Lucid Investor Presentation

RobBot

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Eh, I like it a little better than Rivian, but IMO Mazda is the king of UX still.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
Over the weekend Tesla announced that it was canceling plans for the Model S Plaid+, claiming that the base Plaid was "just so good" that the Plaid+ was superfluous.

However, the "plus" was touted as having over 130 miles more range than the base Plaid: 520+ miles vs. 390 miles. Musk is now claiming that no one needs more than 400 miles of range.

I had suspected ever since Musk announced the Plaid+ specs at Battery Day last year that he had made the 520+ range claim only because Lucid had recently announced that the Air had attained 517 miles of range in FEV testing using EPA protocols, and Musk went off half-cocked in trying to steal Lucid's thunder.

What this really means is that, for now at least, Tesla is abandoning the field in the range wars (and the associated efficiency wars) to Lucid.

This, given that the Mercedes EQS EPA range is likely to come in around 420 miles with a battery pack about the same size as the Air, means that Lucid's promise to enter the market with industry-leading range and efficiency is likely to materialize.

Last edited:

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
We have visited the Lucid Design Studios in Miami and West Palm Beach to sit in the cars. On Wednesday we're taking three friends with us for a second visit to the Miami showroom. The Sales Associates at both showrooms can't always answer all my questions, but they have given me a lot of information that I haven't seen on the internet and have been very candid in admitting some things that don't always redound to Lucid's credit. In other words, they're focusing more on honesty than a hard sell.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Over the weekend Tesla announced that it was canceling plans for the Model S Plaid+, claiming that the base Plaid was "just so good" that the Plaid+ was superfluous.

However, the "plus" was touted as having over 130 miles more range than the base Plaid: 520+ miles vs. 390 miles. Musk is now claiming that no one needs more than 400 miles of range.

I had suspected ever since Musk announced the Plaid+ specs at Battery Day last year that he had made the 520+ range claim only because Lucid had recently announced that the Air had attained 517 miles of range in FEV testing using EPA protocols, and Musk went off half-cocked in trying to steal Lucid's thunder.

What this really means is that, for now at least, Tesla is abandoning the field in the range wars (and the associated efficiency wars) to Lucid.

This, given that the Mercedes EQS EPA range is likely to come in around 420 miles with a battery pack about the same size as the Air, means that Lucid's promise to enter the market with industry-leading range and efficiency is likely to materialize.
I wonder what this does will mean for the 500+ mile Cyber Truck..... Wonder if he is setting the stage to reduce that as well?

2021R1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
P3D
We have visited the Lucid Design Studios in Miami and West Palm Beach to sit in the cars. On Wednesday we're taking three friends with us for a second visit to the Miami showroom. The Sales Associates at both showrooms can't always answer all my questions, but they have given me a lot of information that I haven't seen on the internet and have been very candid in admitting some things that don't always redound to Lucid's credit. In other words, they're focusing more on honesty than a hard sell.
That is refreshing and great training on the part of Lucid management. I have no idea why Rivian is so poor in the information area as well as late in rolling out sales/service locations. Very frustrating actually.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I wonder what this does will mean for the 500+ mile Cyber Truck..... Wonder if he is setting the stage to reduce that as well?
Not to mention the 620+ range of the Roadster II which was due in 2020 but is nowhere on the horizon at this point and seldom mentioned in Tesla circles these days.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000

The Plaid+ was to utilize the 4680 batteries. If your Tesla, do you use the 4680’s to put into a handful of Model S’s, or do you put them towards building some Cybertruck’s? Maybe later build the Plaid+ to reignite things? After seeing the Model S Plaid, I can’t wait to see the final Tri-Motor Cybertruck.

Sponsored

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If your Tesla, do you use the 4680’s to put into a handful of Model S’s, or do you put them towards building some Cybertruck’s?
The energy density by weight of the 4680 battery is about 15% higher than that of the 2170 batteries Tesla uses. The efficiency of the Model S is about 4.0 miles/kWh. That means that to get 520 miles of range out of a Model S would require a battery pack of around 130 kWh -- or 30% larger than the 98-kWh pack of the Plaid.

I maintain my suspicion that the Model S needs considerably more platform rework than just 4680 batteries to get 520 miles of range, and that is the real reason Tesla abandoned the project.

I suppose you could argue that Tesla has advanced its total system efficiency in the Model S update with things such as carbon motor sleeves that allow higher rpm's and a marginally reduced Cd. However, as the range of the two-motor version only rose from 406 miles to 412 miles with the update, that does not seem to be the case to any significant extent.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

You don't suppose Mercedes was just poking fun at Elon when they claimed a range of 420, do you?

Yeah....me either.

GMK83

First Name
Guerin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (preorder)
I love Rivian and look forward to getting a date for my R1S, but really enjoy the communication and honesty I get from Lucid as a reservation holder. Needless to say we’re looking forward to both vehicles.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I love Rivian and look forward to getting a date for my R1S, but really enjoy the communication and honesty I get from Lucid as a reservation holder. Needless to say we’re looking forward to both vehicles.
Me, too. I wonder how many other people are intending to get both a Lucid Air and a Rivian R1S.

I've been waiting for the Lucid a few months longer than the Rivian and I tend to follow Lucid news more closely. But there are days I suspect that, once I have both vehicles in the garage, I'm going to enjoy the Rivian more.

When I'm in my Tesla (at least as a driver), I really enjoy the sports-car-like driving dynamics. But then I get in my Honda Odyssey with its more upright seating position, it's roominess, and its surprinsingly agile handling, and I end up wondering why I even have the Tesla (except for the addictive electric drive train).
Sponsored

Last edited: