't even know about yet.

(If this was in fact what's going on) In Rivian's mind, there is no need to provide an update on something that wasn't even a thing yet. Philosophically to them, an uncommunicated event can't possibly have delays and thus no communication should be expected. In this case, the communication now would just be to expect an update in the future about events in the even farther future. More efficient to just skip the first update and only provide the second when there is something more concrete to communicate.

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management

MurryR1T

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T delivered 3-24-22
Valid. Couldn't they let people know if that's the case? "Hey Diddy, we've got a bunch of events lined up ready to rock your world, including near your location. Unfortunately we don't feel it's safe with the current variant going around. As soon as Omicron chills its ass out, we'll get these launched immediately. Thanks for your understanding, and rest assured you're on our invite list and you'll receive an email as soon as things ease up. Sincerely and always yours - RJ

PS - Our first Limestone R1T just rolled off the line. Might as well change your configuration to it right now, because it f-ing sweet. Get ready to have your mind blown. Hugs - RJ"
That’s too much like right.. we consumer’s don’t deserve basic information like that.

Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I think you have to consider the COVID environment we are currently in. I think any possible events or test drives that may have been planned are on pause indefinitely. Without knowing when they might be able to resume, there is nothing to communicate yet.
COVID has been around for nearly two years and they could run events last year with delta. They should be running more first drives, they should opening more hubs and service/delivery centers. Not everything can be put on COVID, there does seem to be some poor planning and/or execution to drop the ball on so many things.
We are a quarter of the way through this delivery window (Jan to Feb) and it sounds like one person in CO has received theirs. I would expect people with March dates to start to be contacted to lock down build details but crickets.

turbome

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
We did the first mile in December in Santa Clarita and at that time everyone had to wear a mask the entire time, indoors and out. They had plenty of staff there and almost every color of truck (didnt see any red). Seems weird to me they are not still doing those at that location unless they simply don't have staff due to covid issues. I know many, many people tested positive over the holidays and maybe that is the problem. They should communicate that either way though. Since we have not received any delivery update since the March-April, I am assuming this is still in the ballpark. I would guess Rivian is still trying to make those date but if they are not going to, I wouldn't expect to hear until late Feb that we are getting delayed. I am as anxious as everyone else but I think we should be realistic that this is a start up car company during a pandemic so many delays are to be expected. Look how long behind schedule the Model 3 was and that was after Tesla was established and not during a supply chain shortage and pandemic.

turbome

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I can also relay that for anyone who has not driven the truck, I don't think you will be disappointed assuming you have driven any truck in the past before. It's not a sports car but drives just as well or better than my Ram that had the air suspension. Felt solid on and off road. You could feel the weight but not to a point where in 15 min you didn't get used to it.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
COVID has been around for nearly two years and they could run events last year with delta. They should be running more first drives, they should opening more hubs and service/delivery centers. Not everything can be put on COVID, there does seem to be some poor planning and/or execution to drop the ball on so many things.
We are a quarter of the way through this delivery window (Jan to Feb) and it sounds like one person in CO has received theirs. I would expect people with March dates to start to be contacted to lock down build details but crickets.
The probability of one or more employees needed to host events/test drives having COVID or getting COVID is higher right now with Omicron than at any point in the last two years, that's what the case data tells us pretty clearly. That's my point. For further proof, look all around you and you'll see that this strain is far more prevalent than any prior and disrupting everything due to people having to quarantine. I've never seen more business disruption due to staffing shortages since the forced lockdowns. They also were not even running events during the Delta peak in July and August.

It's also possible that they just didn't plan to have any events right now, who knows and who cares. Far more deliveries are happening than just "one person in CO". If you're going to use this forum as the definitive official count (which is clearly wrong), there are at least two in CO anyway....

This conversation wasn't even about production or deliveries, so not sure why you blew a gasket to chime in. It's also absolutely possible/likely that some people in Jan/Feb will be delayed, because of the reason above and because that's life and sh!t happens. They are absolutely opening more service centers, you apparently aren't paying attention. Phoenix just opened, Austin is underway as well as Dallas, Houston and I'm sure many others that I'm not tracking.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
We did the first mile in December in Santa Clarita and at that time everyone had to wear a mask the entire time, indoors and out. They had plenty of staff there and almost every color of truck (didnt see any red). Seems weird to me they are not still doing those at that location unless they simply don't have staff due to covid issues.
It was never planned to continue past something like 12/20 or thereabouts. All of those events are limited to a 2-3 week window and they all move on to the next one.

Sponsored

turbome

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
It was never planned to continue past something like 12/20 or thereabouts. All of those events are limited to a 2-3 week window and they all move on to the next one.
Gotcha. Seems weird that they would only do it for a few weeks and then move it especially in Southern California. If that is the case, glad we got in when we did.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Gotcha. Seems weird that they would only do it for a few weeks and then move it especially in Southern California. If that is the case, glad we got in when we did.
It's the same people manning it, so every day in SoCal is a day not somewhere new. It was in Sonoma prior to LA, and rumors/gossip was that it might go to AZ or CO next. We'll see. My guess is the original expectation was for a new location every month, but Omicron probably scrapped January and perhaps even February.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Nov. 2018 order, March-April '22 promised delivery, LE, LG, BM, 20" ATs, off-road, spare tire. I'm about 60 miles from the S.F. service center.

I've a zoom meet scheduled with a Span Drive rep in a few days for a charger installation with bi-directional capabilities. I'll let folks know what I learn. At the CES in Las Vegas, Span announced a bi-directional charger at the same pricing as Rivian's charger.
I had not heard of SPAN, so thanks for sharing...in looking at their website, it looks like SPAN is really just a smart panel, but you will also need a battery backup as it does not work as a V2H inverter, something I am looking for.

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
I'm guessing there are many of us in the March/April group that have not yet been invited to First Mile. If the window holds it seems very likely that many may not get to a First Mile event prior to having to finalize our orders, and perhaps even taking delivery. I am personally ok with that, but it would sure be nice to see the colors and drive it before I finalize...

acacia328

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ram Limited, 2010 Ford F-150 Platinum, Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
I can also relay that for anyone who has not driven the truck, I don't think you will be disappointed assuming you have driven any truck in the past before. It's not a sports car but drives just as well or better than my Ram that had the air suspension. Felt solid on and off road. You could feel the weight but not to a point where in 15 min you didn't get used to it.
My 2020 Ram that I had will be one of the primary basis of comparisons for me. My wife loved my Ram and is still mad at me for selling it when I did (thinking i would be getting my Rivian before I had to give my daughter her car at the time). It’s good to hear that it is at least as good ride wise.
Sponsored