Sponsored

Low speed 'Tocking' when stopping or starting

Low speed drivetrain 'tock' when starting out or stopping? Would you contact service?

• Total voters

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

My ‘clicking / ticking / tocking’ sound has gotten progressively worse. Little over 1,000 miles.

I try very hard to be patient with issues like these, especially in ‘early adopter’ mode where we have to proceed with at least a little reasonable patience, understanding and support….

…as long as they make it right. Especially if it turns into a real impacting issue.

When I first heard it I thought ‘maybe a normal thing.’ Then I thought ‘yeah but it’s just one side’. Now I’m thinking ‘and it’s getting worse.’

That does not add up to ‘normal operation’.

So I do plan on raising it with service (constructively) and expect that at some point it will be rectified (along with anything that might have occurred additional wear as a result). And at this point I have no reason to think they won’t.

My strong suspicion given decades of knowledgeably owning and working on vehicles…and some other reports…and common sense…is that it’s a CV issue…likely related to the adjustable suspension (and when and how it raises and lowers…or did on prior software releases).

Not the end of the world yet. Gonna give them the heads up and opportunity to do the right thing. Hopefully doesn’t turn into anything more than that. If it does then my tone and volume will probably change…but trying to be patient and optimistic (which is not easy for me.)
It only gets so much worse. Mine has been the same for quite a while. Loud, creaking, tocking. Hasn't really gotten worse in the last 1000 miles though.
Sponsored

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
I have the clicks too, but there is some advantage to letting it get worse because it is more likely to get fixed.

Had a similar issue in my Tesla that after 10k miles would start and then get worse. Had to take it in 4 times to get resolved. If I took it in too early it would be "normal".

Every time after regressing/packing/torquing it would start again in about 10k mi, but would have to wait for it to be so obvious a tech could not excuse it as normal.

On the last visit (which has now resolved it) the tech said they used a strong cleaner and brush to remove rust/contaminants.

That's why I am okay waiting a bit before service can get to it. It's more obvious now.

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
I have the clicks too, but there is some advantage to letting it get worse because it is more likely to get fixed.

Had a similar issue in my Tesla that after 10k miles would start and then get worse. Had to take it in 4 times to get resolved. If I took it in too early it would be "normal".

Every time after regressing/packing/torquing it would start again in about 10k mi, but would have to wait for it to be so obvious a tech could not excuse it as normal.

On the last visit (which has now resolved it) the tech said they used a strong cleaner and brush to remove rust/contaminants.

That's why I am okay waiting a bit before service can get to it. It's more obvious now.
The internet can be both good and bad in this sense. I have a barely audible tock. The drive is impacted in no way. Is a problem? Not for me (today). If it gets louder and starts to drive horribly, then I’ll take it in.

But some are going to open tickets and clog up service centers because they heard a noise and read horror stories about drive trains falling out and wheels falling off.

People love to **** on the workers at the SC but there are also some vehicle maintenance hypochondriacs out here that are part of the problem, bringing in trucks that don’t really have problems.

Haven’t figured out if I’m one of the guys or bad guys yet. I think I’d ignore the knock (every car I’ve owned has made far more worrisome noises) but now I’m paranoid! :)

Carmelbythesea

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T & 2020 Tesla Model Y LR & R1S on order
I’m gathering tickets and also waiting for them to start mobile service appointments. After my last service visit that lasted two weeks.

I can handle my drivers side wheel clicking at low speed and my driver side window not fully going up and having to manually push it the last 1/8” up.

RealBillNye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
I'm not sure if I consider this a problem, but I'm looking for feedback about how many people are experiencing a similar behavior before I put in a service request.

At slow speeds, especially when set to high regen, my truck is making a 'tocking' sound when starting out or coming to a stop. I'm thinking there is a bit of slop in one or more of the motors, the half shaft, and/or the axel. I can make it sing the song of its people by basically rocking the truck back and forth using the accelerator.

I recall @OutofSpecKyle mentioning it in one of his videos and being fairly dismissive of it, but I'm uncertain if that is because the truck was a short-term loaner. It really doesn't bother me, honestly.

So, what say you - are you experiencing something similar? Would you start a repair order on it? Please vote in the poll and share your thoughts.

I am fairly certain that it was to do with the "hold" function activating at very low speeds.

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I want the knocking gone. I hear it over everything. It isn't real loud. I think it is most obvious to a driver who has put some miles on it. Ear then tunes into it. Most people who ride in it don't really hear it. I accept it on the bigger bumps, but it is the smaller ones where it is louder than the tire impact itself and then you can slightly feel it too. Just this constant knock....knock...knock.........knock....

New half shafts did not solve. Greasing splines did not help. I know they were greased with all the "bonus" grease left on the suspension and hub.

Truck is amazing....absolutely amazing...and I am now waiting this out a while(waiting for service to "develop and mature" more....hopefully they figure what is moving and where and how to eliminate or isolate it better.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
With an EV being silent owners notice every squeak, rattle, clunk, tock, tick, etc.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
With an EV being silent owners notice every squeak, rattle, clunk, tock, tick, etc.
Trust me .... I wonder if I am ocd about this... maybe all hubs, ball joints, cv joints, etc... all make noise and i am only noticing because I am in a EV. But others seem to say theirs don't make a thunp...thump...thump... on each bump. It is definitely a rebound thump I am hearing/feeling...not just the initial impact.

Then there is that squeeking along with it. Just a fair amount seems to be moving somewhere more than it maybe should.

But who knows....maybe I just have a sixth sense for this stuff...

schwartz83

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Manager
I don't have an explanation, but my low speed tocking has gone away. It was very annoying before. Now I'd say it might be there if I concentrate and have the fans turned off. But I could be imagining it too🤷. I'm at about 2,200 miles. I have a service ticket opened for that and a couple of other minor things - one of which also seems to have resolved itself.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I think you are having a totally normal reaction to the noises. You spent $75-$80k on a premium pickup truck and have high expectations. You did not purchase a $25k Ford Maverick pickup truck.

I took my R1T test drive (30 minutes) in May and purposely left the sound system off so I could listen to any strange noises. I didn’t hear anything abnormal coming from the vehicle during my combined city and freeway driving loop.

The only noise that stood out to me was some exterior wind noise above 65 mph.

Sponsored

PurpleTrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I dropped my vehicle off at SC today. Went out for a test ride with a tech. Basically he says "behaves normal"

We clearly heard clunking sound and I even showed this video posted by @dduffey:

The resolution is to "inspect the front suspension, torque everything there", but again he says it's normal; it's just making feel better, even though I told him it was not there at delivery. Only noticed it after alignment. In terms of rear drive train clunking, again that's expected, just like the service advisor told me a few months ago. I will report back again about noise when I get the car back.

I get the feeling that SCs don't share data with each other. I asked how many people had/complained the clunking issue, he said maybe 1 before me. I said what about the failure mentioned here "https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/so-your-alignment-is-bad-maybe-this-is-why.7371/", none of them was aware of this either.

Got mine back today. Yep, as expected, "torquing front suspension components" didn't solve any of the clucking issue. Waiting to see others try with their SCs.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Got mine back today. Yep, as expected, "torquing front suspension components" didn't solve any of the clucking issue. Waiting to see others try with their SCs.
That was the same fix and same outcome that I had. Tocking is still present.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Mine is more thumping. Like hit a big impact bump and thump, thump, thump(but also has a bit of knock to it).....with a little squeek squeek for good measure. New half shafts did not solve.

Last edited:

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
Trust me .... I wonder if I am ocd about this... maybe all hubs, ball joints, cv joints, etc... all make noise and i am only noticing because I am in a EV.
I've got some irritating suspension creaking and CV joint noise also that is definitely not normal. However I have long held most of the common EV forum "weird noise" complaints are due to the vast horde of non-car people now hearing normal noises since there isn't an ICE to mask them. 😄

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
I hear the noise, but would have never noticed it without read about it on the forum. EVs make you hyper sensitive to any noise.

These forums make everyone worked up about issues that may have gone unnoticed otherwise. Look at Tesla and the panel gap and paint issues. Some vehicles are truly terrible, but our Model X was pretty decent. If I looked closely I notice some odd gaps and paint imperfections, but I never paid that close attention to any vehicle in the past. I only looked because of all the reported issues online.

At this point unless vehicles start failing left and right, I would hold off and see if a fix/recall is rollled out. No reason to bog down the service center with superficial issues for the moment. I’m confident they will cover this under warranty if needed.
Sponsored