Sponsored

Lucid now has Wireless Apple Car Play . . . will Rivian put this on their road map?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Toyota FJ, R1S Quad Large Pack Feb 2023

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Not a chance, they've developed a better way to text via their infotainment. Oh wait....

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I’m sure new Lucid owners will be very happy with this. All 8000 of them per year.

fotoflux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Onewheel
I wish, but if they keep having demand above what they can produce, no. If Lucid had more reservations and was out building Rivian, they might be inclined to take things out of their playbook. but as it stands the only EV-only company currently producing vehicles that has CarPlay is Lucid and their reservation backlog is shrinking and their production is lagging. There is no incentive for Rivian to compete on the infotainment front to get people to switch.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Lucid has a bigger market cap than Rivian, they can afford to do this.

BoIsADog

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach-E
That's cool! Nice to see them do it. Rivian won't until Tesla does.

sccmexpert

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition - Glacier White/Black Mountain
Occupation
Principal Engineer
Lucid just announced that Wireless Carplay is now available on every single Lucid Air. Here is the email:

Rivian R1T R1S Lucid now has Wireless Apple Car Play . . . will Rivian put this on their road map? 1679599024379

I am truly hoping that Rivian will soon follow!

As you know, Lucid thought they could do a better job than Apple (and Google) for driver interaction in the infotainment world. We all know how that came out. I'm hoping Rivian will come to the same realization.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
I’m sure new Lucid owners will be very happy with this. All 8000 of them per year.
The idea of lucid is so odd to me. How small must their market be given the form factor and price of that vehicle. I have a neighbor somewhere near who has one (must have been a VERY early delivery as they have had it close to a year maybe?) and man that thing is ugly. Its like merlot red with a silver roof.

Sedans demand is low. Lucids are fairly expensive, and they're not the best looking thing. They will need to pivot quickly to remain viable.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
The idea of lucid is so odd to me. How small must their market be given the form factor and price of that vehicle. I have a neighbor somewhere near who has one (must have been a VERY early delivery as they have had it close to a year maybe?) and man that thing is ugly. Its like merlot red with a silver roof.

Sedans demand is low. Lucids are fairly expensive, and they're not the best looking thing. They will need to pivot quickly to remain viable.
I agree. I do like their focus on efficiency, which may be what led them to go the sedan route, but doing that while most other manufacturers stopped making sedans due to lack of sales doesn’t seem wise. Like you said - if they can’t add an SUV or something similar soon they are finished. Although they do have Saudi money backing them….

bummin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23R1S, 22WRX
Occupation
Whatever the wife says to do
If you scroll down to about the bottom of IOS16 features on the Apple site, you will see a brief description of the new CarPlay coming late this year. Would bet Rivian will time their release along side Apple’s as it is designed for vehicles with larger landscape/multiple displays.

Most likely an IOS-17 feature coming in or around September release of new phones and operating system. I will be watching for it as part of Apple developers program.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

Yeah, really seems they should have launched with Gravity instead of Air.

Alley Miller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Volvo XC60 Recharge
I wish, but if they keep having demand above what they can produce, no. If Lucid had more reservations and was out building Rivian, they might be inclined to take things out of their playbook. but as it stands the only EV-only company currently producing vehicles that has CarPlay is Lucid and their reservation backlog is shrinking and their production is lagging. There is no incentive for Rivian to compete on the infotainment front to get people to switch.
Rivian’s incentive should be the craptastic nature of their own infotainment system. It’s one of my biggest disappointments about the R1T.

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

Hopefully Rivian follows suit but who knows at this point. I would rather see them do Carplay/AA and focus on the rest of the vehicle from now on. We don't need native Apps at all, just the phone pieces.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.