Sponsored

Loss of the exhaust note…sex without noise.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
I’m on my second Tesla and I’ve driven a few others here and there…. The near silence is amazing. And when you really put your foot down, the motor has a nice sound like a jet turbine or similar that’s actually quite pleasant. I had an older model S once for a loaner and the family and I kinda laughed the whole day we had it because it had a rather loud motor, like a jet spooling up for take-off.

The Mach-E sounds like a dentist drill. Bleh. They initially pumped fake V8 Mustang sound into the cabin and it was so cheesy and lame that no one liked it. Then updated the software to make it optional, now it’s still there but default is off.

My 2018 Ford Expedition pumps fake V8 noise into the cabin, so do some cars by other automakers and it just plain sucks. EVs don’t need an exhaust note or additional sound effects. They’re great just with the minimal noise they make.

I know some people can’t get past the “I need to hear the big engine“ thing…. I love the sound of a naturally aspirated V8 myself, but the engineer in me just knows all that beautiful noise is actually the sound of inefficiency. I’ve had more fun driving my Teslas than most any other car I’ve ever owned and I have owned lots of cars over the years. After you get used to launching an EV, all the old ICE sports cars just seem kinda lame. Can’t wait to take my R1T off road with the windows down and not have to listen to engine noise or breathe gas fumes.
Big V8 noises are fun to hear. As I’m pulling away I can hear them shifting, tires screaming as tney Get loose and out of shape, until they get off the gas when they finally realize, OMG… they P100D is a rocket ship. Then They turn right at the first chance they get .. just to gather themselves again.
Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I get it. I love the sound of a V8's rumble. My sounds from my Cayenne's engine was a decent part of what made is so fun to drive. At the end of the day though, this is just all about change. Some people embrace it. Some people are repulsed by and look for reasons to reject it.

Sure, I'll miss that V8 rumble. But I think I'll get over it as I take in all the sounds of nature when I'm off-roading in the mountains. Honestly, that's a change I can't wait to experience.

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Porsche Taycan CT4s, '23 Rivian R1T
Four Tesla's and two Taycan's in the past five years. Forget engine noise. Nothing sounds better than Pink Floyd's Wish You were Here while doing 95mph on I-70 in eastern Utah with a great view of the La Sal's to the south and no engine noise.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
well before EVs were forced to play terrible noises because people are dumb in parking lots and walking down the street you could sneak up on them and scare them silly, it was quite fun ninjaing around the parking lot without trying. Mine still does that, unfortunately the Rivian's won't. I'm still annoyed you can't change it as mine would play 'Move Bitch Get out the Way'

The VW ID.4 sounds almost jetson-esque with it's noise.

That said, when you are being mushed into your seat as you get to 60 in 3.0s the noise is more the giggles of the occupants that is just as fun to me. I don't miss the noise that much anymore, now as Depeche Mode sang, I enjoy the silence.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I assume the appeal to you of a loud exhaust is that you equate the loud noise with fast and powerful vehicle.

But once it fully sinks in that electric cars are significantly faster and more powerful than old fashioned gas vehicles, the association with loud noises and power is reversed. Loud engine is associated with old and slow.

Sponsored

State11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, R1S, Defender D90
My wife has had a dual motor 3 for 3 years and it is a ton of fun to drive. While I appreciate the rumble, I'm over it. Plus, I'll always have my Defender to remind myself of what things were like back in the day.

Btw, anyone else relieved to discover opnwide is a dentist?

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

I assume the appeal to you of a loud exhaust is that you equate the loud noise with fast and powerful vehicle.

But once it fully sinks in that electric cars are significantly faster and more powerful than old fashioned gas vehicles, the association with loud noises and power is reversed. Loud engine is associated with old and slow.
The latter has always been my perception, especially in motorcycles. Those loud exhaust systems on a certain brand were generally associated with a lack of power.

OldGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Grand Cherokee 4xe
Clubs

The latter has always been my perception, especially in motorcycles. Those loud exhaust systems on a certain brand were generally associated with a lack of power.
Actually, it has nothing to do with the volume. I HATE the loud, strident noise of those souped up cars with an exhaust note that feels like a pencil being jammed in your ears. For me, it's the exhaust note of a low rumble that puts the smile on my face. (Interestingly, I have a 2013 CB1100 and one of the biggest complaints for the bike is that the exhaust is not loud enough. I think it's perfect for the 'spirit' of that bike. Of course, given the sales of Screaming Eagle parts to owners of another brand of motorcycle, I am sure I am in the minority :D

UP Finn

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1992 HMMWV, 2018 4Runner ORP, 2020 Model Y Perf
I do miss the visceral experience of my Trackhawk. The supercharger whine. The exhaust burble between shifts. It was faster than my Model Y performance too (not by much). Do I miss gassing up all the time? No. Do I miss taking a trip and my stops only taking 10 minutes instead of 45 minutes. Yes.

OP
OP
opnwide

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
Actually, it has nothing to do with the volume. I HATE the loud, strident noise of those souped up cars with an exhaust note that feels like a pencil being jammed in your ears. For me, it's the exhaust note of a low rumble that puts the smile on my face. (Interestingly, I have a 2013 CB1100 and one of the biggest complaints for the bike is that the exhaust is not loud enough. I think it's perfect for the 'spirit' of that bike. Of course, given the sales of Screaming Eagle parts to owners of another brand of motorcycle, I am sure I am in the minority :D
Completely agree. I’m not talking about straight-piped teenaged Honda Civics here, but the quality noise from a precision engine. Although I’m not a biker, I can’t imagine the day when Harley Davidson is fully electric with black leather and ZZ Top beards whispering past me in complete silence. As Buddy Holly and Ritchie Valens would say, “that’s the day, the music died”.

Sponsored

blturner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Space Pirate
I don't like for my victims.. err.. I mean other drivers to know that I want in front of them till I am already there. The exhaust noise is a traitor in my book. I do feel a little guilty about it, but I am looking forward to pulling up in the empty lane of the stoplight and still being able to change lanes and turn onto the highway comfortably ahead of the other car. Some mornings I am late for work and I want to make up time with no actual traffic infractions. I am thinking that 0-35 faster than the car beside me can react is legal. Doing it silently may even seem polite in comparison.

OP
OP
opnwide

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
I don't like for my victims.. err.. I mean other drivers to know that I want in front of them till I am already there. The exhaust noise is a traitor in my book. I do feel a little guilty about it, but I am looking forward to pulling up in the empty lane of the stoplight and still being able to change lanes and turn onto the highway comfortably ahead of the other car. Some mornings I am late for work and I want to make up time with no actual traffic infractions. I am thinking that 0-35 faster than the car beside me can react is legal. Doing it silently may even seem polite in comparison.
Look, I’m one year away from being an empty nester and both my boys heading off to college. I have politely merged onto the highway in my ICE for 18 years. I’m looking forward to leaving the bedroom door open with a few good grunts as I merge unapologetically into the far left lane. Methane discharge be damned.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I love the low rumble & growl of a V8, and the smell of race fuel. I think it's mostly nostalgia though, and the thought of what those cars can do. I don't think I'll miss it in the Rivian, there is still something very cool (equally?) & a bit eery about hauling ass with very little noise.

tomis916

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I'm not too hung up with the move to electric with cars / trucks (the 0-60 is amazing), but the end of ICE motorcycles such as the V-twin Ducatis, V-4 Aprilias, or an in-line four cross-fire Yamaha with a good pipe is a bit sad for me. And, replacing the whole clutch, brake, throttle routine with the push of a button makes it hard for me to be excited about riding an electric motorcycle. But, I recognize it is time to move on. Besides, I'm getting too old to keep up with those bike's performance anyway. ?