Sponsored

Loss of the exhaust note…sex without noise.

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
Thought I’d address a pink elephant in the room…the loss of the emotional exhaust note. Sex without noise. Get there fast with no audible emotion. Tesla owners care to opine?
Sponsored

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Huh?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
The EVs I’ve driven all sounded like spaceships to me. There is not a total absence of noise.

Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I miss the sound of a combustion engine's exhaust exactly as much I miss the smell a biological engine's exhaust. Get there fast with no olfactory emotion. Any horseless carriage owners care to opine?

OP
OP
opnwide

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
I will personally miss the grunt of the engine between 7000-8000 RPM shouting “Hell Yes” and the quiet nothing of the EV whispering, “Kudos, good job”.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
I’m on my second Tesla and I’ve driven a few others here and there…. The near silence is amazing. And when you really put your foot down, the motor has a nice sound like a jet turbine or similar that’s actually quite pleasant. I had an older model S once for a loaner and the family and I kinda laughed the whole day we had it because it had a rather loud motor, like a jet spooling up for take-off.

The Mach-E sounds like a dentist drill. Bleh. They initially pumped fake V8 Mustang sound into the cabin and it was so cheesy and lame that no one liked it. Then updated the software to make it optional, now it’s still there but default is off.

My 2018 Ford Expedition pumps fake V8 noise into the cabin, so do some cars by other automakers and it just plain sucks. EVs don’t need an exhaust note or additional sound effects. They’re great just with the minimal noise they make.

I know some people can’t get past the “I need to hear the big engine“ thing…. I love the sound of a naturally aspirated V8 myself, but the engineer in me just knows all that beautiful noise is actually the sound of inefficiency. I’ve had more fun driving my Teslas than most any other car I’ve ever owned and I have owned lots of cars over the years. After you get used to launching an EV, all the old ICE sports cars just seem kinda lame. Can’t wait to take my R1T off road with the windows down and not have to listen to engine noise or breathe gas fumes.

OP
OP
opnwide

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
I’m on my second Tesla and I’ve driven a few others here and there…. The near silence is amazing. And when you really put your foot down, the motor has a nice sound like a jet turbine or similar that’s actually quite pleasant. I had an older model S once for a loaner and the family and I kinda laughed the whole day we had it because it had a rather loud motor, like a jet spooling up for take-off.

The Mach-E sounds like a dentist drill. Bleh. They initially pumped fake V8 Mustang sound into the cabin and it was so cheesy and lame that no one liked it. Then updated the software to make it optional, now it’s still there but default is off.

My 2018 Ford Expedition pumps fake V8 noise into the cabin, so do some cars by other automakers and it just plain sucks. EVs don’t need an exhaust note or additional sound effects. They’re great just with the minimal noise they make.

I know some people can’t get past the “I need to hear the big engine“ thing…. I love the sound of a naturally aspirated V8 myself, but the engineer in me just knows all that beautiful noise is actually the sound of inefficiency. I’ve had more fun driving my Teslas than most any other car I’ve ever owned and I have owned lots of cars over the years. After you get used to launching an EV, all the old ICE sports cars just seem kinda lame. Can’t wait to take my R1T off road with the windows down and not have to listen to engine noise or b reathe gas fumes.
Appreciate that. I am actually a solo/non-corporate dentist myself, and I have the absolute best quality German hand pieces/“drills”, and appreciate high quality-and my patients appreciate quiet drills. My name is on my door. Multigenerational families in my practice understand it. I fully appreciate new technologies, but there is an emotional disconnect with the silence of EV’s. Will everyone get over it and adopt? Absolutely. Will I? Yep.
Doesn’t mean I won’t miss a few good
“Hell Yeses” instead of “kudos, good job”.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

After driving an EV for years, all the noise that ICEs make seems just obnoxious and unnecessary. I say that as someone who put performance exhaust on previous vehicles.

Sponsored

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
I’ve been waiting for the absence of exhaust noise for forty years- about the time I first rode in a golf cart.

‘Why aren’t there cars like this?’ I thought ?…

OldGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Grand Cherokee 4xe
Clubs

My wife had a Macan and I gotta tell you that nice low-end rumble as she was pulling out of the garage always put a smile on my face. The Audi etron she has now lacks that aspect of personality.

For me, however, cars are visceral experiences . The thing I hated most about getting the RIdgeline was losing standard transmission. The car I had before it (Golf R with upgrade short shifter) was a blast. Now some people hate manual transmissions....and I get it....it isn't a whole lot of fun in stop and go traffic. But I do miss those things. In the case of the R1...well I'm coming from a Ridgeline, which ain't exactly known for its exhaust note, so I won't miss it at all. At the end of the day, isn't everything about compromises, with both pluses and minuses. I am 100% confident that the pluses of the R1T over the Ridgeline will outweigh the minuses (by a lot).

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
Few things I enjoy more then eating a souped-up, grunting, crackling, Mustang off the line in my whisper quiet, 6 seat SUV... all that sound and fury... it's like a 5 year old throwing a fit in the check out.

Lots of noise, and still won't get what they want.

So, do I miss the noise? Not at all, because I know I can eat the other guys lunch without any peacocking needed.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
My wife had a Macan and I gotta tell you that nice low-end rumble as she was pulling out of the garage always put a smile on my face. The Audi etron she has now lacks that aspect of personality.

For me, however, cars are visceral experiences . The thing I hated most about getting the RIdgeline was losing standard transmission. The car I had before it (Golf R with upgrade short shifter) was a blast. Now some people hate manual transmissions....and I get it....it isn't a whole lot of fun in stop and go traffic. But I do miss those things. In the case of the R1...well I'm coming from a Ridgeline, which ain't exactly known for its exhaust note, so I won't miss it at all. At the end of the day, isn't everything about compromises, with both pluses and minuses. I am 100% confident that the pluses of the R1T over the Ridgeline will outweigh the minuses (by a lot).
My daily sedan has a 6.2L V8 that sounds great, but I won't miss the sound that much. I will definitely miss the manual transmission though as I like "being one" with the vehicle (all of my vehicles are manual). I'm hoping electric vehicle manufacturers find a way to get active drivers more involved. I'm worried I'll be bored driving an EV as it's got the same level of driver involvement that my kid's Power Wheels has.

TAZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
I will personally miss the grunt of the engine between 7000-8000 RPM shouting “Hell Yes” and the quiet nothing of the EV whispering, “Kudos, good job”.
You should hear 9000 RPMs! Buy those cars now because they’re the last of them.
Sponsored