Sponsored

Loud AC motor

DallasBBQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Defender 110 Dynamic X, R1S
Is anyone experiencing noise issues with their air conditioner motor? When the temperature reaches the 90's, mine starts sounding like a weed eater. I took my car to the Dallas service center and informed them that they needed to drive the car for 10-15 minutes before the noise would occur. The next day, they called me to say they had driven the vehicle but found nothing wrong. I picked up the car the following day and noticed that my range was still the same as before. When I questioned the service technician, he informed me that the paperwork stated they had driven the car for 10 miles, but they had actually only gone around the block. It's really frustrating. I'm planning to schedule a second service request for next week. I'm just curious if anyone else is experiencing a similar noise issue.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DallasBBQ

DallasBBQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Defender 110 Dynamic X, R1S
This is what it sounds like from the outside

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Kinda sounds like the compressor is vibrating something from the vid.

Karltrep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 R1S, ‘20 Tesla MY, ‘67 Porsche 912
Occupation
Car enthusiast
Same issue. Took delivery of R1S one week ago.
i can feel the vibration in the floorboard and pedals.

Appreciate you sharing if they are able to fix it at your next appointment. I’ll hold off scheduling until we hear back from you.

Thank you

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h

Sponsored

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Same with my T whenever it gets above 90. The pedals vibrate and the steering gets weird too. I think I’m gonna have to set up a service appointment too

longhornguy2015

First Name
Darshan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura 2014 rdx
Occupation
IT Analyst
Mine does the same thing. Have a June service appointment. Here is a video of it. Really frustrating.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

I read someone had their compressor replaced, but probably all that is needed is some rubber and/or foam NVH isolation. The Model Y was like this with it's heat pump and Tesla gradually improved the NVH of it to where you could barely feel it was doing it.

It's normal though for loud fan noise when it's working overtime to cool things down. The Bolt EV, Tesla, and now Rivian all have crazy loud fan speed from my observation....I would imagine other EV behave similarly.

I would bet money this is NVH and not equipment malfunction.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I read someone had their compressor replaced, but probably all that is needed is some rubber and/or foam NVH isolation. The Model Y was like this with it's heat pump and Tesla gradually improved the NVH of it to where you could barely feel it was doing it.

It's normal though for loud fan noise when it's working overtime to cool things down. The Bolt EV, Tesla, and now Rivian all have crazy loud fan speed from my observation....I would imagine other EV behave similarly.

I would bet money this is NVH and not equipment malfunction.
Dry luuuuuube

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

Mine is also very loud inside the truck. It’s louder inside than out. I have an appointment next month.

Sponsored

jpmc86

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mercedes GLK 250, 2009 Mercedes E63
Occupation
Engineer
Does anyone have a post January build 2023 that is willing to take a pic of the part number of the compressor? It’s relatively easy to see. Removal of cowl (5 clips on each side) and then just snap a pic of compressor.

This way we can see if there has been a changes I have a pic of my January 2023 build.

Tony R1S

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S QM 21
So I found out by accident last weekend that if battery conditioning is enabled (map destination set to a fast charger), the same AC noise/vibration happens much quicker than just turning on AC. I happened to finish a 10min (160kW rate) charging session, so not sure if that is needed as well. Given high enough temps (> 85C), the issue can happen as well without the battery conditioning, but may take a lot longer.

jpmc86

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mercedes GLK 250, 2009 Mercedes E63
Occupation
Engineer
Actually confirmed with a march build R1S. Same compressor as earlier cars.

ATXrONEt

First Name
CB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software
I
Is anyone experiencing noise issues with their air conditioner motor? When the temperature reaches the 90's, mine starts sounding like a weed eater. I took my car to the Dallas service center and informed them that they needed to drive the car for 10-15 minutes before the noise would occur. The next day, they called me to say they had driven the vehicle but found nothing wrong. I picked up the car the following day and noticed that my range was still the same as before. When I questioned the service technician, he informed me that the paperwork stated they had driven the car for 10 miles, but they had actually only gone around the block. It's really frustrating. I'm planning to schedule a second service request for next week. I'm just curious if anyone else is experiencing a similar noise issue.
I got a loaner today and it definitely does not have a loud wimpy motor sounding AC. Because of this, I will be putting in a second ticket. The loaner has a low hum and no loud noises.
Sponsored