First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Just an update on this. Much colder where i am and the tock has all but disappeared. Much worse when it’s warm. Wish i knew why.
That pretty much indicates that it's a tolerance problem. Cold weather generally makes things contract and grease increases viscosity.

Another update. Had mobile service for the recall and this tock issue. They greased the half shafts and hub bearings (not sure if correct terminology) and it has eliminated the problem. I asked the guy how long the grease would last and he said it was rated for lifetime.
"...rated for lifetime." What's the lifetime of a defective asssembly?

I'm beating a dead horse, but I'll say it again. Rhythmic or cyclic noises under load from rotating driveline is never a good thing. Lubricants mask the problem. The oldest used car dealer trick in the book to mask a noisy valve train is to put thicker oil in the engine, or dump in STP Oil Treament.
STP even says it in their product description: "STP® Oil Treatment fights friction to helps protect against engine wear by providing a thicker cushion between moving engine parts." Yes, bad grammar and all!

Good luck...

Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

Another update. Had mobile service for the recall and this tock issue. They greased the half shafts and hub bearings (not sure if correct terminology) and it has eliminated the problem. I asked the guy how long the grease would last and he said it was rated for lifetime.
I had tires rotated at the SC and they lubed the half shafts on my truck and that also eliminated the noises I experienced.

seancalvillo

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Adventure Package El Cap w/ PPF 20" ATs
Occupation
Software Consultant
Had the same repair. Drove a couple of hours back home. Next morning it was back.
I am guessing mine will come back too. Mine was a mobile visit and I haven driven that much since.

seancalvillo

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Adventure Package El Cap w/ PPF 20" ATs
Occupation
Software Consultant
That pretty much indicates that it's a tolerance problem. Cold weather generally makes things contract and grease increases viscosity.

"...rated for lifetime." What's the lifetime of a defective asssembly?

I'm beating a dead horse, but I'll say it again. Rhythmic or cyclic noises under load from rotating driveline is never a good thing. Lubricants mask the problem. The oldest used car dealer trick in the book to mask a noisy valve train is to put thicker oil in the engine, or dump in STP Oil Treament.
STP even says it in their product description: "STP® Oil Treatment fights friction to helps protect against engine wear by providing a thicker cushion between moving engine parts." Yes, bad grammar and all!

Good luck...
Don’t disagree. What’s that saying about a tree falling in the forest that no one hears. The tree is still dead.

Sponsored

BourboNole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green/Forest Edge R1T on 21s
Had mine lubed/greased last week and noise hasn't come back yet. Much colder here over the weekend as well, but that's still mid 60's, so probably not the same effect as OP has experienced.

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
119xx

It finally it 30s here in Texas. I did notice it was less actually, but it was definitely still there on each drive. I will state that I just had mine re-lubed a couple of weeks ago and it was better, but certainly not by much. But it did tock less the last couple of days.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
It has to be a design, tolerance or supplier flaw. The parts involved with the noises are not new technology.

Our Model Y with 28k miles is as quiet as a church mouse. Zero tocking, ticking, clicking, etc. from the drivetrain. It’s definitely abnormal despite some service advisors saying “they all do that”.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
It has to be a design, tolerance or supplier flaw. The parts involved with the noises are not new technology.

Our Model Y with 28k miles is as quiet as a church mouse. Zero tocking, ticking, clicking, etc. from the drivetrain. It’s definitely abnormal despite some service advisors saying “they all do that”.
Just because they all do that, does not mean it’s normal. It means its a design and/or manufacturing defect. Full stop 🛑
Sponsored