Sponsored

Low speed 'Tocking' when stopping or starting

Low speed drivetrain 'tock' when starting out or stopping? Would you contact service?

• Total voters

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I'm probably one of the most vocal people about being annoyed with the Tock, but there are times where I waffle a bit.

There are times where it honestly doesn't seem to be bad, and other times where it drives me crazy. It's especially bad in stop and go traffic even when using adaptive cruise control.

The last service visit they claimed it was "within spec" and they claimed they all had the tock to some degree. I asked them to show me on a new one or loaner, but they were unable to reproduce it on the loaner they tried it on.

I'm not sure what I should do at this point.

Ignore it as it otherwise is a good vehicle for my use case

Try to escalate it in hopes they fix it

The fact that new ones don't seem to have a tock pushes me to try to escalate it due to concerns that the tock will decrease its resale value. Why have a tock'ing one when you can have a non-tock'ing one?
My plan is to trade it in to Rivian for a new one at some point. So not that worried about it especially since powertrain is under warranty for so long. But winter is coming so that will shut it up for 3-5 months. Lol.
Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I'm probably one of the most vocal people about being annoyed with the Tock, but there are times where I waffle a bit.

There are times where it honestly doesn't seem to be bad, and other times where it drives me crazy. It's especially bad in stop and go traffic even when using adaptive cruise control.

The last service visit they claimed it was "within spec" and they claimed they all had the tock to some degree. I asked them to show me on a new one or loaner, but they were unable to reproduce it on the loaner they tried it on.

I'm not sure what I should do at this point.

Ignore it as it otherwise is a good vehicle for my use case

Try to escalate it in hopes they fix it

The fact that new ones don't seem to have a tock pushes me to try to escalate it due to concerns that the tock will decrease its resale value. Why have a tock'ing one when you can have a non-tock'ing one?
Well, mine is back... They got rid of it after my service appointment and I had a week of silence. I thought it was something rolling around in the bed, so I emptied it and the gear tunnel, no luck. It only does it under heavy regen or acceleration though, so I try to feather and avoid it. It feels like unintentionally cracking a joint or knuckle each time...

cjbot3000

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Clubs

I'm not sure if this is mentioned, yet, but in my case it was clutch packs.

Is you put it in conserve the noise may stop (no clutch packs in front)

Each rear has a clutch pack that has to engage/disengage, which I didn't realize.

Mine were (bad?). They tocked excessively.

So far so good with new clutch packs, with minimal rocking. 2 wks on now.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Well, mine is back... They got rid of it after my service appointment and I had a week of silence. I thought it was something rolling around in the bed, so I emptied it and the gear tunnel, no luck. It only does it under heavy regen or acceleration though, so I try to feather and avoid it. It feels like unintentionally cracking a joint or knuckle each time...
I wonder if the tocking is doing any long term damage to the drive units? That repeated shock loading seems like it could be doing damage to gears and bearings, but not sure if significant. 8 year/175k warranty anyway I guess....

suprteck

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Mechanic
My truck is at the service center now for the low speed tock. They already replaced the half shafts and ting washers. I can make the noise happen just by turning the steering wheel left to right at a stop. Sounds like it was coming from the steering rack near the front. But actually was coming from the subframe. They found a broken weld. Currently replacing it was the new updated subframe

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
My truck is at the service center now for the low speed tock. They already replaced the half shafts and ting washers. I can make the noise happen just by turning the steering wheel left to right at a stop. Sounds like it was coming from the steering rack near the front. But actually was coming from the subframe. They found a broken weld. Currently replacing it was the new update subframe
Please report back if that fixes it.
Sponsored