First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
If Spyder has ideas on how to power a lightbar...
Least intrusive and most DIY-friendly option I can think of is a stand-alone rechargeable power source that is switched on/of via wireless remote fob. A rack mounted power pack with built-in solar-assist would be cool, with weather proof ports that allow charging either by plugging into truck's outlets or at home.
Sponsored

OP
OP
HighVoltOverland

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

Friendly suggestion to Spider: Replace some of the product images with closer shots. We know it's a rack that goes on the roof. That's well established and does not need repeating.

For anyone wanting more info, Scott Lunt (aka Rivian Dad) interviewed them at Overland Expo Colorado. I do not like the mounting method. And note one of the brackets look like it's resting on paint, or very close to it.

Hey there
Thanks for the feedback, I’ll pass it along,

addressing some of your concerns,

yes, the product page will be updated once the final iteration is cut and mounted, didn’t want to post super high res pics of a prototype bracket broadcasting problematic clearances that won’t exist in the sold product, side rails that are too low, no optimal angle on the front air dam, etc.

I understand the apprehension of pulling the headliner to swap in a machined part,
I too had that apprehension for a while
But after seeing some of the design decisions and what experience drives that, I’ve come around and didn’t mind the weekend project of dropping the headliner (which uses magnets to align, so it kinda convenient)

Spider as a company has at times done things that some may call “over engineered”
For instance, the ubiquitous low profile rack company thought double sided tape as the front mounting point on a (Lexus model escapes me) was fine,

Spider picked up a customer that had a low branch that tore the a competitors rack off his roof like a can opener, so Spider made and patented a billet aluminum anchor point that would provide a forward anchor point on the Lexus, and the whole thing is still cheaper than most competitors today.

I think it may be in the ORR section of the Rivian Dad video where he even mentions the concerns around interfacing with a cast metal bracket.

I don’t have any of those concerns with a drop on billet aluminum plate.

Also, 400 bucks for an adapter is silly to me, but to each their own.

Regarding paint contact, The ORR guy came over to our booth and said the same thing!
The prototype at the show had a single corner that could potentially enable rubbing, all mounting points are being made a few mm taller to allow for a bit more clearance and to eliminate any rubbing, also the crossbars are being shortened by a few mm to ever so slightly narrow the distance between the side rails, which will also give some clearance/ tolerance to the parts where the rack comes close to the painted body

Sponsored

JimboJones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not an R1S
A couple questions here - any developments on a product for the R1S?

And is there anywhere I can get more information on the mounting mechanism and/or the ability to swap out the stock/Spider mounting mechanism with something (DCE or otherwise) that leave the factory Rivian mounts in place?

OP
OP
HighVoltOverland

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

A couple questions here - any developments on a product for the R1S?

And is there anywhere I can get more information on the mounting mechanism and/or the ability to swap out the stock/Spider mounting mechanism with something (DCE or otherwise) that leave the factory Rivian mounts in place?
No official timeline I’m aware of for the R1S yet
I know that Tiger has had an R1S in the shop to measure, but not sure if he has the prototype cut yet

I’m not sure of the specs of the DCE, but the side rails on the roof rack are slotted, if the holes line up it may just work OOTB,
Other wise you may need to line up one bolt in the slots and drill a hole where the other lines up

Rivian R1T R1S Low Profile Roof Rack by Spider No-Drill Roof Racks for R1T IMG_0853

JimboJones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not an R1S
No official timeline I’m aware of for the R1S yet
I know that Tiger has had an R1S in the shop to measure, but not sure if he has the prototype cut yet

I’m not sure of the specs of the DCE, but the side rails on the roof rack are slotted, if the holes line up it may just work OOTB,
Other wise you may need to line up one bolt in the slots and drill a hole where the other lines up

IMG_0853.jpeg
Appreciate the update and the photo! You wouldn't be willing to measure the distance between those two bolt holes, would you?

Thanks!

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
I was at a local powder coating shop in Baldwin Park CA today picking up my 20" AT wheels. The owner or manager of the shop saw I had a Rivian and told me that a friend of his makes Spider roof racks and gets all his powder coating at his shop. He happened to have one of the low profile racks installed on his personal vehicle (Toyota Prius), so I got to see it up close. I will say, I am very impressed by the quality of the rack and look of the rack. Probably be my next purchase once the R1S version is finalized.

OP
OP
HighVoltOverland

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

Appreciate the update and the photo! You wouldn't be willing to measure the distance between those two bolt holes, would you?

Thanks!
SHoot, never saw this, I'll measure for you tonight
Sponsored