MagSafe with Stock Rivian Charging Pad - Test Needed

VHRivian

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Chevrolet Traverse
I need a current R1 owner (unfortunately not me) to test something. Clearly if Rivian would just sell me a vehicle I would try it myself, but that may be awhile.

I recently ordered a MagSafe phone holder for the shower. It came with two adhesive-backed metal rings to allow non-MagSafe devices to use the mount. This is not a charger at all, but the purpose of keeping a device in place made me think that does seem to be a big part of the issue with phones not charging on the stock charger. If the ring would allow for the phone to stick in one place, would it charge?

I am wondering if mounting a metal ring like this either on or (preferably) under the stock charging pad would get the iPhone to stay in place and charge using the existing setup?

Thoughts? Anyone have one of those rings around to test it out?
Sponsored

OP
OP
VHRivian

VHRivian

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Chevrolet Traverse
Rivian R1T R1S MagSafe with Stock Rivian Charging Pad - Test Needed 71lY66Ue3wL._AC_SL1500_

OP
OP
VHRivian

VHRivian

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Chevrolet Traverse
FYI - I have tested this to the best of my ability by using a crappy Qi charger that barely works with my iPhone, then I stick a thick piece of cardboard on top with the metal ring on that centered over the charger. It grabs the phone's MagSafe ring and charges. I really think this is a simple replacement for the many wonderful products people are creating as an alternative to the stock pad.

Anyone out there able to mock something up on the truck to see how it works?

AYAYRON

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
I need a current R1 owner (unfortunately not me) to test something. Clearly if Rivian would just sell me a vehicle I would try it myself, but that may be awhile.

I recently ordered a MagSafe phone holder for the shower. It came with two adhesive-backed metal rings to allow non-MagSafe devices to use the mount. This is not a charger at all, but the purpose of keeping a device in place made me think that does seem to be a big part of the issue with phones not charging on the stock charger. If the ring would allow for the phone to stick in one place, would it charge?

I am wondering if mounting a metal ring like this either on or (preferably) under the stock charging pad would get the iPhone to stay in place and charge using the existing setup?

Thoughts? Anyone have one of those rings around to test it out?

I didn't read through the thread but I tried a magsafe charger through the pad, it doesn't work at all.

That being said s00nish.com is releasing a complete replacement for the wireless charging system, new 3d printed parts along with a really nice wood inlay to cover the pucks, and the magnet works through the wood cover (They are on this forum)

Here's a link to the thread
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...mium-charging-plate.11924/page-20#post-297182
Sponsored