First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Got a significant crack/chip in the windshield that needs to be replaced.

Has anyone dealt with this in MA yet? Plymouth Rock said the rivian service center is not registered in MA as a glass shop.

Jason
Sponsored

OldSpool

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T- El Cap - 20's, Jeep Liberty
Occupation
Health Care
Got a significant crack/chip in the windshield that needs to be replaced.

Has anyone dealt with this in MA yet? Plymouth Rock said the rivian service center is not registered in MA as a glass shop.

Jason
Not sure where in MA you are but I am in Plymouth/Barstable County and have always used Tiny and Sons Auto Glass in Pembroke. The owner is a good dude and always sends his technicians for the latest trainings on ADAS. Between my wife and I they have done at least 4 windshields for us over the years and we have always been beyond satisfied.

I think the problem anyone (including Rivian) is going to have is sourcing the actual glass.

https://tinyandsons.com/

MD Waits

First Name
Milton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover. Escalade.
Good luck in MA. In Chicago a Rivian SC was the only place that could properly calibrate the new glass. Might be similar in MA.

Rivian R1T R1S MA Glass replacement 616C04F8-17F4-4B59-A5B7-B2E56A7A74FF

OP
OP
jshaff

jshaff

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Out of simply, I'm going to try repair with Safelite first

Sponsored

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

Insurance in mass covers glass replacement in any way you want. With such a new car no one else is going to be familiar with it, so unless you want to be the guinea pig for someone, I certainly would prefer going to the service center.
Frankly I recommend always going to dealers for glass replacement. I've had issues with all the 3rd party glass companies, in some cases not properly sealing and frying electronics. You will pay out of pocket then submit the invoice to insurance and they reimburse you.

RivianCurious

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EV, Rivian R1T
Clubs

I have a chip and crack on my R1T now. Rivian gave me two options: 1. Schedule with the service center and pay out of pocket. 2. Use one of their approved body shops. I called an approved body shop in Rockland, MA and they said if I went with them, I would still have to pay out of pocket and then get reimbursed from my insurance. To complicate matters, I need the truck inspected by the end of the month and I doubt that it will pass with a cracked windshield. If it gets rejected, I will have 30 days to repair it. It might come down to who can fix it sooner.

OP
OP
jshaff

jshaff

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Cybersecurity
I ended up just using the service center. My insurance was quick to reimburse.

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

I have a chip and crack on my R1T now. Rivian gave me two options: 1. Schedule with the service center and pay out of pocket. 2. Use one of their approved body shops. I called an approved body shop in Rockland, MA and they said if I went with them, I would still have to pay out of pocket and then get reimbursed from my insurance. To complicate matters, I need the truck inspected by the end of the month and I doubt that it will pass with a cracked windshield. If it gets rejected, I will have 30 days to repair it. It might come down to who can fix it sooner.
How large is the crack?
Crack needs to be dollar-bill sized in length to cause any issue for inspection, and replacement is super easy in Mass if you need to
But if it's just a chip don't even worry about it.

RivianCurious

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

How large is the crack?
Crack needs to be dollar-bill sized in length to cause any issue for inspection, and replacement is super easy in Mass if you need to
But if it's just a chip don't even worry about it.
It's longer than a dollar bill. 😔

Rivian R1T R1S MA Glass replacement 20230718_084243~2

Sponsored

RivianNE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla 3 LR Dual | 2022 R1T Quad
I ended up just using the service center. My insurance was quick to reimburse.
How long was the repair? Just got a crack 😒

OP
OP
jshaff

jshaff

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Cybersecurity
How long was the repair? Just got a crack 😒
Supposedly only a day, but it sat in the lot for like a week before they touched it.

RivianCurious

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I found a certified Rivian Autobody repair place in Rockland to replace my cracked windshield. I got an earlier appointment than I could from Rivian / Chelsea. The funny thing is the guy at the shop is from my neighborhood. Seeing my R1T in the neighborhood is one of the reasons why he decided to get Rivian certified. Small world 🌎
Sponsored