Sponsored

Manual Tonneau Cover coming back?! [Update: Friend's manual tonneau will be shipped when ready - no ETA given]

robertrivian

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Porsche Cayenne GTS, 2023 R1T on order
Clubs

I was in the same boat. They don’t have an incentive to tell people if it means they hold back their order. I am still not convinced they will offer a powered cover going forward. It is a lot of effort with limited financial upside.
To some degree, I agree with you but how do you fix the 10,000 plus that are already out there. If you fix those, wouldn't you want to make money on selling it to others?
Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

To some degree, I agree with you but how do you fix the 10,000 plus that are already out there. If you fix those, wouldn't you want to make money on selling it to others?
I thought that but there are two other options to fixing it and selling it on new vehicles. #1 is just put a fix in for those 10k and nurse it through warranty or #2 don’t fix it and give the affected people a free manual cover and some money back (essentially cutting their losses).
I hope they fix it and sell powered covers to new buyers but the longer this goes on the more I get pessimistic that is the case.

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
I thought that but there are two other options to fixing it and selling it on new vehicles. #1 is just put a fix in for those 10k and nurse it through warranty or #2 don’t fix it and give the affected people a free manual cover and some money back (essentially cutting their losses).
I hope they fix it and sell powered covers to new buyers but the longer this goes on the more I get pessimistic that is the case.
They could also build one that isn't cost effective, and eat the cost for those 10k people but not sell it because it's essentially a $6000 device that wouldn't be worth selling for them...

robertrivian

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Porsche Cayenne GTS, 2023 R1T on order
Clubs

They could also build one that isn't cost effective, and eat the cost for those 10k people but not sell it because it's essentially a $6000 device that wouldn't be worth selling for them...
I wonder why they can't put a roll up type in the space they have the slats as it would be a great place to put it as most people still give up space when they install a rollup power tonneau cover. Anyone have any thoughts on why this wouldn't work? In fact, they could outsource this if they wanted to a company like leer who has several options for other trucks.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I wonder why they can't put a roll up type in the space they have the slats as it would be a great place to put it as most people still give up space when they install a rollup power tonneau cover. Anyone have any thoughts on why this wouldn't work? In fact, they could outsource this if they wanted to a company like leer who has several options for other trucks.
A rollup style tonneau cover is not nearly as packaging efficient as the current designed slat system. The current system is >90% efficient and a rollup is <70% efficient.

The difference means, Rivian would have to modify the gear tunnel to accommodate the extra space needed and that would create absolute havoc because it would require structural changes and retooling.

Sponsored

ZeeMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Today I was told by my Rivian Guide the manual tonneau cover is just now in production. "The fulfillment team has confirmed that we should start shipping those items shortly."

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3P, Eva Ribelle
Occupation
IT Exec
Today I was told by my Rivian Guide the manual tonneau cover is just now in production. "The fulfillment team has confirmed that we should start shipping those items shortly."
Not that I don’t appreciate the sharing of information, but we’ve heard that one before.

LaxRN

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 SEL AWD
Occupation
RN
I visited the SC in El Segundo CA yesterday. The person I spoke to said they honestly have no idea when they will be ready or shipped.
Sponsored