Sponsored

Loss of the exhaust note…sex without noise.

Greenwater

First Name
Green
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S
Occupation
software engineer
A number of big time Ice car brands already make zoom zoom sounds to make their buyers feel happy inside the car from speakers. BMW is one of the notable ones.
Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Big V8 noises are fun to hear. As I’m pulling away I can hear them shifting, tires screaming as tney Get loose and out of shape, until they get off the gas when they finally realize, OMG… they P100D is a rocket ship. Then They turn right at the first chance they get .. just to gather themselves again.
I was sooo wishing I had the Rivian this past weekend. An A-hole in an AMG was intentionally driving 65 in the left lane. When anyone started to pass him on the right, he floored the throaty sounding AMG up to about 90, backed off to 65 and repeated this crap 5 or 6 times. Woud have loved to put him in his place with a sleeper-looking Rivian, lol.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
An early morning (still dark) country drive this weekend found a few spots with deer congregating in the roadway. It never fails that a quick jab of the clutch with a perfectly-timed , rev-matched downshift sends the deer running out of harm's way. I suspect the sneaky-like-ninja R1S won't have the same effect.

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

An early morning (still dark) country drive this weekend found a few spots with deer congregating in the roadway. It never fails that a quick jab of the clutch with a perfectly-timed , rev-matched downshift sends the deer running out of harm's way. I suspect the sneaky-like-ninja R1S won't have the same effect.
Maybe the blinker noise will clear them, but you'll probably have to resort to the horn.

Sponsored

IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara,Jeep JKU, Infiniti G37X, R1S
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

Aftermarket exhaust systems for cars are probably one of the more popular mods so clearly many folks care about the exhaust note. More power and a specific note that suits their taste. Ever notice there are no Telsla "cold start" videos on YouTube! ha ha.
I need both a car that gives me an excellent visceral experience but nice and quiet is fun too at times.
I old though. Probably a better question for my kids!

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Noise (and light) pollution is just that; pollution.

The number of otherwise socially aware people that insist on proclaiming their presence to all those near (and far!) is interesting, if annoying.

We live in a world where the population is increasing dramatically everywhere, including previously rural areas where we "adventure". Surely, being environmentally responsible goes beyond air and water quality.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
Noise (and light) pollution is just that; pollution.

The number of otherwise socially aware people that insist on proclaiming their presence to all those near (and far!) is interesting, if annoying.

We live in a world where the population is increasing dramatically everywhere, including previously rural areas where we "adventure". Surely, being environmentally responsible goes beyond air and water quality.
Can't tell if you're advocating depopulation, noise/light pollution control or both.

blturner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Space Pirate
Thought I’d address a pink elephant in the room…the loss of the emotional exhaust note. Sex without noise. Get there fast with no audible emotion. Tesla owners care to opine?
I am happy to report that my new Rivian DOES make a noise under hard acceleration. Not some loud let everyone else know kind of noise. But the electric motors are audible in the cabin and whir in a very sexy way all their own. It can be hard to hear due to the other noises from the passengers. More than about half scream or cuss when I drop the hammer.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
You say you want something that screams out loud?

I highly recommend Hearts' "Crazy on You" at as much volume as the Meridian speakers can handle.

If you do, pay close attention to the drummer, Mike Derosier who plays two drum solos in the background during the "Aaaahhh" part of the chorus. The first is good. The second will blow you away. Mike did that recording in one take - no cut-ins or outs. It is probably one of the more underrated solos out there.

Sponsored

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
Chiming in on the original subject from last year (while playing some Heart - because of course), I think the best answer is to have both :). I have my V8 for track days and running the occasional errand because, yes, the sound of a V8 is awesome. But you know what's even better for dailying? No random droning. Being able to actually tell that you have a good sound system. Being able to hold a conversation with your back seat passengers on the highways while doing 80. And (when the person next to you bought a Tesla instead of a Corolla), not having to listen to the overstressed four cylinder slushing through "gears" on its CVT next to you. (OK, I have no idea what sort of transmission is in a Corolla nowadays).

Of course everyone will have their own preferences, but on a whole (and especially as long as there are ICE performance cars to buy for those who really appreciate them and will fork out the cash), getting rid of all the noise is glorious.

I think one of the best things about EVs is that they can replace all of the ICE drivetrains in "appliance" vehicles. They give the driver better driving dynamics, and they give the rest of us more peace and quiet. Think about what % of the cars on the road that you hear you actually want to hear. It's probably not many. 10%, if that.

BillyBob

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Traverse
Occupation
Just retired
Think about what % of the cars on the road that you hear you actually want to hear. It's probably not many. 10%, if that.
Yup. Ferrari...Lamborghini...Harley Davidson...(OK, not a car, but still...)

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
As a child of the muscle car era, and someone who shamefully still has a cylinder index beyond 50, I too will miss the rumble of a NA V8, or a TT V8 with uninhibited aftermarket exhaust and round pipes. I’ve confessed to having a man crush on David Borla.

Every EV person says that will pass as fast as one roasts every ICE that lines you up.

Us old dinosaur killers can surely learn new tricks.

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
2030: Washington State goes silent and I will love it.

I can't wait for all of the unnecessary noise to go away with ICE, and I'd be 100% for laws banning noise making devices for people who can't get over the sound of combustion.

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
As an automotive enthusiast, I try to find the good in almost all things. When there is new technology, I welcome it. I try to keep an open mind. The world is changing and we need to adapt. All enthusiasts should be the same way.

It frustrates me to no end when all you see on Tesla (open) Facebook groups are "blah blah no soul, I'd rather have my 20 year old V8", or "have fun with your appliance". Those people are not enthusiasts. They are trying to get noticed. Did they complain when the color TV came out? Or when dual-clutch automatics came out? I mean hey, go have fun being left behind figuratively and literally. Does a V8 Challenger/Mustang really have soul more than a Tesla? I mean it makes a lot of noise in a straight line and makes you feel good. But minus the noise, what's the difference? Don't get me wrong, they're cool cars too but what REALLY is the difference when you list it out.

I've had several fun cars throughout the years. High revving 4 cylinders, high revving flat 6 911s, naturally aspirated V8s, twin turbo V8s, etc. I now have a Rivian R1S and Tesla Model S coming soon. Bring on the new tech!

Will I miss the engine/exhaust noise @ 9000rpm or a beefy twin turbo V8 rumbling upon startup? Sure. But there are other benefits to the Rivian/Telsa that the others can't provide. But I'm keeping my 9000rpm car anyway. Just selling the V8 :p.

My only "complaint" about Tesla and maybe Rivian in the future is just how many of them are there. In Southern California (and I'd imagine CA in general), every 3rd car is a Tesla. Granted they are Model 3/Y and not the S but you don't stand out. I like my vehicles to be a little unique.

Rivian is still new and unique but if it takes off, who knows.
Sponsored