iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Hello all!

I wanted to share my excitement to announce that Spider Roof Rack has launched its first Rivian specific product:

https://www.spiderroofrack.com/product-page/rivian-r1t

I've been running the prototype for a few months so AMA.

I really want to point out the cost.

Spider has no desire to institute a Rivian tax.

1685675103207.png

1685675131060.png

1685675151330.png

*I'm making no money on this product, just a satisfied customer
Very cool. I know very little about these so take my next comments with a grain of salt. I'm assuming you will design one for the S. Any way to add a light option on the front? It would look very smart.
Sponsored

k3g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Robotics
I'm interested in seeing a bunch more photos. Can we see how it attaches? Closer pictures would be nice too.

Basically when you start thinking "wow this is too many photos", take a few more and throw them on here!

BourboNole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green/Forest Edge R1T on 21s
How high does it rise above the shark fin? Just curious about clearance. Also any noticeable drop in the vehicle's cell signal with all that metal around the fin?

OP
OP
HighVoltOverland

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

Very cool. I know very little about these so take my next comments with a grain of salt. I'm assuming you will design one for the S. Any way to add a light option on the front? It would look very smart.
R1S is definitely on the radar, biggest hold up is sourcing a vehicle to measure for and afternoon/ test fit the prototype to

Light bar is compatible with bracket they sell, also have the option to request a cutout on the air dam when ordering, you can see examples of this on their other roof racks on the website

OP
OP
HighVoltOverland

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

How high does it rise above the shark fin? Just curious about clearance. Also any noticeable drop in the vehicle's cell signal with all that metal around the fin?
Current iteration is .25 inches from top of the tallest point of the shark fin, to the top of the extrusion crossbars

We are discussing making the sides slightly taller, ideally just tall enough to clear the fin with no issue.

no noticeable impact on wireless for me
used the hotspot for a zoom call while up in flagstaff with no issues, no cell dropouts driving up the lonely sections of the I40 or the I15 either

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
HighVoltOverland

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

I'm interested in seeing a bunch more photos. Can we see how it attaches? Closer pictures would be nice too.

Basically when you start thinking "wow this is too many photos", take a few more and throw them on here!
I'll get to it this weekend,
we are actually making one final tweak to the existing prototype (why it's showing advertised as a preorder still)
but I'll be sure to grab the stuff that isn't changing/ address stuff that will be changed for official gen 1

Last edited:

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
R1S is definitely on the radar, biggest hold up is sourcing a vehicle to measure for and afternoon/ test fit the prototype to

Light bar is compatible with bracket they sell, also have the option to request a cutout on the air dam when ordering, you can see examples of this on their other roof racks on the website
I'd give you my R1S but the problem is I don't have it yet. Can't you post a request here?

909phillyman

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian r1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I'd give you my R1S but the problem is I don't have it yet. Can't you post a request here?
lol...Well, in another related thread, I offered to touch base with Spider to see if I could be of help. That is...once I take delivery of my R1S in a week :). Whatever the case, hopefully Spider can get something in the pipeline for the 'S' soon!

OP
OP
HighVoltOverland

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

lol...Well, in another related thread, I offered to touch base with Spider to see if I could be of help. That is...once I take delivery of my R1S in a week :). Whatever the case, hopefully Spider can get something in the pipeline for the 'S' soon!
Yes, I have had some great offers from a couple forum members already, I'll be at the shop this weekend to continue work on our camp kitchen prototype, I'll see what we can work out for getting R1S measurements knocked out.

We did get a soft offer from Rivian Dad at the Expo, but he's in CO, so working with someone more local like Sean may prove to be the best opportunity for those in the market.

Sponsored

N7Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Mazdaspeed 3 | 2023 R1T
Clubs

Also interested on what the R1T would look like with a lightbar installed on this rack

xyskis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 4Runner, Sprinter
Occupation
Surgeon, engineer
Spider has no desire to institute a Rivian tax.
Looks like their priciest rack despite having a limited footprint. Maybe a limited rivian tax…? Nice looking rack. If minimal wind noise, I’d consider it for the R1S.

sac602

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Lexus NX Hybrid
Clubs

If Spyder has ideas on how to power a lightbar, I would definitely be interested in hearing how they do their wiring. Also, from experience on a current 4Runner with similar rack....these style racks are awesome! Super strong, useful and unlimitedly modular and configurable. The light bar will increase noise substantially unless you keep it very low profile; even a small change in deflection angle makes a pretty noticeable noise. Ill attach a pic of my 4Runner with a similar rack. I cant wait to do a similar setup with the R1S someday...

Rivian R1T R1S Low Profile Roof Rack by Spider No-Drill Roof Racks for R1T 4runner

Rivian R1T R1S Low Profile Roof Rack by Spider No-Drill Roof Racks for R1T 20220503_022024

Rivian R1T R1S Low Profile Roof Rack by Spider No-Drill Roof Racks for R1T 20220502_064024

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Friendly suggestion to Spider: Replace some of the product images with closer shots. We know it's a rack that goes on the roof. That's well established and does not need repeating.

For anyone wanting more info, Scott Lunt (aka Rivian Dad) interviewed them at Overland Expo Colorado. I do not like the mounting method. And note one of the brackets look like it's resting on paint, or very close to it.

Sponsored

Last edited: