Sponsored

Lower than previously announced pricing coming according to Reuters (69k for mid range)!

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Is the Federal rebate still in effect? I hope it is as that would make purchasing one a little easier on the wallet.
The U.S. is NOT offering a rebate but a tax credit of up to $7,500. Also, it's not an automatic credit of $7,500. The tax credit is only worth $7,500 to someone whose tax liability at the end of the year is $7,500 or more. So if your tax liability is, say, $5,000, then you can only apply $5,000 of the US EV tax credit to your income tax return.

I believe Trump's 2021 budget proposal would eliminate the US tax credit but it is currently still available for 2020.
Sponsored

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Original pricing....new lower pricing...
It’s ALL speculation and testing with what the market will bear...throw out numbers and see what the chatter is...
What the competition is pricing and other factors.
No matter what the final build costs are Rivian is not going to be an INEXPENSIVE automobile . Period.
And it’s very hard to justify a $100,000 vehicle ...( 400 mile battery. All bells n whistles albeit the glass changing roof ,
Tax license et all ). Electricity is NOT free....you HAVE to calculate the extra expenses of putting in a whole solar system
In your home or you will be having $1,000 monthly electric bills ( I have friends with teslas and yes it’s $1000 a month until they put a solar system which costs around another $30,000 to get their electrical costs down).
So children... What is the true cost to purchase one of these incredible automobiles they are fantastic but how long will it take you class to break even by not purchasing gasoline? Yes the answer is 30 years!
In addition to the other replies, I believe you may have missed the bigger picture here. Rivian, among others, is creating/adding to the movement of reducing the carbon emissions from ICE vehicles by giving the consumer the option to buy an alternative fuel vehicle, in Rivan's case BEVs. (There are plenty of interviews with RJ you can watch/read where he explains this.) This comes at a premium. Earlier adopters of any new movement (yes, EVs are still in their infancy especially when compared to the 100+ yr ICE industry) have to expect to pay more than the mainstream counterpart it's trying to replace. Now whether or not someone can end up paying less to own and operate an EV vs an ICE will depend on many factors. As with any consumer (ok most) cost will factor in pretty high on the check list (it does for me), but in the grand scheme of this movement it's about driving a vehicle that will be better for the environment. Now I may catch some flack for this as I'm sure there are plenty of people that could give a rats behind about the movement and environment and want to buy a certain EV for other reasons. That's fine, I have no problem with that ... as long as they realize this is not "primarily" about paying less, at least not at this stage of the movement to have alternative fuel vehicles be mainstream.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
The U.S. is NOT offering a rebate but a tax credit of up to $7,500. Also, it's not an automatic credit of $7,500. The tax credit is only worth $7,500 to someone whose tax liability at the end of the year is $7,500 or more. So if your tax liability is, say, $5,000, then you can only apply $5,000 of the US EV tax credit to your income tax return.

I believe Trump's 2021 budget proposal would eliminate the US tax credit but it is currently still available for 2020.
That includes every penny you've prepaid in fed taxes coming out of your checks. Your average single person making 50k wouldn't want to be trying to make payments on one of these barring a massive downpayment (unless they were planning on living in one), but they could easily benefit from the full EV credit.

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
1. $3.6Billion with a B in investments.
2. Economies of Scale with a larger than realized pre-order number.
3. CyberTruck effect.
I agree - but there are a couple more factors I see that could be driving the price down: First, there is the Ford investment that may allow some technology and manufacturing process sharing that could save production costs. Then you have the huge Amazon order which will allow Rivian to spread out development costs over more vehicles than are just in the R1T/R1S queue - probably a much higher number of units than the original estimate was based upon. There is also the ongoing evolution of battery tech which is driving down the cost of the battery packs...

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
I also agree but perhaps a few more factors could be added to yours. The Cox Automotive investment will help with trade-in and maintenance related programs; larger numbers of preorders will affect supplier relations (giving Rivian more leverage) and pricing; as you say, with the Amazon order, a much higher number of reliable preorders come into play. The ongoing expansion and investment in the Normal plant adds to the groundswell of good news and that too likely increases preorders.

In light of the above, your factors and mine, I hazard the CT effect on Rivian pricing is relatively less important.

Sponsored

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
I think their original pricing was meant to have people comparing the Rivian mid-range to a model S. Similar price, acceleration, and range (at the time) + No FSD upcharge and the tax credit. Hard not to see a lot more value in the Rivian even without the charger network advantage.

But then the model Y performance hit. Considerably cheaper car that also rides higher than a sedan with similar straight line specs and range. And we might lose the credit in 2021. Very similar value comparison to the mid range in that scenario with the new pricing. If we keep the tax credit, Rivian blows existing Tesla offerings out of the water. Without, it's still more than competitive even if you're not looking at all of the R1T/S features Rivian brings that Tesla seems disinterested in.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

There is a slight refresh of their code on their website (I set up automatic notifications when any code is changed). So far no change in pricing which has me wondering what they had mentioned prior about lowering.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
There is a slight refresh of their code on their website (I set up automatic notifications when any code is changed). So far no change in pricing which has me wondering what they had mentioned prior about lowering.
They didn't actually change the price, just what you would get for that $69K. Although not stated explicitly, "Starting from $69K" certainly strongly implied the 100 kWh pack version. The "lowered price" comes from that now being the price on the 135 kWh version with some features (electrochromic roof as an example) that were originally assumed to be extra cost options.
It is possible (likely?) that the 100 kWh version will go away either before or shortly after production begins (like the 40 kWh Model S) if they can give consumers the 135 kWh version at what they targeted as their entry level price.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
It is possible (likely?) that the 100 kWh version will go away either before or shortly after production begins (like the 40 kWh Model S) if they can give consumers the 135 kWh version at what they targeted as their entry level price.
Interesting thought & I would agree with this approach since R1T & R1S are tue "flagship vehicles to launch the brand".

Simplify & standardize as much as possible up front, and leave the smaller packs for future vehicles more focused on affordability.

tscanjr

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Tech Sales
Sneaky. I love it. Keep us laymen posted!

Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
What are your expectations when it comes to pricing?
105khw - 55k to 65k
135kh - 65k to 80k
180 kwh - 80k - 100k
I'm guessing the pricing will be around these ranges since in the latest update, they mentioned that the 67k will be for the mid size battery.

RforRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner, 2014 Equinox
180 kwh - 80k - 100k
Assuming you're talking R1T here but I think they'll keep it below $100K. Maybe $95K for a fully decked out truck. I can't wait to see what options and packages they offer.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Assuming you're talking R1T here but I think they'll keep it below $100K. Maybe $95K for a fully decked out truck. I can't wait to see what options and packages they offer.
Yeah I'm just referring to the r1t at the moment since its the one we know the most. I agree, I dont think a fully loaded r1t will go above 100k

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
Babbuino, your pricing estimates look about right, I believe, though as others have noted, the lowest priced variant, 105kWh, may not be available for a while, as higher spec'd versions will be produced first, and the smallest battery pack may eventually be discontinued.

But, choice is good and a lot of marketing gurus think a three-way choice is the most strategic way to market a product lineup, as it inclines folks to not take the entry level and move up toward the middle. As battery tech advances and battery costs drop, maybe there will be a new three way choice: 135, 180 and 210 kWh.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
What are your expectations when it comes to pricing?
Here are my guesses, and add $3K for R1S pricing. Hopefully the $7500 federal tax credit will remain in effect, which would be subtracted from my numbers below.

105khw - 60K to 75K
135kh - 65K to 80K
180 kwh - 75K - 90K
Sponsored