swaggner

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3M / Rivian R1T (future)
Clubs

Just hit 1000 miles on the R1T and it seems like the drivetrain keeps getting louder especially part throttle between acceleration and regen, and between 20-40 mph.

The noise seems “rotational” in nature, so I’m wondering if it’s noisy half shafts and/or CV joints. Has anyone else experienced this noise at part throttle (effectively coasting)?

I’ll try to post a video here.

Sponsored

OP
OP
swaggner

swaggner

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I should mention it’s in all purpose at standard ride height.

Superdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
Construction
I know this isn’t helpful- but I have the exact same noise. I find it gets worse the taller the drive mode. I haven’t researched what it could be so I’m here to join you in your question.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Not sure if my issue applies since it's hard to hear your noises in the vid. I had some noise while in conserve on freeways while in Driver+ and slight downhill where the drivetrain is in kind of no man's zone going between very slight accelaration and regen. I thought the SC wouldn't do anything but they contacted engineering and replaced my front drive unit

OP
OP
swaggner

swaggner

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Not sure if my issue applies since it's hard to hear your noises in the vid. I had some noise while in conserve on freeways while in Driver+ and slight downhill where the drivetrain is in kind of no man's zone going between very slight accelaration and regen. I thought the SC wouldn't do anything but they contacted engineering and replaced my front drive unit
Thanks for the response. I’m hoping it’s not a bad drive unit.

Would you be willing to share a screenshot of the work order paperwork? It may help me describe the issue to the SC I’ll be using (Richmond).

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Just hit 1000 miles on the R1T and it seems like the drivetrain keeps getting louder especially part throttle between acceleration and regen, and between 20-40 mph.

The noise seems “rotational” in nature, so I’m wondering if it’s noisy half shafts and/or CV joints. Has anyone else experienced this noise at part throttle (effectively coasting)?

If it’s a clunking noise between regen and acceleration in stop and go traffic…yes…I have that. Austin SC said normal. But some have actually had drive units replaced, like WSea…guess it just has to be worse sounding for them to consider.

OP
OP
swaggner

swaggner

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

If it’s a clunking noise between regen and acceleration in stop and go traffic…yes…I have that. Austin SC said normal. But some have actually had drive units replaced, like WSea…guess it just has to be worse sounding for them to consider.
Mine isn’t a clunk - it’s more of a constant “whine” while the drivetrain is slack.

When under load, either accelerating or regenerating, it basically goes away.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Mine isn’t a clunk - it’s more of a constant “whine” while the drivetrain is slack.

When under load, either accelerating or regenerating, it basically goes away.
Mine is imperceptible audibly, but I can feel something in the pedal...of course SC couldn't detect it. Oh well, long warranty.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Thanks for the response. I’m hoping it’s not a bad drive unit.

Would you be willing to share a screenshot of the work order paperwork? It may help me describe the issue to the SC I’ll be using (Richmond).
Here it is. I didn't tell them it squeaks. Said it makes an eh, eh...eh...eh...eh eh...eh like noise.
Rivian R1T R1S Loud drivetrain between acceleration and regen Drive Unit

OP
OP
swaggner

swaggner

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Here it is. I didn't tell them it squeaks. Said it makes an eh, eh...eh...eh...eh eh...eh like noise.
Drive Unit.jpg
Thank you for sharing!

Sponsored

sjg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ram 1500
I've uploaded a video of what I am hearing. I only get the noise in the rear. If I go into conserve mode (front wheel drive only), the noise goes away.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It's normal. It doesn't get worse than that unless you have other issues. Rivian can put grease on the halfshafts but it isn't a permanent fix.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I've uploaded a video of what I am hearing. I only get the noise in the rear. If I go into conserve mode (front wheel drive only), the noise goes away.

Same noise for me....SC says normal, but they did what Dark-Fx mentioned and its quieter....if it annoys you drive in snow mode in stop and go traffic....I stopped using high regen altogether and can modulate the noise away in standard. Hopefully, eventually....there will be a more permanent fix, but to me it the weight of the vehicle and torque of the motors....not sure it can be helped. There needs to be more dead space between regen and acceleration.

Kacey3

First Name
Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition; MotoGuzzi V7II
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

I just started hearing this same noise about two weeks ago (after 3 months and 6,000 miles of ownership). I don't know why it started all of a sudden, but clearly it's not "normal" if it wasn't there before and now it is.

From the comments above, it sounds like it's not critical and I will probably wait for a more opportune time to hit up the SC to look at it, but it's definitely new to me.

Tony R1S

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S QM 21

Did you get this resolved? I had exact same noise and it was driving me crazy because it started happening at all speeds. Just had my drive unit replaced like WSea and my drives are so much more enjoyable now cuz the noise is completely gone!
Sponsored