Sponsored

Lower than previously announced pricing coming according to Reuters (69k for mid range)!

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
I'm not sure the Engadget article adds any new information.

Emphasis on the "had". These numbers are just the original base prices ($69,000 and $72,500) minus the US Federal rebate of $7500.

That Electrek article though :like:

I agree with your assessment too!

Rivian R1T R1S Lower than previously announced pricing coming according to Reuters (69k for mid range)! upload_2020-1-28_13-46-21

...The article's last paragraphe and the last sentence above caught my attention as I was thinking the same thing. At some point the reservation holders may be swayed to go elsewhere. I am not one of those based on what we know about the Rivian's promises thus far. With other manufacturers now coming into the market, there will be more competition and there will be "good enough" options for people to chose from... Personally I want to buy USA made, weather that be Ford, GM, Tesla, Rivian, Lucid, and others.... I test drove the iPace for fun...but no real storage. I have yet to test the eTron, but that has the same storage issues. I also want to make a purchase with a company with longevity. I want Rivian to succeed! More to come I am sure and I like this forum's activity. Once I have a Rivian I may be more active in the Rivian Owner's forum (wink).... chow for now!
Sponsored

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Tesla increases Model Y range to 315 miles, production begins now with deliveries in March
https://flip.it/Nuk_e9
https://flip.it/Nuk_e9
https://www.businessinsider.com/wit...oming-heres-a-look-at-its-storied-past-2020-1

Will the Model Y or Hummer-EV affect Rivian pricing and/or defections?

wondering if this article has any truth to it, and can Rivian learn from it?

We’re about to enter a world where Tesla is the cheaper electric car https://flip.it/__6LVj

Tesla has paved the way for EVs and will Rivian learn from Tesla’s mistakes?

Last edited:

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
I'd bet a few bucks on it being about the Model Y coming out way earlier than it was announced. There's not a lot of choices right now on the mid-upper-end. Waiting another year so I can spend another 2.5K for a metric butt-ton of awesome advantages over the Model Y feels a lot more reasonable due to that price cut.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
I'd bet a few bucks on it being about the Model Y coming out way earlier than it was announced. There's not a lot of choices right now on the mid-upper-end. Waiting another year so I can spend another 2.5K for a metric butt-ton of awesome advantages over the Model Y feels a lot more reasonable due to that price cut.
love the comment of “ metric butt-ton of awesome...”!

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Alright so what is this "prices unveiled soon" business? Configurator maybe?

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Alright so what is this "prices unveiled soon" business? Configurator maybe?
I was told by multiple Rivian people that the configurator will be Q3, but they might release some pricing examples/packages before then...TBD.

Rad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 and 2004 MDX, 2016 Jeep JK
Wow, Q3 is a long way away. Hopefully Rivian continues to feed the reservation holders bits and pieces of information to keep the reservation holders engaged and excited!

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

I was talking to a couple of the Rivian team members over the weekend at Fully Charged and gave them my $0.02 on why I think there is a price drop...

1. $3.6Billion with a B in investments.
2. Economies of Scale with a larger than realized pre-order number.
3. CyberTruck effect.

All three team members had sheepish grins...So who knows...

Lastly, to be somewhat pessimistic, there is also the possibility that the word "mid-range" could have been taken out of context and that what was actually stated is that you could get a 105kWh R1T configured "mid-range" spec-wise and it will fall under $69,900. I hope I am wrong as we banked so hard on the price drop that we put a deposit down on the R1S at Fully Charged...

Davidf

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline and Honda passport
Original pricing....new lower pricing...
It’s ALL speculation and testing with what the market will bear...throw out numbers and see what the chatter is...
What the competition is pricing and other factors.
No matter what the final build costs are Rivian is not going to be an INEXPENSIVE automobile . Period.
And it’s very hard to justify a $100,000 vehicle ...( 400 mile battery. All bells n whistles albeit the glass changing roof ,
Tax license et all ). Electricity is NOT free....you HAVE to calculate the extra expenses of putting in a whole solar system
In your home or you will be having $1,000 monthly electric bills ( I have friends with teslas and yes it’s $1000 a month until they put a solar system which costs around another $30,000 to get their electrical costs down).
So children... What is the true cost to purchase one of these incredible automobiles they are fantastic but how long will it take you class to break even by not purchasing gasoline? Yes the answer is 30 years!

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
180 kWh battery
400 miles
Average nightly off-peak kWh rate $0.15 (This is WA rate)
At $1000 a month we would have to be driving 14k miles a month.

Sponsored

805Badger

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Model X
Occupation
Physicist
I live in California and when we first got our two Teslas we didn't have solar. We've since added it but not because our electric bills were too high. With two Teslas charging at night using the EV rate plan, our electric bill was never more than $400 per month higher than our electric bill before getting EVs. Our gas bills for a Prius and Honda Accord (after posting edit: Just looked back through my spreadsheets and the data also includes a GMC Acadia) were approximately $1100 per month. So we felt that it was a good move to go electric. But that is just our experience.

We added solar later because we could given our location and we felt that it was the right thing to do. After we got some experience with how much our power consumption would be with the EVs, we spec'd a system that would offset our usage, so now we only pay the monthly fee to be connected to the grid and a small true-up each year because of differences in system output and usage. We calculated that the cost of solar, less the federal tax credit that our ROI would be about 6 years for electricity alone based upon our usage with the two EVs. We didn't add in the maintenance or savings we experienced in gas.

Again, that's just our experience and others may differ. I expect our consumption will go up when we replace a P85 Model S with a 180kW Rivian, because I am assuming it won't be as efficient. We may have to add on to our system to compensate or just have a higher true-up every year.

Last edited:

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

In your home or you will be having $1,000 monthly electric bills ( I have friends with teslas and yes it’s $1000 a month until they put a solar system which costs around another $30,000 to get their electrical costs down).
So children... What is the true cost to purchase one of these incredible automobiles they are fantastic but how long will it take you class to break even by not purchasing gasoline? Yes the answer is 30 years!
I am not sure where you are getting your electricity from or where your friends with Teslas are getting their electricity from...that just seems astronomical...Are these friends with Teslas living in 10,000 square foot homes with every light on 24/7?? I live in a modest 1,800sq ft house with a pool that is already charging an EV and my increase has been negligible at best...I am barely over $200...I do expect a bump once I get the R1T and another bump once we get the R1S, but neither will be charged at the same time.

$1,000 a month electric bill...

I don't think so.

RockDaphne98296

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E FE,
Occupation
Commercial Aerospace Interiors
I am not sure where you are getting your electricity from or where your friends with Teslas are getting their electricity from...that just seems astronomical...Are these friends with Teslas living in 10,000 square foot homes with every light on 24/7?? I live in a modest 1,800sq ft house with a pool that is already charging an EV and my increase has been negligible at best...I am barely over $200...I do expect a bump once I get the R1T and another bump once we get the R1S, but neither will be charged at the same time.

$1,000 a month electric bill...

I don't think so.
Same - we charge a PHEV (Lvl 2 Charger), have 2600 sq ft home, and run an RV all the time (we take it out nearly every weekend about 9 months of the year) and here in Washington state, near Seattle, our Electric bill is never more than $200. Actually, my electric bill went down more when my daughter moved out than it went up when we installed the level 2 charger :-D

Scubakirko

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota 4Runner, 2019 Sea Doo FishPro
Occupation
Preventative Maintenance
Is the Federal rebate still in effect? I hope it is as that would make purchasing one a little easier on the wallet.