Sponsored

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
We have all probably seen the video showing the magnetic tablet mount on the back of the headrest. Looked clean and relatively easy, but there was little information about it. I was also skeptical of the ability to hold a heavy tablet with a magnet.

I ended up buying multiple mounts to try to find the strongest and best fit. (Thank you Amazon for your generous and easy return policy.) I decided to document this to hopefully make things easier for the next person to try this.

We have Samsung Tablet A 10.1 (2019) tablets for the kids (yes I know it is a mouthful but that is the way I have to search for everything for them). They aren't the heaviest tablets, but also not lightweight like a phone would be. In our old car we had cradle style mounts that attached to the headrest posts, but obviously this won't work on the R1. The mount I ended up going with was the Scosche MagicMount Pro XL Flush mount.

It advertises being strong enough for tablets, and that does seem to be true. I did also try the original MagicMount Pro (seemed weaker, XL advertises 2x stronger, but I don't know if it is quite that much), and the MagicMount Pro2 (works with MagSafe and seems ok for a phone, but also seemed weaker than the XL).

They come with a metal plate to stick on the tablet, and once this is on, the magnet is super strong.

Rivian R1T R1S Magnetic Tablet / iPad Holder Mounts installed: feedback, review, notes & photos 20220625_234302334_iOS

You can twist it to change from landscape to portrait mode, but shaking it or bumping it doesn't seem to make it come loose at all. Trying it in the house, I was worried with how hard I was throwing my hand to get it to come free it was going to fly across the room when it actually did. In fact I have a little bit of concern that it may eventually pull the adhesive off the headrest the magnet is so strong, so we will have to be careful when removing them from the truck.

To mount them to the headrest hook, it is just 3M adhesive. The magnet mount is larger than the hook on the truck. You can just peel off the tape and stick it on, but I didn't want it attracting dirt and fur (dog, not kids) on the overhanging area, so I broke out my art class skills and made a crayon tracing of the hook, and cut that to use as a template for where I should remove the backing.

Rivian R1T R1S Magnetic Tablet / iPad Holder Mounts installed: feedback, review, notes & photos 20220625_233857812_iOS

(It is symmetrical on the truck, but apparently I need to attend some remedial art classes to refine my tracing skills.)

Rivian R1T R1S Magnetic Tablet / iPad Holder Mounts installed: feedback, review, notes & photos 20220625_233934447_iOS

I used a knife to cut the inside of the line and then stuck it on. You notice I offset the mount so it was biased to the bottom. This was to give clearance for the power outlet.

Rivian R1T R1S Magnetic Tablet / iPad Holder Mounts installed: feedback, review, notes & photos 20220625_234222672_iOS

The mount comes with black and silver trim rings. I chose the black so it will blend in more. The silver ring will also be used later.

The tablet fits perfectly there, and looks great.

Rivian R1T R1S Magnetic Tablet / iPad Holder Mounts installed: feedback, review, notes & photos 20220625_234429126_iOS

A short right angle USB C cable will be used for power, but you have to be careful with the style of the right angle as some aren't sharp enough and will not fit with the wood piece. I would have loved to use a 1 ft cable, but the shortest I could find that worked was 3 ft. I will just wrap it around the mount to keep it tidy.

You could stop there, but I know I don't like the bare tablet there as I have knocked one off the old car and shattered it, so I wanted to put some kind of bumper style case back on it. The problem was the case was thick so the magnets don't work well through it, but that shouldn't stop you.

I used the extra trim piece as a template for the shape to cut into the back of the case. Some careful measurements, cutting and a little trimming gets a hole in the back of the case where you won't see it (so it doesn't have to be pretty), but allows for strong magnetic attraction. I used the case I had cut previously for our old mounts because new cases won't be here before we leave, but everything worked as expected so I will order new cases for a cleaner appearance.

Rivian R1T R1S Magnetic Tablet / iPad Holder Mounts installed: feedback, review, notes & photos 20220625_235303517_iOS

Finally the finished product ready for adventure. Probably best for on-road adventures, not sure if I would trust it bouncing over rocks, but the kids shouldn't need more than the windows for entertainment then anyway.

Rivian R1T R1S Magnetic Tablet / iPad Holder Mounts installed: feedback, review, notes & photos 20220625_235355459_iOS

Note: After test fitment and pictures, I took the tablets off to give 24 hours for full adhesive strength of the mounts as outlined in the instructions. I take them off the mounts when we aren't going on long trips. I left them on for a week once while we were vacationing in hot temperatures (over 100 outside) and the adhesive actually came off the metal plate on the tablet, but the mount stayed stuck to the seat hook. That was about a week after the initial install, so maybe they are more adhered now, but I still take them out until we need them. This install was 3.5 months and 4k miles ago. We haven't had any other issues.
Sponsored

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Great mod and write-up. Thanks for sharing the details. I may try this out myself now that you’ve blazed a trail.

DynoSaur

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Occupation
Network Engineer
Thanks for the detailed walkthrough and info!

Super helpful!

Voronbrg

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Everything
Nice. I've been using a ram mount on the roof glass.

Mr Midnight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
We have all probably seen the video showing the magnetic tablet mount on the back of the headrest. Looked clean and relatively easy, but there was little information about it. I was also skeptical of the ability to hold a heavy tablet with a magnet.

I ended up buying multiple mounts to try to find the strongest and best fit. (Thank you Amazon for your generous and easy return policy.) I decided to document this to hopefully make things easier for the next person to try this.

We have Samsung Tablet A 10.1 (2019) tablets for the kids (yes I know it is a mouthful but that is the way I have to search for everything for them). They aren't the heaviest tablets, but also not lightweight like a phone would be. In our old car we had cradle style mounts that attached to the headrest posts, but obviously this won't work on the R1. The mount I ended up going with was the Scosche MagicMount Pro XL Flush mount.

It advertises being strong enough for tablets, and that does seem to be true. I did also try the original MagicMount Pro (seemed weaker, XL advertises 2x stronger, but I don't know if it is quite that much), and the MagicMount Pro2 (works with MagSafe and seems ok for a phone, but also seemed weaker than the XL).

They come with a metal plate to stick on the tablet, and once this is on, the magnet is super strong.

20220625_234302334_iOS.jpg

You can twist it to change from landscape to portrait mode, but shaking it or bumping it doesn't seem to make it come loose at all. Trying it in the house, I was worried with how hard I was throwing my hand to get it to come free it was going to fly across the room when it actually did. In fact I have a little bit of concern that it may eventually pull the adhesive off the headrest the magnet is so strong, so we will have to be careful when removing them from the truck.

To mount them to the headrest hook, it is just 3M adhesive. The magnet mount is larger than the hook on the truck. You can just peel off the tape and stick it on, but I didn't want it attracting dirt and fur (dog, not kids) on the overhanging area, so I broke out my art class skills and made a crayon tracing of the hook, and cut that to use as a template for where I should remove the backing.

20220625_233857812_iOS.jpg

(It is symmetrical on the truck, but apparently I need to attend some remedial art classes to refine my tracing skills.)

20220625_233934447_iOS.jpg

I used a knife to cut the inside of the line and then stuck it on. You notice I offset the mount so it was biased to the bottom. This was to give clearance for the power outlet.

20220625_234222672_iOS.jpg

The mount comes with black and silver trim rings. I chose the black so it will blend in more. The silver ring will also be used later.

The tablet fits perfectly there, and looks great.

20220625_234429126_iOS.jpg

A short right angle USB C cable will be used for power, but you have to be careful with the style of the right angle as some aren't sharp enough and will not fit with the wood piece. I would have loved to use a 1 ft cable, but the shortest I could find that worked was 3 ft. I will just wrap it around the mount to keep it tidy.

You could stop there, but I know I don't like the bare tablet there as I have knocked one off the old car and shattered it, so I wanted to put some kind of bumper style case back on it. The problem was the case was thick so the magnets don't work well through it, but that shouldn't stop you.

I used the extra trim piece as a template for the shape to cut into the back of the case. Some careful measurements, cutting and a little trimming gets a hole in the back of the case where you won't see it (so it doesn't have to be pretty), but allows for strong magnetic attraction. I used the case I had cut previously for our old mounts because new cases won't be here before we leave, but everything worked as expected so I will order new cases for a cleaner appearance.

20220625_235303517_iOS.jpg

Finally the finished product ready for adventure. Probably best for on-road adventures, not sure if I would trust it bouncing over rocks, but the kids shouldn't need more than the windows for entertainment then anyway.

20220625_235355459_iOS.jpg

Note: After test fitment and pictures, I took the tablets off to give 24 hours for full adhesive strength of the mounts as outlined in the instructions. I take them off the mounts when we aren't going on long trips. I left them on for a week once while we were vacationing in hot temperatures (over 100 outside) and the adhesive actually came off the metal plate on the tablet, but the mount stayed stuck to the seat hook. That was about a week after the initial install, so maybe they are more adhered now, but I still take them out until we need them. This install was 3.5 months and 4k miles ago. We haven't had any other issues.

Thank you for posting these incredibly detailed instructions - this community really is phenomenal.

Realize I’m reviving an old thread, but how has this setup worked out for you over the past 1-2 years?

I’m considering this mod for our R1S and would love to hear any long-term feedback on usability and/or component failures (e.g. additional problems with that hook adhesive).

Thanks in advance - appreciate anything you’re willing to share!

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
camaroz1985

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Thank you for posting these incredibly detailed instructions - this community really is phenomenal.

Realize I’m reviving an old thread, but how has this setup worked out for you over the past 1-2 years?

I’m considering this mod for our R1S and would love to hear any long-term feedback on usability and/or component failures (e.g. additional problems with that hook adhesive).

Thanks in advance - appreciate anything you’re willing to share!
It worked well for about a year then in the heat the adhesive came off the tablet side of the mounting plate. I considered refixing it with a glue or epoxy in hopes it wouldn't ever come loose (to clarify, plate to tablet not mount to headrest). Instead I bought the Open Source EV tablet mounts and a spring loaded clamp style holder. They do stick off the headrests further, and on really rough roads make noise (the holder not the mount), but I don't have to worry about any adhesive coming loose.

I had briefly considered using the 3D printed mount from Open Source EV and modifying the file to hold the magnetic mount, but ultimately decided it wasn't worth the effort.

Mr Midnight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
It worked well for about a year then in the heat the adhesive came off the tablet side of the mounting plate. I considered refixing it with a glue or epoxy in hopes it wouldn't ever come loose (to clarify, plate to tablet not mount to headrest). Instead I bought the Open Source EV tablet mounts and a spring loaded clamp style holder. They do stick off the headrests further, and on really rough roads make noise (the holder not the mount), but I don't have to worry about any adhesive coming loose.

I had briefly considered using the 3D printed mount from Open Source EV and modifying the file to hold the magnetic mount, but ultimately decided it wasn't worth the effort.

Got it - thanks for the feedback.

When you decided this setup wasn’t working, were you able to remove the adhesive mount without damaging the headrest hook?

If your mod is reversible, I may give it a shot (assuming I can find a reasonable solution to the problem you outlined).

OP
OP
camaroz1985

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Got it - thanks for the feedback.

When you decided this setup wasn’t working, were you able to remove the adhesive mount without damaging the headrest hook?

If your mod is reversible, I may give it a shot (assuming I can find a reasonable solution to the problem you outlined).
Yes, came off no problem, didn't even leave behind a residue (maybe that is a sign it wasn't the best adhesion).
Sponsored