Sponsored

Lucid Factory Complete - shares assembly line photos

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Lucid has announced completion of their factory, and provided some photos.

At first glance, despite having similar initial delivery targets to Rivian, their plant/assembly line appear to be much further along than Rivian's.

https://electrek.co/2020/12/01/lucid-completes-electric-vehicle-factory-construction/

Full-disclosure, I have zero knowledge of auto manufacturing details, so it's just a novice opinion based on the photos shown.

Rivian R1T R1S Lucid Factory Complete - shares assembly line photos Int-Paint-shop_01

What do you think?
Sponsored

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
Lucid has announced completion of their factory, and provided some photos.

At first glance, despite having similar initial delivery targets to Rivian, their plant/assembly line appear to be much further along than Rivian's.

https://electrek.co/2020/12/01/lucid-completes-electric-vehicle-factory-construction/

Full-disclosure, I have zero knowledge of auto manufacturing details, so it's just a novice opinion based on the photos shown.

Int-Paint-shop_01.jpg

What do you think?
I think it looks awesome, I can’t wait to see more of these Pure EV manufacturers on the road. If I had the kind of money to buy a Lucid Air, I would probably get that over the Mercedes S class (I would reserve judgment until I saw the EQS). Mercedes and the other German luxury cars better bring their A game. Also, on a sidenote I would love to see Rivian do a sedan like them or the Model S,, or a wagon.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
They're 2 years older than Rivian, and have been out of stealth with their first product(s) for a year longer than Rivian has.

I'd hope, for their sake, that they're farther along. I also hope for everyone that they succeed, as more major players in the EV market is a good thing.

But since I already have my electric SUV and since they're not making a truck... I don't personally care.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
It isn't apparent that they are ahead, although based on production plans they should be a little ahead. In the recent interview with Bloomberg, the Rivian plant looked to have added more production machinery compared to September.

Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
I got the Lucid report in my inbox yesterday (also following Lucid) and it is very impressive what they have accomplished in one year. It is hard to tell, but probably all they have completed is the ability to produce prototypes or small production numbers. Remember the Tesla Model 3 factory problems? They were producing the Model S for a long time before they started the Model 3, which was to be high volume. They could produce low volume Model S, but not the high volume Model 3.

Anyway, the point is a couple robots and a small line will mean they can produce cars, but not a large number. I think Rivian is aiming much higher, at closer to Model 3 volumes than Model S volumes. That is a lot harder to do than what Lucid is doing.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/...tomation-robots-manufacturing-delay-1.4734829

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
I got the Lucid report in my inbox yesterday (also following Lucid) and it is very impressive what they have accomplished in one year. It is hard to tell, but probably all they have completed is the ability to produce prototypes or small production numbers. Remember the Tesla Model 3 factory problems? They were producing the Model S for a long time before they started the Model 3, which was to be high volume. They could produce low volume Model S, but not the high volume Model 3.

Anyway, the point is a couple robots and a small line will mean they can produce cars, but not a large number. I think Rivian is aiming much higher, at closer to Model 3 volumes than Model S volumes. That is a lot harder to do than what Lucid is doing.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/...tomation-robots-manufacturing-delay-1.4734829
Initial Tesla model S volumes was 20,000/yr. Isn‘t that about the same that Rivian is targeting?

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
We don't really know the production levels Rivian is shooting for, but 10,000 R1T/R1Ss in 2021 would seem about right. That's the likely number of LE pre-orders. But don't forget Amazon is slated to get 10,000 vans in 2021. There will be two separate production lines, one for vans and another for trucks, at Normal. If Rivian is actually able to produce 20,000 vehicles, vans and trucks, in 2021, it will be quite impressive.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
But don't forget Amazon is slated to get 10,000 vans in 2021.
I don't think that is true. They will get some vans maybe starting in late 2021.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
You're correct that we don't really know either the number of vans or trucks that will be produced in 2021. We do know there will be two separate transfer/production lines - one for vans and one for R1T/R1Ss. My best guess is about 10,000 trucks, LE vehicles, and at least 5,000 vans will be produced. Amazon's a big investor and it wants to electrify its fleet as soon as possible.

Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Initial Tesla model S volumes was 20,000/yr. Isn‘t that about the same that Rivian is targeting?
I found this on Bing, and I think it supports your point about the Model S. However, I really think Rivian is building their production line for Model 3 like volumes at the beginning, instead of adding new production lines later like Tesla did. You can build a small line, and run it at max capacity like Lucid appears to be doing. Or you can build a big one, and run it slowly or on fewer shifts until the process is stable enough and sales volumes are there to run faster. I think that is what Rivian is doing. It is not cost effective to run a production line way below capacity, but Rivian has said they are trying to learn from Tesla's mistakes.

Anyway, I am not an insider so I am only guessing based on what I have read to date, and because it seems to be taking Rivian so much longer than the competition. There has to be a reasonable explanation, and I don't think it is just because they are slow. Although that could be the real reason...

Rivian R1T R1S Lucid Factory Complete - shares assembly line photos 1607011554993

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Note that it is 2020 and Tesla is hoping to hit 500K this year.
Sponsored